• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tyler T

Beach Lover
Aug 24, 2010
Does anyone know what the current setback is from building on the water in SoWal? I heard 50 feet for most lots on any waterway like creek, lake, bayou, river, etc. Excluding special circumstances like for a WaterColor or some similar development or individual subdivisions that might have covenants requiring certain setbacks.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It actually depends on the water. Gulf front is different as there are other aspects like fine nice and CCL lines. I don't have exact numbers, but I'm sure planning could answer for you very quickly. There are also exceptions for small lots.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Depends Also on when you’re lot was plated. If before 1996, there’s a lot more flexibility

You're referring to "lots of record" many of those retain smaller setbacks in normal instances, but don't override water setbacks.

For instance my home is on a "lot of record" and allows me to have side setbacks of 5 feet instead of the 7.5 currently in place.