• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
soozie58 said:
Has Anyone Heard Anything About Seacrest Beach(the One With The Big Lifegueard Chair) Most Specifically "happy Hour" On Beach Bike Way???/ Thanks For Any Info!!!

Hey Soozie,

I am on Blue Crab Loop. My next door neighbor in Seacrest lives close by. She said everything is fine at Seacrest. We have power. I think we have phone problems. No DT. She said Russ our ever faithful pool man was hard at work getting the pool shipshape. Said the pool looked good. A little debris.

Our beachwalkover is gone (of course). Can't tell about the dunes can't get close enough since walkover is gone.

She drove thru the n'hood and saw no visible signs of damage. I think we both got a little water blown in around our windows and french doors.

Hope this helps a little.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
I just spoke to a friend going up and down 30-A.

In general, all beach walk steps are gone. Dunes are sheared off. The best way to the beach are the low/no dune area's. There are some houses near Oyster Lake that took a beating. Almost no wind damage.

I feel blessed, only problems at our houses are that our pool water turned green.

RPB

RDW

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
Does anyone know anything about Edgewater Beach condos? I have reservations there starting Saturday the 16th and of course there is no answer when I try calling.

alankat

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Don't misunderstand me, Ameness - I only wish the NEWS media would acknowledge the far-flung bunch of people who love to call that area home (if only for a week at a time) and report on the storm-ravaged status of our little communities. I agree, the high-rise builders can, please!, stay the heck out.

My thanks as well to Kurt and all of you down there now who're putting this storm in context for us. Best wishes and thanks for putting up with us, your part-time neighbors.

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
Kimmifunn said:
I heard the big white pavillion at Seaside took a tumble....fact or fiction?

I heard all the steps are gone, again, but not that the whole pavillion fell..anyone know for certain?? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ;-)

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Glad to hear storm damage overall wasn't as bad as it could have been. Shame quite a bit of beach front took yet another hit.

Saw a report in Northwest Florida News (http://www.nwfdailynews.com) that indicated pretty severe beach erosion in the area around Pompano Joe's on old 98. If anyone happens to be in that area, I'd appreciate a first-hand on the beach area along old 98 west of Pompano Joe's and east of 293. We booked July 23-31 at Gulf Winds East some time back and I suspect we're going to have to punt...

Also, I'll add my thanks to all of the local folks who are contributing info to this thread. Very much appreciated.

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
Thank all of you locals so much for responding to us before, during and after Dennis. We could be in for a long season! I still have one huge candle burning at the Church! Several on the board have asked about Beachside Villas and we have units there, our property manager called early this morning with the report that things looked good anyway and she just now called back to say that she had been in our units and they were both fine. Perhaps we are safe in assuming, there was minimal damage there except for the beach walk-over, which is gone. I will bring the Guiness or whatever that is everyone drinks and I will find the right door steps to put it on this October!Thank you and as one other responder wrote, Kurt, Smiling Joe etc. you are part of the charm of the area we all love so much.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Ohio Beach Bum

I talked to Tanya who works in the GWE office today - they have no power right now - but Gulf Power is working on it right now. She is busy checking the inside of all the units - but from just walking around the buildings all looks good. She said she saw no real damage at all. Thought they would be up and running as soon as the power went on. Which unit are you staying in?

watercolormom

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
My parents made it to Seagrove and said that the Hwy 331 bridge is accessible to everyone with no problems. There is no power at their house on the North side of 30-A (near 395) or in Seaside yet, but a lot of people, including those at WaterColor, have it. Also, Publix is fine and looks open. The Red Bar did well and should be open tomorrow. I spoke to the WaterColor front desk and they should be ready for guests tomorrow afternoon! My parents drove around and said that most of the areas they saw looked great with minimal leaves and branches down. When driving through WaterColor, they couldn't even tell there had been a storm.

Unfortunately, the beaches are another story. They said that the beach damage is definitely worse than Opal. The sloped walkway to the beach in Seaside (behind the Shops at Seaside near the wedding pavillion) is now a 6 foot drop off and, as you saw in the posted picture, giant cliffs have now been cut into most of the dunes. Dad took some pictures I'll post when he gets power and can send them to me!! Also, just so you know, 30-A is accessible from Inlet Beach/Rosemary almost all the way to Blue Mountain and then they saw "road closed" signs. Apparently, the water came over the road again near Lake Place. More later!!

Status
Not open for further replies.