• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
We do have a few, but they are few, who take extended vacations to Maine and other less hot and humid climates during the summer. I also have a couple of folks who move out for the summer if they can book enough rentals. So it does happen, but not very much.

Thanks. I am exploring reasons for why so many people down there do not participate in the election primaries. In the more central and southern counties it seems to be that many are out of the area. They have had good luck increasing participation by launching absentee ballot initiatives in Feb and March. But what I am hearing here is that this would probably not make that much of a difference. I guess people here are just much happier with the current elected officials and see little need for change.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can't participate in the primaries because I am registered as an independent.

I do love having the extended time frame for voting though. Makes it much easier to fit it into the schedule and I end up voting much more often. (Of course it helps that the voting area is next to the library so I just stop in whenever I see the sign out.)

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Thanks. I am exploring reasons for why so many people down there do not participate in the election primaries. In the more central and southern counties it seems to be that many are out of the area. They have had good luck increasing participation by launching absentee ballot initiatives in Feb and March. But what I am hearing here is that this would probably not make that much of a difference. I guess people here are just much happier with the current elected officials and see little need for change.

You forget that Miramar Beach + absentee ballots swung a certain local race back to the incumbent in the last election. :nono1:

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

I've only missed one election since moving from Okaloosa to Walton County. Last time, almost everyone I voted for lost. It is still amazing to me.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

I do love having the extended time frame for voting though. Makes it much easier to fit it into the schedule and I end up voting much more often. (Of course it helps that the voting area is next to the library so I just stop in whenever I see the sign out.)

School board elections are in the primaries usually and are open to everyone. There are also universal primaries if no opposing party is running for a particular office, so there are quite a few times everyone can participate.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
You forget that Miramar Beach + absentee ballots swung a certain local race back to the incumbent in the last election. :nono1:

Wasn't that a general election? I know Jones was losing on the north side of the bay several years ago until Miramar came in and put him in the lead by several hundred votes. The last time I believe he was pretty much winning in the south until the north put Barnhill back in. If not then it was really close until the end.

One year I remember that Walker and Beasley were the only two Republicans that were winning north of the bay, then the south vote put them in office.

It is really interesting to take a look at the precinct by precinct breakdown of how elections go in this county.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
School board elections are in the primaries usually and are open to everyone. There are also universal primaries if no opposing party is running for a particular office, so there are quite a few times everyone can participate.

Yep, as a former Chicago girl - I was raised to vote early and often! Whenever I CAN vote, I do!

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic

I used to be registered independent...but then I changed to a major party registration so I could participate more fully in the primaries. It doesn't really matter how you're registered for the ultimate election.

Register w/ the party you "most nearly" align with if you want to be a
"potential supporter"...
OR
Register w/ the party you "least" align with if you want your primary vote to be a "detractor".

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I agree with the other posters. I know only a few locals who head back to their second homes up north. I have seen a small trend of those people changing their second home from being here at the beach, to what used to be their primary residence up north. They used to come to the beach only for the 3-4 months of winter, and now they stay here for 8-9 months and head north for the heat of the summer.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Wasn't that a general election? I know Jones was losing on the north side of the bay several years ago until Miramar came in and put him in the lead by several hundred votes. The last time I believe he was pretty much winning in the south until the north put Barnhill back in. If not then it was really close until the end.

One year I remember that Walker and Beasley were the only two Republicans that were winning north of the bay, then the south vote put them in office.

It is really interesting to take a look at the precinct by precinct breakdown of how elections go in this county.

Yes, it was a general election. But not one of the ones you mentioned. :roll: