• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
The DFS Council agreed to have the Mayor represent the city on the new North Walton Committee for the TDC. Resident J.B. Hillard said the commissioners were to have someone from the TDC be at the meeting. Hillard said he has questions. He cited the functions of the committee and the money allotted. Council member Work said the TDC might simply be buying out the city to keep them from seeking bed tax collections north of the bay.

City manager Sara Bowers said an estimate for bed taxes in north Walton would be about $30,000. Hillard said the proposal is reasonable to him, but he still has questions about the process.

Hillard said the TDC was instructed to be at the Council meeting and he is disappointed they were not present. In a review of the Walton commissioner meeting, Commissioner Bill Chapman said he wanted Bagby or someone from the TDC Staff to be at the DeFuniak Springs and Paxton Council meetings to answer any questions. At that commissioner meeting Bagby said the funds are not operational, not to subsidise the events; rather they are from the marketing side to help promote the events. Bagby told the commissioners he and attorney Adkinson had met with City Administrator Sara Bowers about six months ago and feels they knew about the planned committee, but also said the information might not have gotten to the mayor. The Commissioners delayed making appointments to allow the cities to discuss the issue at their meetings.

Shayne Betts said she attended recent commissioner and TDC meetings. She said TDC Director Jim Bagby said the proposed allotment is $15,000 the first year and $30,000 the second. She told the Council Bagby said this was the highest the amount would ever go.

Council member Ron Kelley said, with 2000 bed tax collectors in south Walton and only 6 in north Walton, he does not feel it will take hiring a new employee. He also said a $30,000 cap is not in their best interest and he doubts Bagby’s intentions. Kelley said he is afraid their presence on the advisory committee will be like Walton’s few members on the TPO.

Council member Mac Carpenter said Bagby does not set the budget and the commissioners approve it. He said the comment about the $30,000 was in context to a comment by a TDC member who does not want any of the money going north of the bay. Carpenter said they do not have a seat at any table, but this gets them one at the small table. He also said Bagby said some very positive things about north Walton and events that need funding. Carpenter said the cap is not Bagby’s to decide.

City Manager Sara Bowers said, if the matter goes to the voters to have a north end tax, then the city would get a representative and a bed tax collector. She said the TDC Board makeup would change and become political. Bowers said it is clear they do not want the north end on the board. Kelley agreed. Kelley also said the widening of 331 will mean more bed tax collectors on the north end.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I can appreciate how the North end feels about lack of representation on the TDC. The South end has felt that way for a long on almost every other board, commission, or council that runs the county.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
What are the 6 bed tax collectors north of the bay? I thought we didn't have any north of the bay and that was why the TDC didn't do events up there.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
We have the Hotel Defuniak (historic district) Super 8, Best Western @ I-10 and a small mom and pop bed bug hotel on hwy 90...not sure about 6??

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
My post wasn't intended to imply the North end paid bedtax. I don't even understand whats got the City's panties in a bunch.