• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ready2Go

Beach Comber
Jun 27, 2007
St. Louis
Looking to come down to SOWAL the week of Aug. 9 or 16 (won't know for another week). We usually stay on the west end of 30A around Blue Mountain Beach. I am trying to find a less expensive rental this year and have noticed a few rentals in these two areas that will fit our budget. Can you tell me the good and bad of each? Is one in a better location and proximity to the beach? How are the pools? I will be driving down with my 11 & 13 yr. old and my other son and husband will be flying down. Any info will be greatly apppreciated. Thanks.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
They are both nice.

Paula on the board has a house in Cottages at Camp Creek. PM her and I am sure she can tell you more.

Minnie has stayed at Magnolia several times. PM her and I am sure she can fill you in.

Good Luck!

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Both are very nice areas, I will send you a more detailed report of our stays at Magnolia Cottages.

I have driven through Camp Creek but Paula will be able to give more details on that location.

We enjoyed being in Seacrest, which was a new area for us as we usually stay further West.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Hi Ready2Go. I do have two 3 bedroom/2 bath cottages at the Cottages at Camp Creek and I love them. Of course, I'm biased so you'll want to get feedback from others. I will say that I bought into the Cottages at Camp Creek before Magnolia was built and I like the type of cottages and layout of Magnolia cottages as well. I would have considered buying there as well because I like the location and style. They are 1/4 - 1/2 mile from each other, with the Cottages at Camp Creek being closer to Alys Beach (1/2 mile), Villages of South Walton (1 mile) and Rosemary Beach (1.2 miles). Here's what I like about Cottages at Camp Creek (and we're booked all summer though we have the week of August 16th available at one of our cottages - Key Lime:

The cottages are new and well designed - you get a lot of good spaces in 1100 square feet, one story. Many/most of the cottages have huge porches.

The community is small (about 20 one story and 7 larger cottages) with a huge pool (great for doing laps and in August it should have few people in it - the water is very comfortable - our favorite time to go to the cottages is in August)

The beach is uncrowded and beautiful (it's uncrowded because we don't have things like restaurants or anything else that bring people to the area - just cottages and homes and condos).

The community is very laid back and family-friendly. No traffic other than people who are staying there.

I love it at the Cottages at Camp Creek and am very happy we bought there. For us, it's a real (somewhat undiscovered) gem. In general, people along 30A pick places that feel special to them - there are a lot of styles for homes/condos/communities each with their own uniqueness and conveniences depending on what's important to you. I send you a private message with more information about our cottages in particular.

Minnie, who has happily stayed at Magnolia, has also seen one of our cottages so she can give you additional information.

Wherever you stay, have a great time.

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
Looking to come down to SOWAL the week of Aug. 9 or 16 (won't know for another week). We usually stay on the west end of 30A around Blue Mountain Beach. I am trying to find a less expensive rental this year and have noticed a few rentals in these two areas that will fit our budget. Can you tell me the good and bad of each? Is one in a better location and proximity to the beach? How are the pools? I will be driving down with my 11 & 13 yr. old and my other son and husband will be flying down. Any info will be greatly apppreciated. Thanks.

I have stayed at both. I much prefer Magnolia. The cottages are larger and most have screened porches. The pool at Cottages of Camp Creek is nice.

We use orlando vacation retreats and sometimes our 3 bed 3 bath with private master and screened porch has been as affordable as $95 a night.

:wave:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
The only thing I would add is that the beach access for Magnolia is a shorter walk than for Cottages and is wood walkway where the one for Cottages is sand from the road to the top of the dune.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I agree that the cottages at Magnolia are a bit bigger than the 3 bedroom/2 bath one story cottages at the Cottages at Camp Creek. You could ask the owner how big the cottage is. The "larger" 3 bedroom one story at CCC are about 1100 square feet. The pool is indeed larger at CCC and there are fewer cottages that share the pool. As for beach access, whether you are closer or farther from the beach also depends on where the cottage is that you rent. I'd recommend renting a cottage toward the front of either community because the walk to the beach will be shorter, but both communities are close to the beach access (it's about a 4 minute walk for us). As for beach accesses, they're both nice and the beach itself is pretty similar. For me, the trade-off would be whether the cottage layout/equipment/furnishings meet my family's needs, the quality/size of the outdoor spaces (e.g., porches), the pool, price. Each community has its advantages, and I think a family would be happy at either one. I think you'd be fine at either place so whatever you choose is likely to work out for you.

You'd also want to ask the rental owners if there's any construction going on in the community. None going on that I know of at CCK and you can check for Magnolia.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
My in laws rented at Magnolia Cottages last year, very affordable unit in Aug, around $1000 total for a 3/3 for the week with a nice screened porch and open kitchen, living dining area. The pool area was nice, not huge but wasn't crowded during their stay. We hung out at their pool a couple of afternoons since the niece and nephew were beached out and there were never more than 2 other families in the pool area with us.