• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tanya

Beach Crab
Jul 10, 2005
Carillon Beach.........but can someone please tell me if we should cancel our plans for coming down on 7/16?...........8 hour drive

or do you think its ok execpt for some beach debris......

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Re: i know this is not.....

tanya said:
thanks 25 views in under 2 minutes and no reply :/

With all due respect it's kinda hard to say right now. The peeps that are in it right now may or may not have power and since the storm isn't over yet they probably aren't driving around to see if it's safe to come down.

suebee

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2005

Do you suppose it's possible that viewers don't have a clue about Carillon, because they are still hunkered down? You have six days left to plan. Give the locals a break!

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

My sister is in the same situation. She planned to come down from July 15-August 15. I'm gonna report back to her as soon as we can get there, hopefully by Tuesday.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

tanya said:
Carillon Beach.........but can someone please tell me if we should cancel our plans for coming down on 7/16?...........8 hour drive

Come on down, Surf's up.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005

From what the news stations have shown...100,000 without power but it sounds like they are concentrated in counties west of 30-A.

I went down after Ivan last year--you'll want to check on power, services (restaurants open again? gas plentiful in the stations again?) and walkovers :).

Expect beach debris. And hurricane debris piled neatly along the road every so many feet waiting for trash pick up.

Also blue skies and that great 30-A feeling. :) .

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Re: should I cancel trip on 7/16?

tanya said:

Patience, Grasshopper, patience...

Give it a day or so. I myself am nervously awaiting to see how access routes fared, since coming down/over/back requires access. Darn thing looked like it went straight over the Escambia Bay Bridge.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well

I'm planning to come to the area on the 16th as well and think it will be fine. As long as there's electricity, a pool, and a beach all should be fine. It's interesting to see the beach after a hurricane -- I came down a few days after Ivan last year and the shells were plentiful (We usually don't have many shells in our area) -- it was really fun and I found some real beauties that are now in our living room at home. But you also need to be careful on the beach a bit because there may still be a lot of debris. But I'll be there with children and will tell them to be careful but have fun exploring. The big question to ask Carillon beach property owner/rental company is whether there is beach access since the walk-overs may be damaged from the storm. Ask them how you would get to the beach. Then don't worry about it and come down and have a good time. Take photos of the beach to show your friends and then compare them with photos you take of the beach a year or two from now to show people how the beach naturally changes over time.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005

Paula said:
I'm planning to come to the area on the 16th as well and think it will be fine.
Email me on Tuesday and if I have T-Mobile service, I'll answer.

landlord

Beach Lover

Paula, Good post. The cup is definitely half full (or more)! I am coming down in the morning to check on our house in Seaside. If it all looks fine, then my family will come down later in the day.

I am eager to get down there and spend some time and count our blessings that we survived so well! :lol: