• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
If they aren’t renting then there isn’t any tax to be collected. Lots of owners, family, etc here NOT renting but bringing in much needed $ into the community. And people can rent for 30+ days pretty cheaply these days which are allowed. We don’t need local busy bodies tattle tailing on people when they don’t actually know the facts.
If people are here under rules then they have nothing to worry about. Relax.

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
If people are here under rules then they have nothing to worry about. Relax.
You are correct that the snitches need to relax and mind their own business. We don’t need to waste our limited police resources on BS like this. If they re holding a blow out Party or something then it may warrant a visit from the authorities but the garbage of calling the police because someone bought a raft with out of state tags has got to stop.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I bet all these people calling people "snitches' and "busy bodies" will be the first to call and "waste our limited police resources on BS" because someone is sitting on a towel on the wrong spot on the beach.

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
I bet all these people calling people "snitches' and "busy bodies" will be the first to call and "waste our limited police resources on BS" because someone is sitting on a towel on the wrong spot on the beach.
Quite the contrary. I would expect them to be one and the same.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So those folks who are renting, in violation of the order, are they remitting the tax? If not tax evasion is a pretty serious crime, of course this is just my opinion.

Blueprint30a

Beach Crab
May 6, 2020
30a
We are homeowners here from rural Tennessee where there have been only 6 cases of Covid in our whole area since March. We arrived yesterday to spend time at our vacation home since we are following the rules and cannot rent. We had the sheriff called on us within an hour of our arrival from a "neighbor" who does not live in our neighborhood but was patrolling since he saw cars with out of state tags.
Though I won't say it was "traumatizing" as some have written on this forum (that people have made fun) it is however, unnerving for a police car to pull up in front of your house where you pay the mortgage, HOA, and taxes and knock on your door and ask you to step outside and see everyone's identification while your child is asking if "Mommy and Daddy are in trouble?"
The police officer was very polite and apologized for having to bother us and stated, "It's a shame we are having to waste our time and resources on these calls when we could be out fighting real crime."
I would like everyone to stay safe and follow the rules but please let's not get ahead of ourselves and assume the worst of our friends and neighbors. It's always helpful to put ourselves in someone else's shoes before applying judgement.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
Some amazing responses to this thread. It's pretty simple. In the words of the Sheriff himself:

“If you don’t live or own property here, you’re not supposed to be here; the only people who should be on the beach right now are property owners or local residents."

While I am not sure about calling the cops on people, the current vacation rental rules could not be any clearer.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
"It's a shame we are having to waste our time and resources on these calls when we could be out fighting real crime."
Yes it IS a shame, but it is being brought on by homeowners that are breaking the law by renting and the people they are renting to getting on social media laughing and thumbing their noses at the law, posting pictures and bragging about being at a "short term rental"..but here we are.