• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
http://www.thedestinlog.com/articles/upbeat_5215___article.html/realtor_realtors.html

Ask an area Realtor what?s happening in the local market and chances are good you?ll get an upbeat answer.
?The market is in great shape,? says Sam Kinkaid of Coldwell Banker United, Realtors. ?Right now there are people who are buying and there are also people looking to buy.?
Turns out, it?s more than an observation. Data recently released by The Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, confirms the local market is, indeed, on an upswing.
The Destin market made some impressive strides in May. Overall the market was up by 15 percent as compared to last year, with sales of single-family homes leading the market with a 20 percent gain.
Sales of condo units in Destin were also up, rising by better than 3 percent.
?Sales are up in Destin as well as in other areas,? observed Kinkaid. ?Many sellers and builders are offering incentives right now and it seems to be paying off.?
While the Emerald Coast overall was down slightly as compared to last year, dipping by about 9 percent, condos held their own, with unit sales neither increasing or decreasing as compared to last year.
When May?s numbers are compared to the previous month rather than the previous year, sales were up across the board.
Sales of condo units rose 47 percent in Destin and 36 percent along the Emerald Coast as a whole. Sales of all types of residential properties increased by 14 percent along the Emerald Coast and 18 percent in Destin.
The data is compiled by ECAR and refers only to transactions by its members, the only licensed real estate sales associates in the local area who are designated as Realtors, and may differ from statistics compiled using the public records.
This is believed to be due, at least in part, to a Realtor?s well-honed expertise in the field ? expertise that often helps sell property in a relatively timely manner and at an appropriate price.
Realtors also help ensure sales contracts are executed by foreseeing potential obstacles, said Kinkaid.
?Realtors can solve problems before they happen,? she said, and can also help consumers save money. ?People think they will save money (by not using a Realtor), but in the long run they often pay more.?
Most importantly, Realtors are held to a high Code of Ethics implemented by the National Association of Realtors, said ECAR president Cliff Chaplin. And this code benefits buyers and sellers alike along with the transactions they enter into.
?The Code of Ethics is at the core of our professionalism,? he said. ?This is what sets us apart and ultimately benefits consumers as well as the market.?
This article was contributed to The Log by the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Turns out, it?s more than an observation. Data recently released by The Emerald Coast Association of Realtors, confirms the local market is, indeed, on an upswing.

Fraud? Nope, they later admit they made up the numbers...

The data is compiled by ECAR and refers only to transactions by its members, the only licensed real estate sales associates in the local area who are designated as Realtors, and may differ from statistics compiled using the public records.

You would think the Destin Log and other local papers would require a counter balance view in the same article when spin like this gets published. I guess all those advertising dollars the association buys have them over a barrel. :dunno:

I'm curious what the local realtors think. I'd understand if something like this was on a local web site, but published in the local paper as a legitimate news article? That just seems a little over the top to me.

Most importantly, Realtors are held to a high Code of Ethics implemented by the National Association of Realtors, said ECAR president Cliff Chaplin.

irony - a subtly humorous perception of inconsistency, in which an apparently straightforward statement or event is undermined by its context so as to give it a very different significance.
:roll::roll::roll:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The article states the statistics are compiled with MLS data.......where is the fraud in that?

When properties are sold, whether in MLS or not, it will show up in public record...yes, that data may be different coming from ECAR...so I would assume the numbers in public record would be higher, therefore more encouraging, than ECAR data. So I am not sure where the negativism is coming from????

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
‘Great shape’: Realtors stay upbeat as May numbers roll in

Ask an area Realtor what’s happening in the local market and chances are good you’ll get an upbeat answer. “The market is in great shape,” says Sam Kinkaid of Coldwell Banker United, Realtors. “Now is a great time to buy!” This article was contributed to The Log by the Emerald Coast Association of Realtors.

There...fixed.

Last edited:

Joe Mammy

Beach Lover
Mar 26, 2007
The article states the statistics are compiled with MLS data.......where is the fraud in that?

When properties are sold, whether in MLS or not, it will show up in public record...yes, that data may be different coming from ECAR...so I would assume the numbers in public record would be higher, therefore more encouraging, than ECAR data. So I am not sure where the negativism is coming from????

Exactly seagrovegirl. The only difference between MLS data and county record is the county record includes transactions where a realtor was not involved- mostly fsbos. Including the fsbos will just give you more sales- hardly a data spin.

I told you guys Destin sales were up and my office was very busy (including me :D). Another very busy weekend with alot of activity.

I think investors are looking at the their MMAs and CDs and seeing yields dropping to less than 3% are searching for better avenues for their dough- John Paul Getty's old adage "buy when everyone is selling" seems like an intelligent solution. Choices include PFE, GE and desparate property sellers.