• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Just posted on FB that when my kids went to Butler there was a walking field trip every spring to Topsail. I can't remember what grade it was but maybe 4th or 5th grade. It was a nice walk, although hot, and the kids did learn something & had fun. Not sure if that has changed in recent years.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Attached is the proposal for the Cypress Dunes Beach Access.

I'd like to note that most school districts would require the kids to get on a bus to go to this access for liability reasons.

Also, no where in anything I have found has the School Board or Superintendent been asked if people would be allowed to use their parking lot. That's an added liability and should probably be reviewed by the School Board's attorney. I can't wait to see the tourists here for spring break trying to park at Butler. Should be a pretty good show.

Attachments

• Requestfromwaltoncounty.pdf
    728.5 KB · Views: 325

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Two questions:

1. Who thinks we have enough walkovers?
2. If you think we need more, what solutions do you propose?
It is much easier to poke holes in proposals than it is to be part of the solution.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Apparently the plan would utilize the parking at Butler during the summer months. Regardless though it's a bad idea.

For those that are behind this that might be lurking: Did you know that you will ultimately be on state park land? Did you know that the rules of use are different from county beaches?

How is it that everything in Walton County that smells like a dog pile is some how drawing a connection to the School District?

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
this has nothing to do with the school board other than you trying to find a paper-thin, specious reason to drag them into it, simply borrowing a school parking lot for summer parking isn't whatever conspiracy you are trying to piece together.

This is about increasing access to the beach on the west end of 30A, something there's a distinct lack of right now, and faux "environmentalists" like Ms. Cobena who is happy to move here so long as nobody else follows her. and her trying to tell people miles away from her where they may or may not go. It's more about control than conservation.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I really would like more information. There doesn't seem to be much at this point. Next week's meeting will tell the story, I suppose. I do like increased access to our extraordinary parks, IF the plan makes sense, and IF that access is made available to the general public, not just a neighborhood.

My gut tells me though it needs to remain a preserved beach in the care of the state park system.

I thank Celeste Cobena for her long time environmental preservation efforts in South Walton. She's made a real difference for all of us.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The state park is available to all that PAY the entry fee...

Don't need a sky-way, walk way to cater to tourists and weddings.

1000 ft+ walk way at almost $1mil is crazy.

Don't we have a problem with parking?

Why add to it?

As for the Butler school issue it is important. Do we now turn school lots I to overflow parking instead of addressing the real issues?

Leave State Parks ALONE.

Thanks.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Two questions:

1. Who thinks we have enough walkovers?
2. If you think we need more, what solutions do you propose?
It is much easier to poke holes in proposals than it is to be part of the solution.

1. No one
2. I would propose looking at existing accesses to see how they can be expanded to add parking and bathroom facilities.

Which lot do you own in Cypress Dunes?

The buses for liability excuse doesn't fly. They walk almost as much to tour E O Wilson

Wow, I had no idea that children were made to walk over the 331 bridge. Reread my original post.