• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
PICT1656.JPG
OT..but SJ, do you know what kind of butterfly that isin your avatar ....it's the same kind I photographed while I was there.

As Rita stated, this is a Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P9090022.JPG

I am not positive, but I think this is a female Regal Darner (Coryphaeschna ingens) :lol:.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
P9090022.JPG

I am not positive, but I think this is a female Regal Darner (Coryphaeschna ingens) :lol:.

She is beautiful!!! We've been seeing these flying around here.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Smiling JOe said:
PICT1656.JPG
OT..but SJ, do you know what kind of butterfly that isin your avatar ....it's the same kind I photographed while I was there.

As Rita stated, this is a Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae).

Thank you Rita and SJ. Now I know. I looked it up once but was unsuccessful. I'm assuming these are only found near the gulf...hence the name???

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Ocean Lover said:
Thank you Rita and SJ. Now I know. I looked it up once but was unsuccessful. I'm assuming these are only found near the gulf...hence the name???

I think I have seen them in south GA and south AL, far inland.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
She is beautiful!!! We've been seeing these flying around here.

There are many Carolina Saddlebags (Tramea carolina) Dragonflies that hover in the sand oaks around Seaside. They look like a dragonfly which is carrying something under his wings. I don't have a photo to share. :sosad: October is soon approaching and the Dragonflies will be gone, except for the biting ones that hang out on the beach. :lol:;-)

6594_saddlebags_carolina_ds_std.jpg

Photo courtesy of Randy Emmitt. This is the Carolina Saddlebags

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I try to learn as I go. If I don't know something, I often seek to find out more.
A great pocket sized book, National Audubon Society - Field Guide to Florida, is a wonderful source for native plants and animals. It has many color photos and decriptions to help identify things. I know Sundog Bookstore in Seaside Carries the book. It is usually on one of those table displays near the checkout.