• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I loved Smiling Joe's local poll idea :D and have been working on one for the paper this weekend, checking TOS with Topix, before I provided this link.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/defuniak-springs-fl/T7LHMQ4BLS2CUDE2Q

or go to

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/defuniak-springs-fl
and click on polls.

I'm coming out with an article on pre-qualifier's in local races this Tuesday and will include the link as well, so hopefully we will get some feedback from both ends of the County.

Please take a minute to cast a vote on the Walton Sheriffs race.

Thanks,:D
A.Leonard
DFS Herald / Beach Breeze

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It's a partisan race, so I don't think I'm allowed to vote, since I am registered with no political party. However, I did vote in your poll.

Yahoodie

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2007
Looked at those polls just now and they all include people who have not yet entered the race. Mike Adkinson? Josh Sconiers? So do we consider these polls accurate at all???

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Looked at those polls just now and they all include people who have not yet entered the race. Mike Adkinson? Josh Sconiers? So do we consider these polls accurate at all???

Hi :D

That's why I made a different poll for our paper. It's not scientific by any means, but I was just looking to take the temp of our voters in the area and see which way they are leaning. The DFS Herald poll is the only one I will summarize in the end. I wanted voters to have a choice of other or undecided, which the other polls did not have that option and the people I listed have been verified as pre-qualified by the elections office.:cool:

Thanks for the response.

AL

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Okay. The middle poll has several candidates who haven't come out yet / have decided against it due to too many candidates / were not rumored to be running at all, and does not include at least one who is rumored to run. So that begs the question, can anybody put their name on that one, just to see how they would do?

Fuzz is curious. :funn:

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Okay. The middle poll has several candidates who haven't come out yet / have decided against it due to too many candidates / were not rumored to be running at all, and does not include at least one who is rumored to run under the Democrat party. So that begs the question, can anybody put their name on that one, just to see how they would do?

Fuzz is curious. :funn:

I think once a poll is made on that site, it's set. That poll was made back in Dec. by another poster. But anyone can make one in 5 minutes and list anyone they want.

I placed the option of other and undecided on my poll for the paper to give people a chance to vote for someone who may come out later in the game, when the real race starts.:D as well as only listing those who had actually pre-qualified with the elections office.

Thanks for the response.

AL:roll:

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007

The poll is a nice idea to show the initial inclination of the Walton County Voter. I can?t wait to see how it turns out. I am crossing my fingers that people will make some attempt at educating themselves as to these candidates, what their QUALIFICATIONS are and what they stand for. From the looks of the list, I guess we can expect Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck to pre-qualify next. This is simply getting ridiculous, with more and more want to be?s getting involved it is only going to split the votes in multiple directions and give Ralph Johnson an actual chance at getting re-elected to continue to act in a disgraceful manner (Firings, Finances, Fines... the 3F?s).

I make every effort at reserving any negative post about a candidates personal life, professional however, that is different. Qualified and qualifications as written below refer to the candidates education, training and background, not the physical process itself.

If you want to read some very good commentary on "the Marshal" Mike Adkinson, read the blog posts beneath the Northwest Florida Daily News article announcing his pre-qualification (on-line only). Any educated resident knows how he became marshal, he does not have the qualifications.

James Macon, great guy, does a lot for the community - still, not qualified.

Josh Sconiers (sp?), very young, inexperienced. Has been spoon fed his rank with the S.O. and spent most of his time as a Sergeant who worked on the S.O. computers (maybe he can speak to Ralph?s allegations that all of the S.O.?s problems are "computer or software" related). Now he is a bailiff, a position that is a very "cushiony" one. He is a nice guy, unfortunately his is unqualified.

Dennis Wise, OK, he has been around, quite a while. Dennis does know what is wrong with the department, just read his book (I?ll agree it won?t win any awards soon, but he speaks the truth). I want to know HOW Dennis intends to fix these problems...

(Not yet announced, but rumored to do so - Stan Sunday) Stan was R.J.?s #2 guy for almost 6 years. He left to go to the jail with Dan Glidewell. Unfortunately for him, he left too late. The albatross of Johnson still hangs from his neck. Qualified - yes, going to win - no.

Richard Brown, he appears to be very qualified and he is "new blood", which we need. I will have to look into his positions a bit more. He looks good, just like Bill Imfeld did before our tax dollars were used to get him out of the election (more to come out of that one, I?m sure).

Finally, the incumbent, Ralph Johnson. Qualified - proven not. Potential for winning another term - probable. Due to the pool of candidates running to oppose him having grown to numbers so silly that we may see ourselves with a candidate winning the election with percentages not even in the 20's. That is SAD. Wake up people of Walton County. Wake up "want to be sheriff?s". Don?t split the vote. :bang:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
The poll is a nice idea to show the initial inclination of the Walton County Voter. I can?t wait to see how it turns out. I am crossing my fingers that people will make some attempt at educating themselves as to these candidates, what their QUALIFICATIONS are and what they stand for. From the looks of the list, I guess we can expect Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck to pre-qualify next. This is simply getting ridiculous, with more and more want to be?s getting involved it is only going to split the votes in multiple directions and give Ralph Johnson an actual chance at getting re-elected to continue to act in a disgraceful manner (Firings, Finances, Fines... the 3F?s).

I make every effort at reserving any negative post about a candidates personal life, professional however, that is different. Qualified and qualifications as written below refer to the candidates education, training and background, not the physical process itself.

If you want to read some very good commentary on "the Marshal" Mike Adkinson, read the blog posts beneath the Northwest Florida Daily News article announcing his pre-qualification (on-line only). Any educated resident knows how he became marshal, he does not have the qualifications.

James Macon, great guy, does a lot for the community - still, not qualified.

Josh Sconiers (sp?), very young, inexperienced. Has been spoon fed his rank with the S.O. and spent most of his time as a Sergeant who worked on the S.O. computers (maybe he can speak to Ralph?s allegations that all of the S.O.?s problems are "computer or software" related). Now he is a bailiff, a position that is a very "cushiony" one. He is a nice guy, unfortunately his is unqualified.

Dennis Wise, OK, he has been around, quite a while. Dennis does know what is wrong with the department, just read his book (I?ll agree it won?t win any awards soon, but he speaks the truth). I want to know HOW Dennis intends to fix these problems...

(Not yet announced, but rumored to do so - Stan Sunday) Stan was R.J.?s #2 guy for almost 6 years. He left to go to the jail with Dan Glidewell. Unfortunately for him, he left too late. The albatross of Johnson still hangs from his neck. Qualified - yes, going to win - no.

Richard Brown, he appears to be very qualified and he is "new blood", which we need. I will have to look into his positions a bit more. He looks good, just like Bill Imfeld did before our tax dollars were used to get him out of the election (more to come out of that one, I?m sure).

Finally, the incumbent, Ralph Johnson. Qualified - proven not. Potential for winning another term - probable. Due to the pool of candidates running to oppose him having grown to numbers so silly that we may see ourselves with a candidate winning the election with percentages not even in the 20's. That is SAD. Wake up people of Walton County. Wake up "want to be sheriff?s". Don?t split the vote. :bang:

The split the vote issue has been a concern of mine as well.