Disney Whirled

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by full time, Nov 25, 2007.

1. full time

full time Beach Fanatic

2. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

As stated the rumor has been around for years, and as stated Walt was interested back when he was looking but went to Orlando instead.

Considering a huge percentage of Disney guest's come from the SE, why would Disney be interested in building something that would be in the direct path of their current location. Make no sense at all.

Now if you are talking Disney Vacation Club expanding to the Gulf coast, that I might be willing to say is possible.

3. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

Please do not let Brody know they are not coming!!!! He sits and waits patiently....:sosad:

[​IMG]

4. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

BobbyJ, you are not that far take that boy and let me know when you want to go, we have gone every year since 87 with over 25 trips and stay usually about 2 weeks. Have stayed at all the resorts and know the ends and outs.

I posted some of this info on the Lounge about our Disney adventures. Its the Castle Thread.

[ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=17723"]SoWal Beaches Forum[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  5. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

You might want to avoid June 3rd thru the 9th, that's when the employees and their "families" take over.

6. full time

full time Beach Fanatic

Did anyone bother to read the article? You don't intentionally avoid open meeting laws to do nothing.

7. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Did this happen to hit the wrong thread?

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

"carnival people"....:floor:

9. 00seer00

00seer00 Beach Lover

Something is Cooking, it might not be a Mickey cookie but with 86 square miles of land you can bake allot of cakes.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak was more direct.
    ?We?re not currently working on any projects in your area,? she said after checking with company planners. ?We tend to hear rumors from time to time, but we had not heard this one.?
    That might be the end of it, except that there is something happening with the Northern Trust land.
    Joel Pate, chairman of the Washington County Commission, confirmed he has a meeting this week with representatives of the Knight family.
    He said he had no idea what they wanted, but County Administrator Peter Herbert said the reps are meeting individually with all the commissioners to discuss plans for the land. The meetings won?t be public under that arrangement.
    ?They?re kind of exploring the possibilities,? Herbert said.
    And for now, that still leaves plenty of room for speculation.

10. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Yes I read it and no where did the article say that Disney was involved. Did you even bother to read my comment. :dunno:

I do not see them building another theme park that would be in direct competition with WDW, but I would possibly see them building a DVC in the area, especially since they are currently developing more DVCs outside of the theme park areas such as the recently announced one in Hawaii.

DVC possible, theme park, I don't see it.

11. full time

full time Beach Fanatic

No Gay, it wasn't the wrong thread. It was apparent to me that no one posting (until 00Seer) had taken the time to read the article (which was probably one of the few examples of investigative reporting I've seen in Panama City). The importance of the article was not Disney, but that something looks to be in the works on the Northern Trust property. You don't meet privately with all Commissioners unless you are lining up political support for something substantial.

12. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

I don't think it was apparent at all that we had not read the article, I read it all. But the title of this thread is "Disney Whirled" so therefore we were discussing the prospect of "Disney" being interested in the land not someone else.

If the thread had been, Northern Trust Property Speculation, then the answers would have reflected the title.

And Disney might very well be talking to them and even so everyone is entitled to speculate as to what that talk might involve. For me I don't see it being another theme park, and that is based on having friends at Disney on the Vice President level. I do however know that intend to expand their DVC interest.

However Disney has met many times behind closed doors with other areas and nothing became of it, the Virginia area being an example.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  13. full time

full time Beach Fanatic

The thread title was the title of the newspaper article. Should have put it in quotes - sorry to confuse you.

14. 00seer00

00seer00 Beach Lover

15. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Sorry, the over whelming majority of the article seemed to be about rumors of a theme park in our neck of the woods. Quite frankly I don't think they are up to anything shady. If they were there would be no mention of meetings period. I also don't find it odd that a family who owns newpapers (generally printed on paper) also own large amounts of timber land located near, what used to be, a major paper mill. Maybe they are in talks to donate the land to the county and want to make sure the county wants to take on the responsibility? Could it be concern over land use changes? Washington County is also desperate for economic development and being that the land is so close to the new airport that could be an issue at hand. I realize that the conspiracy theorists out there want to go with the "shady good ole boys are screwing us", but has anyone considered that someone could be doing good or even considering it and just doesn't want to disappoint the public should it not go thru?

16. full time

full time Beach Fanatic

Here we have 55,000 acres being discussed in private for development in Washington County - about 30 minutes from 30-A This board has 14 responses and one that is remotely useful. Let me see if I can help get the real estate discussion going - how bout dem turtle eggs?

17. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

:dunno: Maybe no ones overly concerned since this is SoWal.com. Try SoWash.com for more spirited reaction.

18. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    I'm not Mr. SHELLY, but I do know that in the state of Florida anytime two commissioners get together to discuss public business it is considered a public meeting and thus must be open to anyone. I am not sure but I would think such a meeting would have to be scheduled and on the official schedule. Meetings with individual commissioners do not have to be open to the public; however if two commissioners correspond by letter or email regarding their meetings with said individual, that correspondence is public and should be easily obtainable. In fact, any correspondence relating to matters of public interest are considered public record. The story was well done and I hope the News Herald continues pursuing this. Where there is smoke there is fire. :popcorn:

As an east ender who comes from Tampa, I pass through this area every time I come to SoWal. A large development or theme park would indeed affect us. Full time was right to post this here. Thanks for the link! :clap:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  19. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    A nice thought but unrealistic. Down here our fine local paper just broke the story that the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays have been meeting for months privately with city officials in St. Petersburg regarding a new stadium. They found ways to get around the laws regarding this, and it has :pissed: a lot of people off.

The Sunshine laws are in place for a reason, and anytime someone is working around them ... time to pay attention. Nice job News Herald; this is the kind of oversight the area desperately needs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  20. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

What info would you like me to create for you?