County sued for $3 Million+

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Matt J, Dec 17, 2008.

1. AAbsolute

AAbsolute Banned

Watercolor, Watersound and 12 days a year 59th Str
    You're funny

2. Interested Girl

Interested Girl Beach Fanatic

The county entered into mediation with the plantiff and purchased the property in question for $550,000. That payment was made from the BCC land account. Attorney fees were paid for by the insurance company. The carrier excludes payments on Burt Harris claims, so you and all taxpayers in Walton County paid for the claim. Part of the settlement discussions revolved around the potential recovery of part of the claim payment by selling the property to the FDOT for drainage use. The settlement price was approximately 3 times the current appraised value.

3. AAbsolute

AAbsolute Banned

Watercolor, Watersound and 12 days a year 59th Str
    I heard that FDOT chatter too. Let's see if the future says it comes true or was just chatter to soften up the blow.

4. Dragnet

Dragnet Beach Comber

If us taxpayers were trying to get some extra money for school activities or parks I'm sure Walton County would have written it all over the press. Since this is money that us taxpayers are paying out for this "frivolous" lawsuit, you don't see much of it. John R. correct me if I'm wrong, Walton Co. had to give Roessler Properties over 300k for a lot that was bought for 37k. two years earlier ? Walton Co. was telling them they couldn't build on it. Hence "frivolous" lawsuit, No. ? on the list. :scratch:

5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Since you mentioned education, it's "the taxpayers" not "us taxpayers".

6. Dragnet

Dragnet Beach Comber

Trying to figure why the county attorney pulled the Camping on the Golf, Bert J. Harris claim off the BCC agenda yesterday?

7. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Probably he didn't. Usually when an agenda item such as that is pulled, it is by the party who requested the item to be put on the agenda in the first place.

8. Dragnet

Dragnet Beach Comber

Anyone have a idea what the Dollar amount of Camping on the Gulf 's Bert J. Harris lawsuit against Walton Co. is? :cool:

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Well if they pulled it I would say zero since that would mean they dropped the issue.

10. Interested Girl

Interested Girl Beach Fanatic

No one of the attorneys could not be there. Game still on.

11. noplacelikehome

noplacelikehome Beach Comber

I heard 31 million. And heard the camp ground is suing cause the county commissioners didn't vote that property into the FLUM map in 2005 for that area which would have allowed them 4:1 ratio. In fact the cc's, I heard, took it out of the FLUM purposely. Then told them it was platted as one lot on 15 acres orignally and "tough" - it was going to stay that way - unless they wanted to go through a DO and subdivide. Property rights taking?

12. Dragnet

Dragnet Beach Comber

31 MILLION DOLLAR Bert J . Harris lawsuit against Walton Co. and taxpayers haven't heard a word? Does the county have insurance to cover this? I sure hope so.
    :trainwreck:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  13. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

If it like the last one, the county insurance excludes Bert Harris claims.

14. Dragnet

Dragnet Beach Comber

31M is a lot of money we could use for schools and parks. What were the actions taken by the Walton Co. Planning Department, and the Walton County Board Of County Commissioners against Camping on the Gulf, that triggered a 31M Bert J. Harris takings claim? I see Theriaque, Vorbeck & Spain are the attorneys for Camping on the Gulf. These guys wouldn't take this case unless it has merit. :bang: