• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The local rumour mill has churned up some more info on D&K's tonight. Supposedly, today was the old D&K's last day as you know it. They are supposedly closed for renovation and will open as a fancy smancy place which we do not need. I guess we will find out for certain tomorrow, whether this is true.

scrltbegonya

Beach Fanatic
Dec 14, 2005
SRB
Smiling JOe said:
The local rumour mill has churned up some more info on D&K's tonight. Supposedly, today was the old D&K's last day as you know it. They are supposedly closed for renovation and will open as a fancy smancy place which we do not need. I guess we will find out for certain tomorrow, whether this is true.

I asked Mr Carr about it and he said it was true, although I don't about the exact closing date. I hope not until tomorrow. Another Boo Hiss!

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
scrltbegonya said:
I asked Mr Carr about it and he said it was true, although I don't about the exact closing date. I hope not until tomorrow. Another Boo Hiss!

I love D & K's, the gumbo, shrimp salad and awesome view-and another ones bites the dust (possibly?) - too bad.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Chickpea said:
I love D & K's, the gumbo, shrimp salad and awesome view-and another ones bites the dust (possibly?) - too bad.

And everything made in two crockpots! <Hopefully they'll be donated to the 30-A Museum of Daze Gone By.>

I guess its not as bad as "goin' Condo," but morphing into "Upscale Dining" is tied neck n' neck with converting into a Prada/Louie Vaton Handbag Salon.

It's getting to the point that it just doesn't matter anymore--I've got my own kick-arse recipe for gumbo anyway.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:sosad: I guess it is only fitting we had lunch there on Friday and were sitting next to SJ and Daddy-O. I will have fond memories of my last lunch there. Who are these people that are clamoring for more upscale dinig? Is it tied to the bottom line for these businesses? It seems like an oxymoron to me....Grayton and upscale dining. Sad sad day for us all.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Smiling JOe said:
...and they are enclosing the open air deck. :sosad:
:eek: :pissed:
rant.gif
that is disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Does anyone know who is making all these decisions? More upscale dining and more condos--just what we need: NOT!

Was the property sold to some out of town developer?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
goodwitch58 said:
Does anyone know who is making all these decisions? More upscale dining and more condos--just what we need: NOT!

Was the property sold to some out of town developer?
Not sold. I guess they figure they can make more money if they sell $25 entrees at dinner rather than $11 sandwiches at lunch. :dunno: Pehaps they should instead, close for lunch and open with a simular casual atmosphere and menu for late afternoon 4pm - 10pm so they can get the sunset crowd and some others. It would be packed. I guess they have only enough staff to do lunch or dinner, and that is the only reason I suggest closing at lunch, even though I don't like that option.

In order to serve real dinner food, they may actually have to put in a kitchen and ditch the crockpots. :rotfl:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
...and they are enclosing the open air deck. :sosad:

:dunno: ...I do not get it. I have never eaten inside there....why would you?