• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Here?s a great recipe for this time of year when crawfish are starting to become a bit more plentiful (although maybe not cheap!). The sauce is smooth with a beautiful pinkish color. It is really good. :D

Crawfish Monica

Yield: about 6 servings

1 pound crawfish tails
1 cup diced andouille sausage (see note below)
3/8 pound butter
1 tbsp crushed garlic
? cup diced onions
? cup diced celery
? cup diced red bell peppers
? cup diced green bell peppers
? cup sliced white button mushrooms
? cup diced tomatoes

12 oz. crawfish (or chicken) stock
? cup dry white wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp tomato paste
3/8 cup flour
? cup dry white wine
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried tarragon
2 tbsp chopped parsley
? cup sliced green onions
1 tsp dried basil

salt and black pepper to taste

In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and andouille. Saut? for 5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Sprinkle in flour slowly and blend well. Whisk in stock, white wine, lemon juice and tomato paste. Whisk well until all is blended. Bring to a simmer and hold for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add crawfish tails and the cream. Return to simmer and cook 10 minutes (add additional stock and/or cream, if necessary, to get a nice smooth, velvety consistency). Add basil, tarragon, parsley and green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and toss with pasta.

Note: MrsSvelte said she would prefer that tasso be used in lieu of the andouille and I think this would work just fine. :D I also used some broader pappardelle noodles instead of the fettucine.

Missplaced

Beach Lover
Jun 17, 2007
My husband would love this. Adding it to my Southern cooking file, along with Allifunn's decadent shrimp & grits recipe. I had to extend my stay for Shrimpers to reopen in March. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.) Do you think they'll have crawfish?

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
If you have trouble finding crawfish, there may be some wandering the streets in front of my house. :D

Last edited:

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
RAPUNZEL!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to have this for supper soon. that is all.:wave: or if allifunn is coming for the soiree then you two can whip it up together. or I guess I can help.
You are SO demanding.....:D

Glad you like the Shrimp & grits Missplaced :wave:

This does sound like a delicious recipe :clap:

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
My husband would love this. Adding it to my Southern cooking file, along with Allifunn's decadent shrimp & grits recipe. I had to extend my stay for Shrimpers to reopen in March. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.) Do you think they'll have crawfish?

where do i find this recipe posted?? thanks!

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Where did this receipe originate-I am asking because it sounds like the name (Monica's)of a chef owned restaurant I once went to in either NO or Baton Rouge...can't remember exactly. Just curious?

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
The original recipe was developed by Chef Pete Helzim who traditionally served it over crepes. It was then modified by Chef John Folse and then I tinkered with it. It clearly has Louisiana roots.

PS: Had leftovers tonite and they were great!

Last edited: