• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nfish

Beach Comber
Jul 18, 2010
Can anyone explain to me the rising costs of these events. I was buying two tickets to the 4 hour tasting, that I have attended annually since the mid 90's and the rising cost floors me. For two tickets it's $269 with all the taxes.

The Seaside School event is now $65 for just the 5K with $90 for the half marathon. Clearly one of the most expensive runs in the country. Not to mention the cost of entry rises even further after December.

I am happy to be going to the Marina Center to hear Neil Young for $30 per ticket this Monday. Great singer for a great price.

With the current times, everything worth less, our homes and other assets. Why are these events still on the rise?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I think probably both events charge what the market will bear. They are very popular. We'll see if they end up full or not but my guess is yes. The Seaside school is awesome - I hope they get a lotta dollars.

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have attended other wine fesitvals. I have attended quite a few over the years and Seaside charges based on the name/location - not on the value (IMO). No big deal - if Seaside is your thing, that's fine. I would encourage real wine enthusiasts to explore other festivals and experience the difference.
Concerning the the Seaside run, again, if the Seaside Charter School is your charity of choice - go for it. Everyone has an opinion/preference as to which organizations, in this economy, should be supported.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
With the 5K, you're paying for the Vera Bradley bag. Big Time.

As for the 1/2, it's in line with the entry fees for New Orleans Mardi Gras, Apalachicola, and Birmingham, but significantly more than what you'll pay to get to the line for Pensacola, Tallahassee, Warner Robins, and if you're looking for a cheap half Timberlake at Eglin (we promise paved roads for this one) right around Thanksgiving will set you back only $20 (though I don't know if that gets you a t-shirt)

As for most expensive, they aren't close. Disney will charge you $135 for their half, though that comes with a hug from Mickey at the finish line.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
IMO part of the price is increasing costs to put the events on, and the rest is you (and others) still willing to pay the prices you think are high.

But since you couldn't pay me to carry a Vera Bradley bag, I am not their target demographic and my perspective may be skewed. ;-)

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I'm with you on the Vera Bradley bag and I really have never see the attraction. I go to the Red Wine Festival if I have guests and they don't usually balk at the entry fees. I guess if they get sufficiently drunk, it's considered a fair price.......go figure. :D

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
With the 5K, you're paying for the Vera Bradley bag. Big Time.

As for the 1/2, it's in line with the entry fees for New Orleans Mardi Gras, Apalachicola, and Birmingham, but significantly more than what you'll pay to get to the line for Pensacola, Tallahassee, Warner Robins, and if you're looking for a cheap half Timberlake at Eglin (we promise paved roads for this one) right around Thanksgiving will set you back only $20 (though I don't know if that gets you a t-shirt)

As for most expensive, they aren't close. Disney will charge you $135 for their half, though that comes with a hug from Mickey at the finish line.

Vera Bradley actually pays to sponsor the run and donates the bags...I don't get the attraction with the bags either but, to each his own. And, I would bet the thing will be sold out again this year.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Save for the clusterf*** with the parking at Publix the last time I did it, it really is a nice and well run race with a lovely course for the half. And if you're doing the race as part of a destination weekend deal, the entry fee is a pretty small part of that.

I'll probably not be back this year though, both because I'd like to see a bit of a different course for my next half (I've done Seaside half three times) and because I don't want to have to commit probably two months out from race day because it will sell out again. So it's me and not the race, though I do think the 5K is a really poor value for the money, even with the bag.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Or you can volunteer for the festival and get in for free while helping a worthy cause. :D