• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Has anyone eaten at the Destin Commissary? You will get a taste of one of Memphis' finest barbecue places. It was opened by the same people that own and run the Germantown Commissary here. I was never so stunned by the actual lack of barbecue at Sonny's BBQ on Panama City Beach Parkway. What we ended up with was paper thin slices of what was supposed to be beef barbecue on a bun with nothing on it. No slaw was included, had to pay extra for that and no sauce on the sandwich either. Their website does state they have pulled pork but it is not good without BBQ sauce and slaw on top. That makes the BBQ. Don't eat pork though!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Unless they're now trying to open up a new place, Destin Commisary is no more. They sold out to the much inferior Corky's because Corky's made the owners an $$$ offer they couldn't really justify turning down. Then the quality there went massively downhill, and Corky's closed. The building is now a Mexican restaurant called La Rhumba.

I'd like to see the place reappear if they could get good staff back. No one else in the area does that kind of food as well at the reasonable prices they used to have.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
There used to be a joint on Hwy 98 in Destin called the Rib Shack we enjoyed. It was open for years and I think closed after one of the recent hurricanes. Anybody know what happened to these folks? :dunno:

I kinda liked Corky's, but I have no clue since New Orleans is THE WORST BBQ town in the south. :bang: Which bolsters my argument that we are not southern but northern Caribbeaneers :clap_1:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Jim 'N Nick's is reasonably tasty if you want to venture into Fortress Sandestin. But you're talking $12-$17 a head for lunch with plastic silverware.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachmouse said:
Jim 'N Nick's is reasonably tasty if you want to venture into Fortress Sandestin. But you're talking $12-$17 a head for lunch with plastic silverware.
Screw that. Pig's Alley ( I think it is called) just up the street on 98, has some good bbq and nicely priced. Also, Cocoon's in Seagrove has great bbq sandwiches - probably 3/4 lb sandwich and chips for $6.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachmouse said:
Do they have a good bbq chicken? One of my dietary quirks is that I don't eat mammals, so ribs/pulled pork isn't my thing.
The chicken is great.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
So the Destin Commissary and Corkys both went out of business. Corkys ships all their ribs out of here. They have several places here in Memphis. Corkys barbecue here is some of the best you can get. Great barbecue. Don't know why it went downhill down there. There are several good barbecue places here, Showboats, Central BBQ, Tops BBQ, the Rendevous Restaurant downtown, known for their wet and dry ribs. Beachmouse, my husband and I do not eat pork either, we just eat beef. Haven't tried their barbecue chicken though. I am sure it is good.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Smiling JOe said:
Screw that. Pig's Alley ( I think it is called) just up the street on 98, has some good bbq and nicely priced. Also, Cocoon's in Seagrove has great bbq sandwiches - probably 3/4 lb sandwich and chips for $6.

I second the pig's alley suggestion- best place for large takeout orders around.

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
ladydebubba60 said:
So the Destin Commissary and Corkys both went out of business. Corkys ships all their ribs out of here. They have several places here in Memphis. Corkys barbecue here is some of the best you can get. Great barbecue. Don't know why it went downhill down there. There are several good barbecue places here, Showboats, Central BBQ, Tops BBQ, the Rendevous Restaurant downtown, known for their wet and dry ribs. Beachmouse, my husband and I do not eat pork either, we just eat beef. Haven't tried their barbecue chicken though. I am sure it is good.

I heard that the Corky's in Destin was a franchise over which the original owners had very little control and that contributed to its decline. I was at the Germantown Commissary over the weekend and got some food to go, and the bag they put my food in said 'Destin Commissary' and had palm trees on it! They're using up the rest of the supplies here in Memphis now that the Destin one is over.:sosad: