• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yucarenow

Beach Comber
Jun 25, 2007
anybody live on a dirt road and feel that they pay enough property taxes (for high appraised homes) to deserve concrete pavement.

thanks

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I like the dirt. When they decide to pave, they rip out a 60' wide path, cutting down all of the trees which drape the road, giving it that old Florida feel. They dig ditches, pave, install reflectors along the middle of the road, and it all seems so unnecessary in many cases. Traffic speeds up, and dogs are no longer safe to roam the hood, or play ball in the street. Before long, traffic speeds increase so much that they have to install speed bumps to slow people down, making it rougher than it was when it was dirt.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I like my unpaved road! (and yes, I never thought I'd live on an unpaved road). If they paved it they would have to cut down/mutilate the big oaks overhead to get the equipment in. My car gets dusty, but it would get dirty anyway from pollen etc.

Dirt/gravel/shell roads are a lot cooler than asphalt too.

daddymac

Beach Crab
Aug 30, 2007
To answer your question directly, yes I feel there's enough houses on my street to justify paving, we have probably 8-9 on our street most with 10-15 acre plots. They come and grade the road once or twice a month, they'd save the money on that if they paved.
Indrectly i'd have to agree with the other posts, I dont have a problem with our dirt road, the teens drive like maniacs on it as it is. When we first moved here I was all for it, but after a few years here, I've seen that it does have its advantages, one being it keeps the sightseers out :) We live near freeport.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I was opposed to the county paving our road for the same reasons Smiling Joe mentioned.
It took them almost a year to complete. Now I'm spoiled, I love not having to wash the red clay off my tires after it rains.
But then again I don't think it's rained since it was paved...........:D

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
My road is in the process of being paved. They have been physically working on it for eight months now. It took two years for the county to get the right-of-way.

If you think ANY of our roads are in bad shape in SoWal, I need to take you to my husband's grandmother's house in NoWal. I am not kidding. We live on streets of gold compared to the Glendale area.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
anybody live on a dirt road and feel that they pay enough property taxes (for high appraised homes) to deserve concrete pavement.

thanks

The dirt doesn't bother me, but I'm a little ticked off at what it costs to get hooked up to the sewer. Thread drift are us...

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Going to BUnker today :love: :love: I dont expect WCO to ever pave that road. It is about 15 miles long and the only way to get to is is through Bay Co. It certainly keeps the wanderers away-- Complete dead end. Yes my car gets dirty and sometimes when they are behind on grating the road I have to drive about 5 MPH b/c the bumps are so bad but it is just a settling feeling that I am going to solitude...:love: I just hope it always stays that way.......but I know that it will not. Change is inevitable...