• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

springfield4

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2007
Interesting. Neighbor's house in WaterColor just had a family show up in 3 cars from two different states(none of which is same state as the owner). Unpacked. Commented about how nice the back porch is. Managed by local rental management company. As has been recommended by Sheriff Adkinson we contacted the Walton County Sheriff's Office who responded and came to the home. Report back is that "they have permission from the owner to be there". Deputy verified by phone with the owner. None of this seems to line up with the Sheriff's public remarks. I guess they may not paying so aren't "renting".

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Interesting. Neighbor's house in WaterColor just had a family show up in 3 cars from two different states(none of which is same state as the owner). Unpacked. Commented about how nice the back porch is. Managed by local rental management company. As has been recommended by Sheriff Adkinson we contacted the Walton County Sheriff's Office who responded and came to the home. Report back is that "they have permission from the owner to be there". Deputy verified by phone with the owner. None of this seems to line up with the Sheriff's public remarks. I guess they may not paying so aren't "renting".
I expect a constant stream of "friends" from out of state week after week after week...

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I call BS. These owners are telling people to say that so they dont get kicked out and the owners dont have to refund $. But hey...at least the WCSO tried. If the owner says they are "not renting" not much else he can do. It will be interesting to see how the TDC handles things when they get wind of taxes not being paid on these "not rentals". But I still think they should be made to leave since he only thinks residents/owners should be here.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I call BS. These owners are telling people to say that so they dont get kicked out and the owners dont have to refund $. But hey...at least the WCSO tried. If the owner says they are "not renting" not much else he can do. It will be interesting to see how the TDC handles things when they get wind of taxes not being paid on these "not rentals". But I still think they should be made to leave since he only thinks residents/owners should be here.
Sheriff Deputy should have said “Great, enjoy your fourteen day self quarantine.”

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
“There will be warrants issued for arrest,” Sheriff Adkinson said.

Adkinson provided the public with two non-emergency office telephone numbers — (850) 892-8186 and (850) 892-1111 — to call to report potential violations of the short-term vacation rental ban.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
It's too bad that there are people who don't comply with good public policy, but thank goodness we don't have elected officials like the Governor of Michigan and the mayor of Chicago.

DuneDaze

Beach Crab
May 3, 2020
FL-30A
That Franklin quote in context means the opposite of what what you are attempting to convey.
He was writing about a tax dispute between the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the family of the Penns, the proprietary family of the Pennsylvania colony who ruled it from afar. And the legislature was trying to tax the Penn family lands to pay for frontier defense during the French and Indian War. And the Penn family kept instructing the governor to veto. Franklin felt that this was a great affront to the ability of the legislature to govern. And so he actually meant purchase a little temporary safety very literally. The Penn family was trying to give a lump sum of money in exchange for the General Assembly's acknowledging that it did not have the authority to tax it.
The quote is actually in support of the authority of government.
Nice try Poppaj.
That’s actually a “progressive” interpretation of Franklin’s famous quote which has been pushed by a senior fellow at the Brookings Institute, one of the most far-left think tanks in the country.

Gotta hand it to the Libs — always trying to twist people’s words and re-write history to suit their narrative.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
And, this morning, there are folks on Facebook bashing the Sheriff's Office for responding to a rental complaint. Said they "scared" a family that was here for a 34-day rental, which is reportedly outside of the ban.
Who the H rents for 34 days unless it's to avoid something?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
County employees can pretend they don't work for tourists and the tourism industry but that doesn't make it true. The BCC is owned by business, which is tourism and everything related including retail, restaurants, services, real estate and development. The South Walton Small business lobby bought the BCC and calls the shots.
Many "county" employees don't work for the BCC, and while not real fond of tourists, try to be helpful to everyone that comes in or calls.