• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
DSC4411jpg-1916011_p9.jpg

Deer Relaxing on Beach on Black Friday

By Giarc80 | Posted November 25, 2011 | Inlet Beach, Florida

CNN PRODUCER NOTE Giarc80 shot these pictures on November 25 of a deer relaxing on the sands of of Inlet Beach, Florida. 'The buck seemed tired and cold,' he said. 'The deer would swim a long distance down the beach, turn around and come back to the same point. He would then get out of the surf and bask in the sun on the beach while resting and then go back in the water to swim some more.'
- jmsaba, CNN iReport producer

iReport — I was walking down the beach this afternoon and saw this deer resting by the pier at Camp Helen State Park, at Inlet Beach, Florida on the Gulf Coast.

The young buck quickly drew a crowd and some of us were worried because the deer was shivering and did not want to move. We contacted the park ranger at Camp Helen who said that the deer had been swimming in the gulf on and off all day and in between swims would lie on the beach to rest.

While others were braving Black Friday chaos, he had a relaxing day lounging on the beach.

376950_10150387944841658_49632871657_8579689_927755407_n.jpg

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
The news reported and confirmed last night that this deer is not Rudolph, but not so sure about Dancer. Resting up before the big day. And a beautiful sight!

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
This is just one of the wonderful sightings we choose to live here.........does it get any better than this!

Last edited:

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
The news caption said Deer Relaxing on Beach on Black Friday. Why? Black Friday has no significance to deer, nature or me.

I have to agree with you Toots............Black Friday has nothing to do with the price of fish!

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Deer do love to eat salt and are all over the place in South Walton. The second photo looks a little posed to me, maybe photoshopped. Deer don't let people get too close this time of year.

Lynn Carper

Beach Crab
Dec 8, 2011
The reference to Black Friday was just meant to be humorous. So many people were out in all the craziness and chaos of Black Friday while this beautiful deer looked perfectly happy on the near empty beach on such a gorgeous day. He had the right idea!

Lynn Carper

Beach Crab
Dec 8, 2011
The deer was not posed or photoshopped. He was very tired from swimming. Some people even petted him. Some of us have been checking back with Camp Helen State park to see if they had any more info on the deer. He has not been seen on the beach since that day. They think that is a good sign that he is OK.