• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
a professional police chief selected based on experience and performance, working through the ranks, etc, sounds like the kind of person I would love to have in charge of law enforcement around here. but no, we have to elect a sheriff based on who has the money and manly friends. talk about an antiquated system. :roll:

also, I like a professional cop with a big budget. it takes a lot of work to create and implement programs, bringing a department up to speed as it should have been long before. if you have a department head with a budget that barely changes, you typically have a static department with little or no real leadership or progress. at least that is my experience in city govt.

My dear, we do not have a candidate who "worked through the ranks" with the possible exception of cornman. We have a group with alot of street experience, a couple with the next level and three with executive experience (Adkinson, Johnson and Cooper) but not one single one of them have been captains, majors, colonels, chief deputy, undersheriff,etc that is the level next to the top. Ralphie should have already demonstrated that this is at best a crapshoot. Bill Imfeld would have fit the bill exactly but alas, ralphie had him eliminated.

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
I see where Mr. Adkinson has piled in the money to his campaign. I hope you good folks down south really know what you are in for. Looks like much of his money is from family. Those roots sure run deep. Are you guys down there aware of exactly how deep they run? If you guys wish to go back to the old way of having deputies get ready. Do you remember the years of the pre Johnson sheriff? Does anyone know the relationship between the city Marshall, the city attorney, and the former sheriff? They are all related! Aside from that, take a look at Adkinsons experience. He has not led anything before he was "chosen" remember who the city attorney is, as the city's top cop, so he has 3 years on the job, not really proven if you ask me. Look what we got with Johnson and he had 25 years on the job. We have some pretty cars and the officers make better money than ever before in Debunk, but that is no sign of a true leader. Look at the big picture Walton County! On second thought, maybe we should elect him and get us a new police chief
Alton Whitaker

Thank you for your honest reporting on this candidate. I realize that anyone can vote for who ever they want but like you said there is a lot of question's that the City Marshall has not answered. If you look at how South Walton is patrolled I would say that we have a great Sheriff.

I like knowing my baby and family can go down to Sea Side or surrounding area and not have to worry about getting mugged. No panhandlers, no crime and great officers on the Job lets me know that the current Sheriff is my man. We can think that the grass is greener on the other side but often when we go over to the other side we find out that we were mistaken.

Sheriff Johnson is honest and loves his community, he cares deeply about South Walton and is committed to being the best Sheriff that Walton County has ever had.

I respect his opponent but it is my belief the current Sheriff is the most qualified man for the Job.:wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
My dear, we do not have a candidate who "worked through the ranks" with the possible exception of cornman. We have a group with alot of street experience, a couple with the next level and three with executive experience (Adkinson, Johnson and Cooper) but not one single one of them have been captains, majors, colonels, chief deputy, undersheriff,etc that is the level next to the top. Ralphie should have already demonstrated that this is at best a crapshoot. Bill Imfeld would have fit the bill exactly but alas, ralphie had him eliminated.

my darling, I do agree its a crapshoot. with the election system and all at the county level, that is just the way it works. it doesn't do any good to complain about it, but I just don't get why we keep doing it the same old dumb way.

my previous point was that I would much rather see a professional law enforcement department, as in Police Chief.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

The Hatch Act was passed when Ralph was to young to even vote.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Thank you for your honest reporting on this candidate. I realize that anyone can vote for who ever they want but like you said there is a lot of question's that the City Marshall has not answered. If you look at how South Walton is patrolled I would say that we have a great Sheriff.

I like knowing my baby and family can go down to Sea Side or surrounding area and not have to worry about getting mugged. No panhandlers, no crime and great officers on the Job lets me know that the current Sheriff is my man. We can think that the grass is greener on the other side but often when we go over to the other side we find out that we were mistaken.

You do not live here or vote here, so why do you think it is your decision?

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
You do not live here or vote here, so why do you think it is your decision?

I have been know to frequent Sea Side from time to time and I love the fact that it is one of the safest places in the state of FL to visit. I give the Sheriff credit for that.

He has been good to the people of South Walton and has bent over backward to see to it that South Walton is a place that people can come and enjoy themselves.

He is caring and more than that he is honest. It is my belief that the Sheriff will not meet the opposition that some on this site believe he will.

In the end people are going to go with the man who has looked out for their security. That is Sheriff Johnson and the fine men and women of the Walton County Sheriff's dept.:wave:

WCcitizens

Beach Lover
Mar 25, 2008
Miramar Beach
I truly believe that Mike Adkinson is the best qualified to get WCSO back on track. Sure we have others that are running in the race who have moved up the ranks in their LE career, but let's get real here...Mr. Adkinson has proven his LE management way above all the others.
Cornman.....he's probably a damn good officer, but that's it, he's just a street officer. Cooper....hell, when was the last time he arrested someone? Oh I forgot, he's only a reserve officer with WCSO who just works occassionally at football games, if it's not raining? I wonder why Ralphie hasn't let him go, curious minds want to know? And ralphie, well is about like Cornman, all he's ever been was a trooper. How can someone work as a state trooper for 25 years and even get any type of rank at all? That just puzzels me. :dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I truly believe that Mike Adkinson is the best qualified to get WCSO back on track. Sure we have others that are running in the race who have moved up the ranks in their LE career, but let's get real here...Mr. Adkinson has proven his LE management way above all the others.
Cornman.....he's probably a damn good officer, but that's it, he's just a street officer. Cooper....hell, when was the last time he arrested someone? Oh I forgot, he's only a reserve officer with WCSO who just works occassionally at football games, if it's not raining? I wonder why Ralphie hasn't let him go, curious minds want to know? And ralphie, well is about like Cornman, all he's ever been was a trooper. How can someone work as a state trooper for 25 years and even get any type of rank at all? That just puzzels me. :dunno:

I do believe, out of respect for the office, we need to refer to the incumbent as Sheriff Johnson. I see no reason to try to demean anyone in these discussions.