• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
A new poster, Mary N., made a pretty good case for ending the use of vehicles on the beach, claiming it's ironic that the same people that curse people walking on footpaths in the dunes are the same ones who drive their SUV's on what would otherwise be dunes. (There are other reasons she didnt bring up, like oil spills, danger of hitting someone, other people having to breathe the fumes,etc)

Not one of you stepped up to defend why you think its OK. In fact, they even closed the thread to discussion. Is this taboo subject, or, I hate to say, are they ashamed? Won't any of you defend your decision to renew your beach permit? (I let mine lapse after Ivan, and I may not renew it at all now. I agree with Mary, I just thought it was the right thing to do at this point.) We are willing to ridicule people walking on paths (and pulblish their photos unknown to them), so it's only fair we talk about this issue openly.

Those of you who have a beach permit, please tell why its OK, when path walkers aren't. This is an important topic for debate. Won't any of you step up?
-----------
Thumper

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I am the only one that can lock threads. Threads are not closed because of content, except when the discussion has changed and would be better served by starting a new thread - which you have done. ;-)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I would not have a problem with the end of permits. It would be safer, cleaner, and not as crazy with fireworks on the 4th of July. The increase in the number of permits has been unbelievable in the last few years,. The county gets good revenue from permits and probably won't stop issuing them until someone gets seriously hurt or killed.

I haul a lot of trash and debris off Grayton in my truck. And I also haul people, picnics, toys, boats, and fishing rods on and off. I don't equate the drive on area beside the boardwalk to people trampling dunes. I serve to educate because I know that visitors in the dunes are ignorant and sometimes uncaring. The only solution I see is sand fencing. If it's not erected soon there will be no dunes left to protect.

I welcome discussion about vehicles on the beach - no matter why you are for or against them.

Last edited:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
It has been my understanding that driving on the beach (which is limited by proximity of the State Park on both east and west) was retained out of respect for some of the Grayton Beach locals who make their living from chartered fishing trips and beach chair/umbrella setups. These are services that we enjoy having, frankly. Also, the beach is long and the sand deep enough that it can challenge the elderly or disabled. If my brother did not have a vehicle permit, my mother would not be able to walk on or even get onto the beach during our visits. I agree that it's probably not the environmentally superior choice, but one has to consider special needs and keep a reasonable balance. I would not like to see my full-time local neighbor lose his business, nor would I like my Mother to never stand at the water's edge at sunset again. The requirements and cost of these permits is basically prohibitive enough that not a lot of people indulge. I would also miss those tailgate/canine sunset gatherings!

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
I must admit that it does sound inconsistant to scorn path walkers but defend vehicles. Donna mentioned the benefits of vehicles, but I see that same reasoning being applicable to path walkers. Local photographers make their living taking pictures in the dunes. Elderly or disabled people could more easily access the beach without having to walk farther for an access. Any convenience from the very few locals who are able to drive their vehicles on the beach, could also be applied to the hundreds who trod the dune paths on their way to the beach.

I am by no means defending path walkers and certainly not photographers who should be drawn and quartered for knowingly inflicting damage on the dunes. I am just a little surprised that vehicles are viewed with so much more acceptance and understanding.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
I will drive on the beach and I will drive in the dunes to runn over somebody that is picking sea oats. Just kidding i don't care if people walk in the dunes or drive on the sand. The funniest thing is people getting stuck at grayton in their cadilac or minivan. Right beside the sign that says no driving on the beach without permit and 4 wheel drive.

thumper

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Kurt, in fairness, I didn't get that Mary N called you a Nazi. She and Wildernester (and myself?) were just pointing out the "irony" of ridculing path-walkers -- while driving a car on the beach.

Thanks to Donna and Kurt for being brave enough to state your views defending the beach driving. I dont agree, (because there are plenty of handicap-accessible accesses all along 30-A for your mother, enough to justify keeping cars off the beach. And you know that government and commercial industries such as construction and chair services will always have access, regardless, so no one will lose income.) But I applaud your willingness to stand up for what you believe in publicly. :clap_1:

Smiling Joe called for all those who were "guilty" of dune walking to stand up and confess. I'd like to pose the same challenge to all who made the choice to renew their permit after Ivan. (You know who you are). You bought it, so you must believe in it. Educate us. If you can convince me it's OK for the environment, or at least justify the convenience, I'll run down and renew my permit today.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Reason #1: Without the driving privilege, there is no way to launch boats into the Gulf from our beaches. True, that requires an additional permit, but that is the single most important reason to retain driving on the beach at Grayton. Plus, the beach is flat, and there would not be dunes at the Grayton access (beside the Red Bar) even if driving was prohibited. It is also the best and easiest way for a large family planning to spend all day at the beach to take all of their essentials.

Beyond that, it is now just a status symbol.

For what it's worth, I personally no longer care. Sand and saltwater eats the bottoms out of vehicles anyway, and when I had a 4wd and a beach permit I always got stuck.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A question: for those with drive-on permits, how far east or west can they go? I mean, could one theoretically drive on at Grayton and ride the beach all the way to Seacrest?