• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ready for sun!

Beach Crab
Apr 11, 2006
Some of my friends and I have rented a condo at Beachside II for the first week of June. I use to live in Plant City Florida as a child but haven?t been to the beach in a Looooooong time and have never been to Seagrove. I?m excited.

I?m really interested in going crabbing. I?ve never done it before and won?t have a boat. Does anyone have any advise about places to crab or what to use. Has anyone ever heard of the Crabhawk? Is it very productive to crab from land? ~kathryn
:rotfl:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
ready for sun! said:
Some of my friends and I have rented a condo at Beachside II for the first week of June. I use to live in Plant City Florida as a child but haven?t been to the beach in a Looooooong time and have never been to Seagrove. I?m excited.

I?m really interested in going crabbing. I?ve never done it before and won?t have a boat. Does anyone have any advise about places to crab or what to use. Has anyone ever heard of the Crabhawk? Is it very productive to crab from land? ~kathryn
Sorry, no crabbing info to share, but :welcome: !

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
:welcome: Kathryn!

It appears that any crabbing experts are not paying attention today. Be patient, you'll get a bite soon...:rotfl:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I used to barehand nice blue crabs where the lake outlet met the Gulf on Grayton Beach. This would be much more efficient with a net. That said, I do not know if this is still possible after the outlet was affected during the storms. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ready for sun! said:

Before you go crabbing, take a moment to learn the difference between male and female crabs. I believe it is illegal to take the females. More than that, I will open a can of whoop @ss on anyone I see taking tomorrow's harvest, ie- the females. ;-) One easy way to tell the females from the males is that the females have red colored claws (think nail polish as a reminder) while the males have blue claws. Also, if you flip the crabs over look for the Washington Monument shape on the abdomen of the males (that one should be easy to remember), and more of a blunt triangle shape on the females.

adult_male.jpg

adolescent_female.jpg

adult_female.jpg

Also remember that you may need a fishing license. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
30A Skunkape said:
SJ, I might be wrong, but I think taking the ladies is OK as long as they are not carrying eggs on their underside (Berry Crabs). :dunno:
You may be right. I cannot recall, so I just leave the females alone.

sponge_crab.jpg

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recbluecrab.htm

Can female blue crabs be harvested? Female blue crabs may be harvested lawfully if they are not bearing eggs. Although it is lawful to keep non-egg bearing female blue crabs, it is a conservation practice to release them unharmed. There has been evidence that the females support the population of the species. Male crabs are capable of mating several times, but females are only able to mate once, after they mature. If a juvenile female is harvested, there will be no chance that she will be able to reproduce. Additionally, mature females may store sperm in their bodies for several months after mating in order to spawn at a later date. If a mature female is harvested, though she may not exhibit eggs, there is no certainty that she has spawned. Releasing female blue crabs enhances reproductive capacity and population renewal.