• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I just posted a picture in the photo gallery that was taken by the Associated Press. How sad the destruction of the dunes. I was just there 2 weeks ago, I cannot believe it looks like this now. God Bless All Of You, that are locals, or that own property in South Walton. I sure do wish I could come and help with the clean up!!!!! Take Care.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Re: Seagrove Villas and Motel

Man that looks awful.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri

oh Kathy I just can't belive that picture!!! we were just there!!! it looks so bad, how in the world would anyone get to the beach? :eek: I can only imagine how those homeowners feel...that is my favorite part of sowal :sosad:

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005

Oh my....thanks for the post. It breaks my heart...my husband and I have stayed at the Seagrove Villas many times. How sad. That area of Seagrove is part of the original Seagrove Beach isn't it? I sure hope something can be done...those homes and the Village Motel are such a part of the charm and history of Seagrove! Sending my thoughts & prayers to all affected by this!

kathydwells

Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

seagrovelover said:
oh Kathy I just can't belive that picture!!! we were just there!!! it looks so bad, how in the world would anyone get to the beach? :eek: I can only imagine how those homeowners feel...that is my favorite part of sowal :sosad:

It broke my heart when I saw it, to think we were just there. It is my favorite part of Sowal also. I am so sad for the homeowners. I know how I feel and I don't even own property there. :sosad:

kathydwells

Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

beachma said:
Oh my....thanks for the post. It breaks my heart...my husband and I have stayed at the Seagrove Villas many times. How sad. That area of Seagrove is part of the original Seagrove Beach isn't it? I sure hope something can be done...those homes and the Village Motel are such a part of the charm and history of Seagrove! Sending my thoughts & prayers to all affected by this!

Yes, to my knowledge it is the origianal part of Seagrove Beach. I know the Villa's have been there a very long time. We have stayed there for the last 6 summers the last week of June. I just breaks my heart!!!!! I hope something can be done. Perhaps someone on the board can tell us the step that are taken in situations like this. I would love to know what happens after this much devastation. My prayers are with everyone affected by this also.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.

Yes, every year my family loves driving down hwy 395 past the Seagrove Market to take the left on 30-A to pass by the Wheelhouse and the Seagrove Villas and Inn on our way to our vacation spot. For the history buffs, we bought a book several years ago when down in SoWal "The Way We Were" Recollection of South Walton Pioneers. The book details the beginnings of SoWal and is a great read if you love the area. I find myself rereading it over and over again. There is a section on The Seagrove Villas and Inn that is great. According to the book, it states that Paul and Margaret Benedict bought a gulf front lot from C.H. McGee in Seagrove in 1949 and built a house on it. In 1952, they bought 300 feet of gulf front again from C. H. McGee and built 2 duplexes one year and 2 more the next. They named their 8 kitchenette motel Seagrove Manor (Seagrove Villas at the time of the book writing). They added a coffee shop (now The Wheelhouse Restaurant). Years later in 1967 tourists found Seagrove Beach. Paul became a real estate professional and opened the SoWal Branch of Rivard Realty. In 1974, they bought out the original realtor company owner and renamed the company Rivard Realty of SoWal. And the rest is Seagrove history....great pictures in this book as well.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

http://www.threeartsalliance.com/publications.html

I got a lotta relatives in them there books. :lol:

book_1_cover.jpg

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.

Awesome book....I have my copy right here in front of me now and I am thumbing thru it reading several stories for the 100th time and it is still facinating. Cool stuff for anyone that loves the area in and around Seagrove!