• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
By Joyce Owen

One of the area?s oldest neighborhoods is getting a liposuction of sorts. The Daughettes Subdivision?s canals are being dredged to remove the silt that has accumulated. ?Having an opportunity in a residential area in South Walton to launch boats is a rarity that will draw interest from buyers,? Bobby Johnson, a real estate agent who lives in Daughettes, said. When the canals are dredged to a fi ve foot depth to provide deepwater access for the community, Johnson believes, true boating enthusiasts will be attracted to the community. Many people ask where they can launch a boat in South Walton, but there aren?t many options. The boat ramp just north of the U.S. Highway 331 Bridge is not protected and those launching a boat must deal with the currents, Johnson said. Cessna Park on County Road 393 offers better access to launch boats, but passage to the Choctawhatchee Bay is more difficult to navigate.
The benefit to dredging Daughettes? canals is the canals? access to the Intercoastal Waterway.
Many boats in the neighborhood have been stored for years because the canals were so shallow only canoes or kayaks could navigate them.
?Right now a typical boat can?t get in the canals, but once the dredging is complete, I can go anywhere in the world from my backyard. It?s pretty amazing that they are doing this,? Johnson said.
The subdivision was developed about 50 years ago and has long been an area where blue-collar workers lived, resident Tom Pickett said.
?These are the folks that make it possible for folks to live on County Road 30A,? Pickett said.
Daughettes, located between U.S. Highway 98 and the Choctawhatchee Bay, once offered deepwater access to the Bay and beyond. The original developer dug two canals from the Bay and planned yacht basins and waterfront property, ?priced for the man of moderate means,? according to a sales brochure printed then.
Once road runoff and silt fi lled Little Canal and Baker Canal, few boats could navigate the shallow canals. There have been times the water was so low that people could walk across the canals, Pickett said.
Although Daughettes does not have a homeowners association, it does have active property owners like Pickett and his neighbor Tom Stein who want to use the canals as they were intended.
Six years ago, Pickett and his neighbors asked the Board of County Commissioners to pull a permit to dredge the canals.
Pickett was a ?bulldog? when it came to getting the permit, Johnson said.
?Tom was persistent, when it came to dealing with the beaucracy. I would have given up, but he did not,? Johnson said.
Pickett dealt with local and state officials trying to persuade them that the project had merit.
?At first, the county commission said no, but we persisted,? Pickett said.
Two hurricane seasons brought additional delays. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection was only processing emergency permits, but Pickett proved the dredge material from the canals could be used to help rebuild the badly eroded beaches. Eventually his efforts were rewarded and the permit was approved.
After years of negotiation and delays, Pickett anticipates work will begin in a few weeks.
He has the spoil sites to hold the material that is dredged, the contractor has been hired and equipment readied.
The final obstacle is money. Canal front property owners were asked to pay a $1,200 dredging assessment.
?We always hoped to get 80 percent participation, but got 72 percent. Some were waiting to see if we got the permit. Now we have it and we only need fi ve more people to pay,? he said.

DevFin

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2006
Re: Daughettes canla dredging in Point Washington

What is the status of this project? Does anyone know if they will actually dredge into the bay or if it is just the canals? I am trying to find a place to keep a 30' boat in the Pt. Washington area if possible. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you,
Kevin

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Re: Daughettes canla dredging in Point Washington

What is the status of this project? Does anyone know if they will actually dredge into the bay or if it is just the canals? I am trying to find a place to keep a 30' boat in the Pt. Washington area if possible. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you,
Kevin

Sorry I don't have details but some others on the forum might.

How much depth do you need?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Dredging has not yet started, but they have already swept the bottom removing things which might break the dredging vessel. My understanding is that the canals will be dredged all the way to the InterCoastal Channel. I'm not sure, but I think a Golpher Tourtoise, found on a lot where they were going to pump the sand, was holding things up. They are in the process of relocating the the tourtoise, which involves a few bucks and a permit.

2bfabian

Banned
Dec 29, 2006
on grand lagoon
Heck why not just get a vine and do a little golpher pulling.Thats providing is legal and all. Thats some fine eating. There peculator pond should be able to miss them golphers.

Last edited:

DevFin

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2006
Kurt,

The boat drafts about 2.5 feet but I think a minimum of about 3.5' is needed for comfort.

Does anyone know if there is a maximum length for piers? I've seen many properties fronting the bay but still only with 2' of water at the end of the docks.

2bfabian

Banned
Dec 29, 2006
on grand lagoon
It will be very difficult for the dredger to get in there and dredge. He will need to get that cutter head down so it will be a slow process at first untill he can get it deep enough to be able to dredge

there is a limit I believe its 1/3 the distance across the water way but it can not reach the chanel. Don't quote me on that

I was of the understanding they were going to dredge that canal. I doubt they will dredge the bay that will be the home owners responsiblity

Last edited:

2bfabian

Banned
Dec 29, 2006
on grand lagoon
go buy a 2500 dollar dredge and put up a sea wall and pump the sand in behind the sea wall. thats all there is to it. Some small permits but not hard to get.

2bfabian

Banned
Dec 29, 2006
on grand lagoon
Do you realize what that dredger is going to make off that sand. It will pay for his dredge. Trust me thats white beach sand right under that silt. that dredge goes for probably $250,000 or more

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kevin,
As you noted, most of the Bay front lots are very shallow even 100 ft from shore. There are very few deep water lots in SoWal and Daughette Subdivision Canal front lots will be treasured by boaters, when the canals are dredged.

By the way, you can get into serious trouble if you do some of the things which fabian is suggesting, but I would guess that most people know that he is kidding. ;-)