1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Dennis - Photos

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

As a reminder, only registered users can access the photo albums. I will be posting many more photos of SoWal later tonight and later in the week. They will be in the Photo Gallery, under the album name of Smiling JOe. Some are fun and some are not so fun.

On another note, thanks to all who sent your good energy this way. I certainly felt it, and it kept me safe and warm (or what that the A/C going out yesterday morning?). I appreciate being part of such a great community. Anyone wanting to buy me a beer, can simply invite any average joe whom they see in SoWal to join them for the beer. I am sure to feel it. Just keep the love going around. That is truely what makes this area what it is. Ask anyone, it is not just the beach. There is plenty of beach around this country, but it is people sharing that makes this area so fun. Keep up the good work.

For everyone wanting to help clean the beaches, your help is needed. There is plenty of small debris on the beach, and thankfully, most of the big stuff is at the inlet of Oyster Lake in one big pile. I did not forge Western Lake, but the other side may have some larger debris.

2. sarawind

sarawind Beach Fanatic

Re: Photos

Your timely photos and good humor are very much appreciated. Thank you for all
    you have done. :clap_1:

3. Waterman

Waterman Beach Lover

You SJ, Are "THE MAN" :bow: :bow: :clap_1:

4. wetwilly

wetwilly Beach Fanatic

Awesome photos and great info (even though hard to take). We have been renting in the SoWal area for over 10 years and now are owners in the Eastern Lake area and it is a blessing to have someone like you sending back pix and info about the area to so many of us remotely located. We have not been able to get ahold of our rental company and Walton County 800 lines only give out very little info. We just found this site in the past few days and your photos and info (and others postings) have been so needed. The Weather station and general websites just don't give enough specific info and your messages are upbeat and positive in the face of this event that it has been comforting on many levels. Thanks again for your postings. Keep them coming. :laughing1 :clap_1:

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

No, Waterman, YOU are the man. Thanks! I have to let everyone know -- WaterMan gave me a very large memory card (digital film for you non-technos) a while back, so you should be thanking him for the photos. I would not have been able to take so many photos otherwise. Thanks again WaterMan! :clap_1: You are a very generous person and are very much a part of my community, even if you do live in California most of the time.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Thanks, but I am pooped, so am stopping here for a while. I still have another camera to unload, so it may be a while before I can sort through those. I am heading up to the Mountains tomorrow and may stay put for a couple of weeks if TS Emily comes this way. I enjoy being able to help you guys keep in touch from afar. Major thanks should be directed to Kurt, who is the Man behind all of this, the creator of SoWal.com and GraytonBeach.com. You should be praising this guy, who has gone out of his way to provide this direct link to all. Thanks Kurt!

7. BeachDreamer

BeachDreamer Beach Fanatic

SJ, the photos are amazing, and I can only imagine how much time it took to sort and upload them all. Thanks!!

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

[​IMG]
    Hurricane Dennis shortly after landfall on 10 July 2005

9. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Thanks Joe - great work - your check is in the mail. :lol: :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

10. katie blue

katie blue kt loo

:clap_1:!! it's like Steinbeck wrote in the Grapes of Wrath...

"Where ever a delicious frosty brew is being poured and shared....I'll be there."

You are our very own Zen Master Beach Buddha, Smilin Joe.

11. dusty

dusty Beach Lover

Thanks SJ, Kathydwells and others for the photos. Wow! Hard to know what the area is really like until you see them.

Looking at both of your photos, the beach width looks very variable in terms of distance from the end of the waves at shore to the dune cliffs. Kathy's picture suggests very little beach, while SJ's pics at Grayton Beach still show a wide beach in some shots and less beach in others. Not to be ignorant, but does the water recede after some days/weeks, making the beach wider again? Or does it take beach restoration/ dredging to reslope the beach so to speak, so the waves are further out and the beach is wider?

And only a week ago the discussion was about visitors who leave tents behind for others to dispose of!

12. CoffeeBoy

CoffeeBoy Beach Comber

Thanks for the site and the photos.

It is by far the best info on this little section of my world I have found to figure out what is left of the beach. That said, it is depressing to see the effects.

And one question - Is "JOe" owner of the Red Bar? Up here in Little Rock I like to visit another little restuarant you would be familiar with.

My wifes family (now "mine" after 12 years of marriage) have had a condo in Sea Clifts at BMB for around 17 years and we try and come down 4-5 times per year. Picked my name after the now failed Blue Mountain Coffee shop.

Thanks again

13. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

I love this idea but.....

I have an idea for any bar in the area - awhile back I was sailing the British Virgin Islands and we visited the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. The bar had a huge chalk board where you could buy a drink for someone that was local or coming into the area for a vacation and leave payment for a drink for them. You gave the bartender the persons name - your name and date and what kind of drink you were buying - then when the person should up at the Soggy Dollar he had a drink waiting for him. So say I wanted to buy SJ a drink or two - it would read Smiling Joe - Beachlover2 bought you a Guiness on 7/12/05

I would personally love this idea - what better way to pay back locals who have helped you out and wouldn't take anything or maybe even leave a drink or two for renters that are coming in. Sort of a welcome gift.

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You are a gem. :D

15. Beach Fan

Beach Fan Beach Crab

Have enjoyed your emails & photos. Can you give me ANY info on Commodore's retreat condo -beach - pool - we're supposed to arrive the 16th, but don't know if there's anything to arrive to. Thanks

16. Linda

Linda Beach Fanatic

I would also like to thank everybody for the great information and pictures on this board. I live in Lexington, Kentucky and just bought in Watercolor. I don't know anyone that lives in the area yet but am looking forward to meeting some of you in the future.

17. Kimmifunn

Kimmifunn Funnkalicious

I love the idea! We should see if we can get the Red Bar to start the program! :clap_1:

18. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Well we can certainly see to it that Oli never has SJ pay for any more beers.

19. Waterman

Waterman Beach Lover

Well said, I could not have said it better! Thanks Kurt all the way from SoCal. :clap_1:

20. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

That would be way too cool for me. I would feel a bit too weird, but maybe I could pass my drink on to someone else as I get them. Now that would be more like me. Can we add that feature to the rulebook? - take a drink, leave a drink.