County removing articles from beach?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bluznbeach, May 25, 2009.

1. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

My wife and I have heard that the district attorney has told the beach patrol that the ordinance prohibiting items left on the beaches overnight will no longer be enforced. That would appear to be true, judging by the canopies, chairs, etc sitting on our part of the beach. This would be another big waste of money since the county was spending a lot to put out the word about the policy of removal, which now seems to be dead.

Comments?

2. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

:bang: and :angry:

3. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

The TDC has been removing abandoned items left at County owned public access areas. I have checked to make sure this continues and will post later if I learn something has changed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

We were within about 50 yards of the South Wall Street public access.

5. BeachSiO2

BeachSiO2 Beach Fanatic

The county-owned access at Wall Street is only the width of the road so the 50 yards would be outside of those boundries and County ownership.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

My thought is that most beaches in America (with notable exceptions) are left relatively clean and clear in the evening compared to nearby panhandle beaches. Tourists know that if they leave items on the beach they may not be there in the morning. If they don't remove items they are gathered by local authorities, or people taking it for their own gain. I doubt there are any serious legal concerns with keeping beaches clean.

I'm not sure how we got into this situation where many people who visit here think they can leave their junk on the beach for as long as they want.

I doubt the county has the manpower to handle the load on holiday weekends, or the busy season for that matter. I think the way to end the problem is to make a commitment to funding education and enforcement, hire subcontractors if necessary, and take a hard line for a couple of years until it becomes common knowledge that you must "remove it or lose it".

7. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

"I'm not sure how we got into this situation where many people who visit here think they can leave their junk on the beach for as long as they want."

Kurt, I think the problem stems from the perception in visitors minds that this is the "Red Neck Riviera" and so anything goes. That and many of the beach users are "Red Necks" whose own front yards look like junk yards. No pride in their own private property so why would they have any in the public's. Sorry if this sounds like a harsh assessment but true IMO.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  8. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

You may be right about some beaches, but here in SoWal it is more an attitude of, "I am paying a lot of money to you people, I can do what I want". A clear case of bad apples spoiling the bunch.

9. scooterbug44

Laziness and entitlement both seem to be factors IMO. :angry:

And it's definitely not every visitor or tourist. I've seen many people do a great job of cleaning up after themselves - even when that meant toting a double kayak, coolers, and stuff for several kids up and down the multiple flights of stairs each day, so it's definitely DOABLE!

10. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]

Dave Sell <dsell@beachesofsouthwalton.com>
    Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 08:23:13 -0500
    To: Kevin Hargett <harkevin@co.walton.fl.us>
    Conversation: items on the beach
    Subject: Re: items on the beach

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Kevin,
    We were instructed b y the county attorney to immediately cease removing items off the beach unless is a hazard.
    Dave
    [/FONT]​

11. Interested Girl

Interested Girl Beach Fanatic

Sounds like Edgewater has won another one.

12. scooterbug44

What is their definition of "hazard"?

Do I have to actually break a bone tripping over the crap in the dark or would some scrapes, bruises, or a sprain suffice? :angry:

13. ASH

ASH Beach Fanatic

What disappoints me is the lack of concern for fellow people. Stuff left for days on the beach are also often left indefinitely when they decide to go back to whereever they come from and what are they going to do with 4 beach chairs and a big bucket full of shovels and toys.
    So they leave them on the beach thinking they are doing someone a favor by giving them free stuff....except nobody knows they left and soon, everything is washing in the surf.

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the conscience some must have to quietly bury their empty beer cans or cigarette butts on the same beaches children are playing on.

14. Yzarctoo

Yzarctoo Beach Fanatic

I feel for the sea turtles who have to twist and turn to get around stuff...or they just give up trying....disappointed in our county also...if you say you are going to pick up stuff then do it!

15. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

Nothing good can come from this. :bang:

16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Is anyone in a position to get a statement from the county attorney as to why this position is being taken?

It would help us all to get this directly...

17. Interested Girl

The Edgewater lawsuit over the ordinance is the cause. The ordinance is flawed.

18. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

Yes, especially considering how much they spent sending flyers to homeowners telling them to make sure all the renters knew that the county was going to remove everything (no exceptions) that was left behind on the beaches at night.

19. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

Can you elaborate on what you know about this lawsuit?

20. Interested Girl

Edgewater sued over removal of personal property from private property and for the order to remove a volley ball net.

The two sides mer last week in the Judges chambers concerning the basis of the suit and the counties failure to produce certain public records.