• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
Have any of the County Commission Candidates addressed the idea of possibly starting some type of mass transit system within the county? Perhaps some would like to comment on the issue, as well as, their thoughts on the resumption of Amtrak service between Jacksonville and New Orleans. It is my understanding that Representative Boyd is actively pursuing the Amtrak resumption.

Respectfully,
Rocketman

Have any of the County Commission Candidates addressed the idea of possibly starting some type of mass transit system within the county? Perhaps some would like to comment on the issue, as well as, their thoughts on the resumption of Amtrak service between Jacksonville and New Orleans. It is my understanding that Representative Boyd is actively pursuing the Amtrak resumption.

Respectfully,
Rocketman

This is an interesting question but is one I would like the answer to, as well as how to pay for any local initatives that are proposed.:clap:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I would think this is a back burner issue for the next couple of years as the county is desperately looking for ways to slash the budget. It is a wonderful idea, but rather than clouding the waters with what if's I'd like to see the candidates fix the current problems.

Nothing personal rocketman I think it's a wonderful idea.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
This (the idea for mass transit) is the kind of forward thinking that seems rare around here. Unfortunately, our commissioners seem to always be reacting...there is little in the way of vision and planning for the future. And, almost nothing for sustainable growth and development.

Now, I see they have eliminated the budget for the Economic Development organization. Maybe that specifically is good...if the person in the job was not doing anything.

But, I believe we have a real need for forward, out of the box thinking about where this county is going for the next 20 to 30 years. It seems that our leaders leave that decision up to the developers...it would be nice if the County had a plan for managed growth and robust economic development--something that encompassed more than just a dependency on tourism.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
This (the idea for mass transit) is the kind of forward thinking that seems rare around here. Unfortunately, our commissioners seem to always be reacting...there is little in the way of vision and planning for the future. And, almost nothing for sustainable growth and development.

Now, I see they have eliminated the budget for the Economic Development organization. Maybe that specifically is good...if the person in the job was not doing anything.

But, I believe we have a real need for forward, out of the box thinking about where this county is going for the next 20 to 30 years. It seems that our leaders leave that decision up to the developers...it would be nice if the County had a plan for managed growth and robust economic development--something that encompassed more than just a dependency on tourism.

Which is why I'm looking forward to seeing the financial reporting for the District 5 candidates. I believe it was due on the 17th?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Which is why I'm looking forward to seeing the financial reporting for the District 5 candidates. I believe it was due on the 17th?

Me too!

I wish I had time to do a survey of the actions of the Commission over the past four years: to determine how many had been reaction to someone's perceived problem and how many were taken from a leadership point of view with the goal of improving the quality of life and economy of Walton County.

Someone earlier posted that leadership was not the only requirement for an effective commissioner; that is certainly true, but I would point out that we can all be very competent-- and still just be doing the wrong things.

I would venture to say that effective leaders by definition are competent, have the welfare of the whole in the forefront of their minds; and are honest. Add some enthusiasm to that and I believe you would have a good combination. When I have recruited employees, I always looked for enthusiasm...I could teach them the skills I needed them to use, if they were enthusiastic and honest.

I prefer a candidate that is new to the process--one who has some passion/enthusiasm for what he or she is about to undertake...and, if they possess leadership skills, then they are able to persuade others to work with them.
but, even with all this, there still needs to be a vision -- and I do not think Walton County has a vision.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't get too worried about that, as a smart developer contributes to every candidate with a decent chance of getting elected, to cover their basis. With the downturn in the market, we will likely see less contributions from the developers.