• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
Was sent this photo just now Code enforcement has been called. Wonder if anyone will do anything. I understand this is in front of the Retreat

Attachments

• dirty sand.jpg
    dirty sand.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 286

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Why am I not surprised. The elite at the Retreat believe they can do anything they want and to hell with all others. They have more than proved this in the past.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
It appears that they have torn up the dunes at the Retreat and are now putting in metal seawalls as well as the darker sand. Anyone know the story and why the county is allowing this? Bobby J? Dave?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The checking I've done tells me that they are permitted by FDEP to haul sand from a site in Grayton Beach to their dune. They have been permitted to put in, of all things, geotubes. I called the sheriff's office yesterday and filed a complaint about them crossing our private beach. No results yet and tomorrow I will call FDEP to see if I can find out further informaton. The permit is good until March 2013, I am told. As everyone is aware, I am in full support of public beaches. My suggestion would be for those owners who's deeds say they have private beaches to call FDEP, the sheriff's office, code enforcement and your commissioner and file a complaint. It would appear the only way you can stop this rape of our beach is to forbid them passage.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
The checking I've done tells me that they are permitted by FDEP to haul sand from a site in Grayton Beach to their dune. They have been permitted to put in, of all things, geotubes. I called the sheriff's office yesterday and filed a complaint about them crossing our private beach. No results yet and tomorrow I will call FDEP to see if I can find out further informaton. The permit is good until March 2013, I am told. As everyone is aware, I am in full support of public beaches. My suggestion would be for those owners who's deeds say they have private beaches to call FDEP, the sheriff's office, code enforcement and your commissioner and file a complaint. It would appear the only way you can stop this rape of our beach is to forbid them passage.
Our "beloved" governor has placed his type of "environmentalist" in charge of the FDEP, so I doubt they give a rat's arse about what is going on with the beaches.... Perhaps it's time for a major "hands across the sand" rally in front of the RichTreat to gets some media attention and stir the pot?

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
I have been watching them race in the surf on stormy days. they have driven over every inch of beach from grayton to the retreat. You can not sit on the beach without being in DEEP wheel tracks. The erosion they have caused far exceeds the amount of sand they are moving! Will they bring sand in to replace the beaches that are being lost? I have seen 18" wheel ruts disappear in the next wave!
The ghost crabs who have suffered with oil headache WERE attempting to sleep in the sand, as they do in the winter, but must have all been crushed by this operation. So now, if we have any beach left when they are done, it will be devoid of life!

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
WARNING
If you have a weak stomach do not visit this link!

You can see photos at
http://retreathomeowners.org/beach_renovation.asp

beach_1_1-11-2012.jpg

December 6, 2011

Excavation has commenced to within 75 feet of the common area boardwalk. Filling of the first tube has begun and is continuing to commence.

December 15, 2011

The second tube was almost filled allowing for a total of approximately 500 linear feet of completed tube. The first tube was a 250’ and the second tube appears to be a 250’long tube rather than the 125 feet tube that was anticipated to be installed. Excavation and grading for the upper most tube at the western end has mostly completed up to the western boardwalk.

December 19, 2011

The third 250’ tube has been laid out on top of the previously filled two 250’ tubes and they have begun to filling it. These tubes are from the existing tubes purchased in 2005. A 125’ tube will be placed at the extreme western end to complete the western end of the project. Jeremy has informed me that sand will begin to be trucked to the site starting sometime after the New Year. He also informed me they will cease work on this Friday and will resume on January 2nd. They will also need to relocate the wash plant when they return in order to fill the western 125’ long tube. This will be done when they return in January. Most of the equipment will be broken down and removed from the beach. Jeremy has also indicated that they are still on schedule barring any future delays. It is taking approximately 4 days at a time to fill a tube +/- a day.

January 5, 2011

Dark colored sand is continued to be removed and is also being stockpiled temporarily at the Grayton beach access. White sand from Sike’s mine is continuing to be stockpiled and graded. Grading the dune at the extreme western end of the project where no tubes were planned has begun. The scour tube and the geotextile fabric for the 5th tube was being filled and re-staked. The geotube itself was to be laid out tomorrow. On Monday the Pool/Common Area boardwalk will be demolished and excavation will commence to the existing steel sheet pile wall.

January 11, 2011

The majority of the dark colored sand has been removed from the beach and the Grayton beach Access. Beach quality sand from Sike’s mine is continuing to be stockpiled at the beach access site. The 5th tube was almost completely filled . Demolition of the Pool (middle) boardwalk has occurred leaving the eastern most boardwalk available for beach access. Access to the pool is currently closed due to remodeling. Grade has been set for the upper tube as seen in the photograph.

January 16, 2011

Beach quality sand from Sike’s mine is continuing to be stockpiled at the beach access site and graded at the western end of the project. Geotube placement to the west of the western most beach access has been completed. A small portion of the tubes was covered in front of the beach access to allow installation of the sand markers. Markers were also installed at the western end of the tubes per the plans in order to mark the sand depth once placed on top of the tubes. Filling of the geotubes continues to the east towards the common area boardwalk.