• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hollibird

Beach Lover
Okay... I am from Baltimore, Maryland and I know my crab cakes. The absolute only place where I found something comparable was Sarah K's Gourmet in Destin. (same place where best buy, cracker barrel are). they are about $8.50 and they are nothing but crab meat. no fillers, no peppers, onions, bread... nothing to take away from the crab meat. BUT I always sprinkle Old Bay (Publix) on them so I feel l like i am home. Trust me, I have been to the fanciest restaurants here and I laugh when they claim " Maryland style crabcakes".

www.sarahksgourmet.com

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Okay... I am from Baltimore, Maryland and I know my crab cakes. The absolute only place where I found something comparable was Sarah K's Gourmet in Destin. (same place where best buy, cracker barrel are). they are about $8.50 and they are nothing but crab meat. no fillers, no peppers, onions, bread... nothing to take away from the crab meat. BUT I always sprinkle Old Bay (Publix) on them so I feel l like i am home. Trust me, I have been to the fanciest restaurants here and I laugh when they claim " Maryland style crabcakes".

www.sarahksgourmet.com
Interesting. I never noticed that anywhere down there. Why would restaurants with proximity to the Gulf want to claim that? Let the Maryland crabcakes stay in Maryland. ;-)

Last edited:

www.sarahksgourmet.com

I have not tried Sarah K's yet but will soon.

To date, Cafe Tango is my favorite place for crab cakes - Florida crab cakes, that is.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country

www.sarahksgourmet.com

I should not have looked at that link. :bang: Those look scrumptious.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have always wondered about Sarah K's. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Personally, I like a little breading on my crabcakes, and a little bit of peppers and onions on the inside.

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
I have always wondered about Sarah K's. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Personally, I like a little breading on my crabcakes, and a little bit of peppers and onions on the inside.

Me too, yum.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Interesting. I never noticed that anywhere down there. Why would restaurants with proximity to the Gulf want to claim that? Let the Maryland crabcakes stay in Maryland. ;-)

I think the same thing when I see restaurants south of the Mason-Dixon line advertise Maine lobsters. I say, eat locally caught seafood and forget about the stuff you have to fly in. (Although I can be pursuaded to bend the rules a bit when you're talking Alaskan king crab!)

Not to complicate matters, but Costco has wonderful frozen Baltimore crabcakes, and yes, they're made in Baltimore. :D

Crab cakes at Blue Ridge Grill in Buckhead (a tony neighborhood in the ATL) are the best I've ever had ... even better than at Bacchanalia (ranked as a five-star restaurant in Atlanta) whose crab cakes are divine, although a bit wet from the citrus juice.

Try them at both places if you're ever in A-town.