• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
click here for Beach Access Map pdf

Open Beach Access Points as of 7/19/05:
  • Dune Allen Regional Access: Located on 30-A; west of Oyster Lake at Fort Panick Rd.
  • Ed Walline Regional Access: Located at the intersection of Hwy. 30-A and County Rd. 393.
  • Grayton Beach Regional Access: Located at the end of DeFuniak Street in Grayton Beach.
  • Inlet Access: Located at the end of Lakeshore Drive, one block east of Orange St.
  • Walton Dunes: - Located at the end of Beach Front Trail east of Eastern Lake adjacent to Dunes of Seagrove.
  • Sugar Dunes: ? Off of Sanroy Rd., east of Eastern Lake in Lakewood Community
  • Area east of Pompano Joe?s off Scenic Gulf Drive
  • Area east of Whales Tale off Scenic Gulf Drive
Here's what I've seen or heard - I will post official stuff above. The county is still evaluating accesses and should start cleanup ASAP but they are dealing with the larger issue of damaged houses I'm sure.

Inlet Beach at Walton Lakeshore Drive - the drive on access is also a good place to walk on but not any parking.

Rosemary Beach has an access open at Western Green.

Seaside has access behind Roly Poly at Perspicacity market in the center of town.

Seaside will have walk on access behind roly poly at wedding pavillion.

WaterColor brought in a removeable metal WO after Arlene and they were able to remove it before Dennis and it is already back in place. It is main access behind beach club.

WaterSound - plenty of places to walk on if you're staying there.

Grayton - walk on, drive on with 4wd and permit.

Ed Walline at 393 - walk on beside WO.

Fort Panic Dune Allen - walk on beside WO.

Grayton Beach State Park and Topsail Hill State Park have walk on access, Deer Lake has no access.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Beach Accesses - post here

kurt said:
I'm not sure about the one behind goatfeathers but I saw some wet people walking north from it.
I posted picks somewhere in all of those photos. It was a 15'drop.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.

Anything close to the West side of Eastern Lake? South Gulf Street? If not, looks like Seaside may be the closest for the Eastern Lakers? Our pool maintenance gal said that she saw people using the one at S. Gulf at Eastern Lake today but I know from last week before Dennis that it was washed out since Ivan and there was a 3-4 ft drop (again before Dennis). Any status on that walk over would be great!

Will the county post anything official anywhere about what is open or closed for renters? I don't want to tell someone to use one that is not official open or safe....

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

wetwilly said:
Anything close to the West side of Eastern Lake? South Gulf Street? If not, looks like Seaside may be the closest for the Eastern Lakers? Our pool maintenance gal said that she saw people using the one at S. Gulf at Eastern Lake today but I know from last week before Dennis that it was washed out since Ivan and there was a 3-4 ft drop (again before Dennis). Any status on that walk over would be great!

Will the county post anything official anywhere about what is open or closed for renters? I don't want to tell someone to use one that is not official open or safe....
Typically the Tourist Development Council, TDC post the opened public accesses after they assess them for damage.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

wetwilly said:

The eastern lake access was boarded but last year a lot of people used that one because there's no bluff.

Yes the county will have a list. I expect the first list to be a walk on list since no walkovers survived. After Ivan they released a priority list telling us which ones would be rebuilt first.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005

Our renters have gone down the area next to the walkover behind Goatfeathers. Hard to get down. Almost impossible to get back up.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.

Thanks for the info. Again, you guys are great. :clap_1: The TDC site says that beaches of SoWal are "closed". I understand that any remaining dunes are unsafe (and should not be walked on anyway at anytime) and the gulf front houses and condos are dangerous too but will they enforce the closing? In other words, will they kick people off of the beach if people go on them? If really closed and enforced, how long will they stay closed typically? BRSW website says that they are prepared to honor guests starting this week (7/16). Just want to make sure I tell my renters the straight scoop since they are driving 2 days to come down to SoWal.

geauxfl

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005

We still have no info on Hidden Dunes. By the looks of the photo on their site, their WO seemed very steep, anyone know? Anyone know of the damage there?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

wetwilly said:
Thanks for the info. Again, you guys are great. :clap_1: The TDC site says that beaches of SoWal are "closed". I understand that any remaining dunes are unsafe (and should not be walked on anyway at anytime) and the gulf front houses and condos are dangerous too but will they enforce the closing? In other words, will they kick people off of the beach if people go on them? If really closed and enforced, how long will they stay closed typically? BRSW website says that they are prepared to honor guests starting this week (7/16). Just want to make sure I tell my renters the straight scoop since they are driving 2 days to come down to SoWal.

A lot of people were on the beaches today - well not a lot comapred to a normal July day.

They are CTA for liability reasons and yes there is some real danger. Also there were some septic tanks uncovered here and there so they want the water to clear for a few days before allowing swimming.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005

kurt said:
The county park at Inlet Beach at Orange Street has lots of parking and about a 10 foot drop with a ladder that people are using. it may be boarded off by the county.

Rosemary Beach has startes repairs on the central WO at western green and should be done in a few days.

Our house is on South Wall Street in Inlet Beach, about a block from Rosemary. After Hurricane Ivan, the closest access to us that was restored quickly was at Rosemary Beach Eastern Green. If anyone knows when that will be restored, I would be interested in knowing.

My neighbor, who lives in Inlet Beach, reported to me that currently the only safe public access at Inlet Beach is at the end of South Walton Lakeshore, because there is no dune there (so they never had a walkover), but there is no parking there. The closest parking is at South Orange Street, but there are not very many spaces. (Several are handicapped spaces.)

Here is a map that we placed on our web site to help our renters.

http://www.sunsetdunesgetaway.com/beachaccessmap.htm

Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.