• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Re: Dennis - damage reports

Walton Sun letter to the editor yesterday:

Since Tropical Storm Arlene, I?ve been receiving a lot of questions about our beaches and wanted to share what I learned during a recent TDC board meeting.
After Hurricane Ivan, the Walton County Transit Development Council used visitor dollars to replace approximately 450,000 cubic yards of sand, push sand back onto the dunes and purchase 900,000 sea oats to be planted this summer. These emergency measures served their purpose providing a reservoir of sand to be eroded instead of our natural dune system. Fortunately, Arlene, unlike Ivan, spared most of our dunes.
However, serious erosion occurred to our beaches. We lost several feet of sand exposing the black peat, which lies under our white sand beaches. The peat is the result of the cypress swamp that existed thousands of years ago where our beaches are located today. The county cannot bring in sand to cover the peat at this time due to state and federal, permitting that is difficult to obtain during turtle nesting season.
In addition, another storm would quickly wash the new sand out into the gulf and thousands of dollars later, we?d be in the same predicament. Since much of our sand is just offshore and a large amount of beach recovery should occur in the following weeks, the county is looking to develop more long term options.
Long term success is most often found through large scale beach restoration, they must be classified as ?critically eroded? by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Critical erosion is determined on a yearly basis and only 6.5 miles of beaches were deemed ?critically eroded prior to Ivan, the Florida DEP critical erosion draft report included approximately 11 miles of critically eroded beaches in Walton County. This allows more beaches in Walton County to be considered for a large scale beach restoration.
Of the original 6.5 miles, a 4.8 mile stretch of ?critically eroded? beach in Western Walton County is awaiting final permitting and we expect that restoration will begin this fall.
The County Commission and the TDC are scheduling workshops to discuss additional areas that could benefit from large scale restoration and to gauge the community?s interest in various options. Once the date is set, property owners, association managers and everyone with an interest in our beaches is encouraged to attend. In the meantime, the TDC will move forward on plans to enhance the dune system by planting more than 900,000 oats this summer. Ultimately, Mother Nature is the only one who can predict how quickly our beaches will begin to show improvement, but the TDC is working diligently to provide her a helping hand.

Maurice Gilbert, Chairman Walton County Tourist Development Council

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

We just heard about the Kristi Lane/ Seawatch area off Eastern Lake Road. The preliminary survey shows no visible damage to houses, but substantial to the beach. The beach crossover is gone, as are almost all of them. Our neighbors who stayed there have called the county and all roads seem to be open except the 331 bridge.

There's also a tornado warning near Georgia Tech where our daughter is taking summer classes to catch up because she changed majors to premed. Yikes! I'm more worried about her than my beach house!

Last edited:

bennifer

Beach Lover
Jul 6, 2005

yep, I am right here in Marietta, ga and my son just came in and said, "Mom there is a tordano headed toward us with 60 mph winds...so later
GA JEN

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton

Would really appreciate it if anyone has any info regarding water levels around Mack Bayou as compared to Ivan. Came very close to the house last time, wonder how we did this time - I'm currently in JAX. Thanks to everyone for all the info! All things considered, sounds like we were very lucky again. Pray for the folks to the west.

Kathryn

Beach Comber

Yikes. :sosad:
If the beach area in front of SeaWatch was badly damaged, how did the beach in front of Ramsgate do? It is only a few blocks east and much, much narrower thanks to Ivan.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004

All of the Seaside walkovers were washed out. Even some of the sections that survived Ivan. The water got up to the scrub oaks. Higher than Ivan. Many limbs are down, but the buildings are in good shape.

hutch

Beach Lover

SRB - The Mack Bayou area appears to be okay. The bay is about 2 foot from the top of my docks and going down almost back to normal. Compare to Ivan this was nothing as far as water surge in our area. Have not seen any flooding. Some older docks were damaged. Hope this helps.

SpaDaze

Beach Crab
Jul 10, 2005
Saratoga Springs/SRB

Glad to hear so many are doing fine. We have a place in Magnolia Cottages and lost contact with our answering machine a couple of hours ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach

If anyone from Sea Dunes Subdivision (Dune Allen Beach) stayed around, please post if there is any damage from limbs, etc. We're the 2-story w/blue roof straight west of gazebo.

Hoping beaches can start to heal quickly.

With so many new people reading this board, I am guessing there will be more caution in how the beaches are cared for. Let's hope so! (We are all becoming better educated, which has to help.)

Status
Not open for further replies.