• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We keep landline phones in our rentals for guests. With two cottages, it costs us about $30 per cottage per month for the regular phone and then the "block service" so that guests can't make long-distance calls. When we travel, however, we notice that most of the places we rent (other than hotels) don't have phones. How many people here have landline phones in their rentals, especially now that most people have cell phones? I'm trying to decide whether we should keep the phones in the cottages. Opinions from owners/guests? Thanks.

We keep landline phones in our rentals for guests. With two cottages, it costs us about $30 per cottage per month for the regular phone and then the "block service" so that guests can't make long-distance calls. When we travel, however, we notice that most of the places we rent (other than hotels) don't have phones. How many people here have landline phones in their rentals, especially now that most people have cell phones? I'm trying to decide whether we should keep the phones in the cottages. Opinions from owners/guests? Thanks.
We used to have a landline phone in every room, but as renters have broken them, we haven't replaced them.

That being said, sometimes our Verizon phones don't work at our home, and thus we might need a landline just to call 911. That might be true for one of our guests.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
An out-of-network cell phone wouldn't pick up a reverse 911 call, would it? Considering how many risk factors this area has- hurricane, wildfire, military 'oopsie'... I'd keep a bare bones landline in a rental unit for that kind of worst case safety warning alone. (and if Walton County doesn't currently do this, it really should)

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Paula, you're asking something I've been meaning to ask myself, so I thank you. One of our friends doesn't keep a phone in his condo for guests--he relies completely on cell phone (at his own home, too). I was wondering if we should go through the expense of it at our condo but didn't know if it was a legal requirement or not for a rental property. Anyone know for sure? I wouldn't mind nixing a $300+ yearly expense if I could!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm not sure if it is a legal requirement, but I can tell you that it is a huge liability issue.

Guest leaves coffee pot on and house/condo burns. You try to recover damages and in court a judge throws out the lawsuit since you didn't provide a land line that was traceable by 911 so the fire department was delayed or the guest didn't have a cell phone and so couldn't call 911.

This scenario also fits medical emergencies. I'm going to do some research, but I know that many rental companies contracts require land line phone service.

Keep in mind VRBO'ers that it's a great tool during spring break:

Ring Ring
You: Can I speak to Joe Parent that signed contract.
Drunk Teen: They're not here.
You: When will they be in?
Drunk Teen: When we check Saturday on out. Woo hoo lets get drunk/stoned and...

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
Good question. We don't have a lot of renters, but multiple owners and there is always that $300/yr line item on expenses that is discussed. I, personally, think we need it for 911, but i'm open to suggestions, comments, etc. Here at Seacrest, we can only call folks on 30a and west, not Panama city, so that limits our phone capabilities. But I know the pizza delivery folks appreciate having an actual land line on the caller ID. I appreciate any enlightenment folks have on this subject

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
I did think that it was a requirement that there be a landline which could be used to call 911. Whether that was an insurance requirement or otherwise I don't know. I do know a friend of mine was miffed by all the fees she had to pay just to keep the line local only and keep all the features off it.

mommaDee

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2009
I am a land locked Canadian
I'm a renter and really do appreciate a land phone line. While being available for emergency reasons is of paramount importance, I would prefer not using my cell phone to make those all important dinner reservations as well. My cell phone coverage is "Canadian" and I pay $12 to $15 dollars roaming fees for an international call while on 30A.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I'm a renter and really do appreciate a land phone line. While being available for emergency reasons is of paramount importance, I would prefer not using my cell phone to make those all important dinner reservations as well. My cell phone coverage is "Canadian" and I pay $12 to $15 dollars roaming fees for an international call while on 30A.

Case closed! The people have spoken. :clap: Thanks, mommaDee!

I must have one in WC....of course, it includes dialing for whatever your heart desires. ;-)