• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
JEANNE said:
I am trying to find out about a long time resident of Grayton Beach. I heard that she may have recently died. Does anyone know of Bets Haynes?

Yes she died, among family members, a few weeks ago. The funeral was very well attended. Her obituary, written by her daughter, was extremely moving.

Lisa_at_the_beach

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2004
SoWal
Yes, Bets passed away a few weeks ago...family by her side. She fought long and hard, giving it everything she had. I still have trouble believing that she is no longer with us...that I will never see that bright smile again ....nor will I get a Beach Mamma hug.....

She will dearly, sadly be missed by so very many. I hear that Gap Daddy is doing well...their daughters...Leslie, Kelly, Christy and Holley are looking after him. I believe he and Beach Mamma were married 52 wonderful years.

L

JEANNE

Beach Comber
Thank you for your information. I grew up down at Grayton with the Haynes and I am so sorry I didn't know about her death in time to attend the funeral. I now live in Tallahassee. It truly will never be the same with out Bets. My thoughts and love go out to all that knew her and are mourning this loss. SJM

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Bets (Elizabeth Wells Nelson) Haynes
Bets Haynes, 76, of Grayton Beach, Fla., longtime environmental activist for coastal concerns and lover of life, passed away on Sunday, Jan. 30, on a beautiful afternoon in her home overlooking the beach.
She fought a courageous battle against cancer and was surrounded by her family at the time of her death. A native of Florida whose ancestors pioneered Walton County in the early 1800s, she was the only child of L. Wells and Bessie Tervin Nelson of DeFuniak Springs, Fla., and was known as Betty Wells during her youth.
"Beachmama," as she was known to many of her children?s friends, who claimed her as their own, was loved by so many that her passing will be felt for decades to come. She is survived by her loving husband of more than 52 years, Gap Haynes, and their four daughters, each of whom claimed to love her the most ? Leslie, married to Scott M. Provow with three children, Stephanie, Elizabeth and Matthew; Kelly, married to Billy Buzzett with sons Austin and Wells; Christian Haynes of Blue Mountain; and Holly, married to Jason Barber with their children, Sloan and Callan.
Bets was preceded in death by her parents, but leaves a legacy that is second to none.
The memorial service and celebration of Beachmama?s life was held at Point Washington United Methodist Church on Thursday, Feb. 3, 2005, Revs. Tonya Elmore, of Point Washington, and Gene Harris, of Freeport Presbyterian Church officiated and a reception followed at the Stevens Center. Beachmama?s remains will be interred with her parents in the Magnolia Cemetery in DeFuniak Springs.
Beachmama led a life of love ? to God, to her family, to her friends, and to her causes ? and there were many. No one was ever angry with or had a harsh word to say about Bets Haynes. She was funny and fun, had a fabulous sense of humor, and a beautiful smile.
A prolific letter and "thank you" note writer, her graciousness, humility and kindness to everyone with whom she had contact was admirable. Her inward countenance was awesome and her outward beauty was apparent to all.
She was extremely active in her service to her community, including the library, garden club, church, neighborhood association, various conservation and wildlife groups, her sorority, Chi Omega, her alma mater, FSU and the Seminoles, and most of all, her family.
Her sense of adventure allowed her many opportunities to travel in her lifetime, and she also loved being the consummate "Marine wife."
She loved Grayton Beach, loved to swim (and skinny dip) in the "Guff," and taught every one of her children and grandchildren to body surf. In fact, it was at the beach where she made most of her memories ? her engagement, many weddings and family celebrations, too-numerous-tocount "tea times" at sunset, dancing and partying at the "Store," watching the pelicans? graceful flight, and literally and almost single-handedly saving Grayton Beach from the greed of developers, beginning in the 1970s and 1980s and continuing until the day she died.
Ever the practical joker, especially when it came to her defense of the Democratic Party, many were the midnight recipient of a bumper sticker that may or may not have been welcomed. Beachmama was vivacious and fun, but she was serious about many things, too.
In lieu of flowers, donations in the memory of Bets Haynes can be made to the American Cancer Society, (800) 227-2345, or a local chapter; the Coastal Branch Library, (850) 267-2809, 437 Greenway Trail, Santa Rosa Beach FL 32459; or the Florida Defenders of the Environment, 4424 NW 13th St., Suite C-8, Gainesville FL 32609, (352) 378-8465.