• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
Yeah, I know, we just left and I'm already trying to come back..

Is October swimmable? Weather.com said the avg high was 80. I'm thinking that might be a little cool for my toddler (?) Or is it really warm enough to swim?
Maybe Sept would be better?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The water temperatures usually are in the low 80s at the start of October and fall to 75-78F by the first week in November.

A competition swimming pool is usually kept at 78F.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
October 15 is about my cut-off date for a good swim and this is from someone who likes her water like soup. ;-)

cooper

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2008
In 2008-09 swam every month except Jan and Feb (couldn't make it down but might have jumped in just to complete the year if we had). Pretty cold in December and March, but October (if no hurricane and flies aren't out) may be the best time of year. More pleasant on the beach then than July and Aug, imho.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Same here... I swam in December, and again in March. I enjoy cold water though - the water here is never too cold IMO.

October is the best for beach time... the only possible negatives are: 1) A hurricane/tropical storm blowing in, and 2) Black flies. I just discovered Cactus Juice this summer, I'm hoping it's good for black flies too...

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
My family makes annual trip every Thanksgiving and we swim....It is great. The water is usually clearer and calmer. I love it....And hey, I don't spend the day in the kitchen on Thanksgiving...but don't tell anybody