1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Your Place at the Beach Have Heat?

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Mermaid, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Now before you say "What an idiot question! Of course we have heat! :eek: " think about it. Where's your furnace?

I know where the A/C unit is at the condo. I know where the hot water heater is, in the closet by the door. But I'll be darned if I know where the heat comes from. Ideas?

Next, assuming we all have heat, when does it usually need to go on? By Christmas, do you think?

2. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

You probably have a heat pump, in which case it is the same as the air conditioning unit. Look at the temperature control and see if it say's heat on it.

3. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

No furnaces. Almost everyone has heat pumps here which only work in mild climates.

4. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

That makes sense to me, but I'd never in a million years have thought of that. The furnaces up North are huge! After a while you get to thinking that that's the norm. We were scratching our heads last night trying to figure out where the heat in our place came from and if we even had any. ;-)

Now when do you usually put it on?

5. Landlocked

Landlocked Beach Fanatic

We turned ours on last night and it smelled like the house was on fire. I guess from the dust burning or something.

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I bet you were also wondering where to deliver the heating fuel.:funn:

7. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Our house has a very large furnace and a/c unit and it is located in its own room next to the laundry room. During the summer, if no one is at the house, we keep the thermostat turned on 75. In winter with no one there, we turn it down to 65. (If you have a management company, they will probably keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter, even with no one there. We have to harp on this all the time with ours.) Winters at South Walton beaches can be very mild, or they can get hard freezes right around Christmas. Generally speaking, the weather changes by Halloween and begins to get warmer about the second week in March. Very, very important to ask how often your filters will be changed. We find ours in FL require changing out much more often than here in CA.

8. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Alright now smarty pants! :D

Donna, good advice about the furnace filters. I'm glad you mentioned that because our condo--which is the size of a postage stamp, no joke--came with something like a dozen or more filters! At first we thought there must have been a fire sale on them at the local Target, but now that you've said how often they need to be changed, it makes sense.

9. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Definitely take care of changing those filters. We were at the cottage this August and the ceiling just started to leak a tiny bit through a vent. (lucky it happened when we were there and not when renters were there!) So, we figured it was the air conditioner, turned it off. When the repairman came, he showed us the filthy filter and said no one had changed it in months. So, we called our rental agency because we thought they were supposed to be changing the filters. They said they didn't have us on their list of filters to be changed. So, now it's straight but if we hadn't been there there would have been significant damage to the ceiling, floors, who knows what else. All because the filters weren't changed. They should be done monthly. In fact, I'm going to call our agency tomorrow to be sure we're on their filter change list now!

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    I'm just glad I happened to drive down by myself on the 12th to discover that the pool heater was broken. My family and my daughter's friends (AND I) would have really been ticked off if we couldn't get in the pool and hot tub during Thanksgiving!

We check on things frequently because we've found that we can't totally depend on others to care for our things as we would.

11. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

OMG...when I read this, I thought you were referring to BR's GUN. Please tell me BR that you don't pack heat at the beach!!!!

12. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Ms Kitty, calm down. That kind of heat wouldn't fit in BR's string bikinis! Our BR is NOT like that lolapalooza you and GTTBM saw at Bud & Alley's last night :lolabove:

13. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

hee hee hee

Have you not seen any James Bond movies? Those chicks hide weapons EVERYWHERE!!!

14. Beach Runner

Heck, for the next home invasion, I've already planned where I'll hide my big diamond ring! Actually, on second thought, some guys like to go there. EWWWW! So maybe I should re-think the plan.

I do travel with a gun in the glove compartment when I'm alone.

15. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

BR, the mind boggles on thinking where your diamond ring is going. :oops:

16. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    It's amazing how quick they get really dirty. We changed ours in Sept. when we were here. We also have a HV/AC company do quarterly checks. I arranged for them to come while we were here. I was amazed how dirty our filters were in just 3 weeks!

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Cleavage seems to be a good place to hide things.

18. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I agree with you! This is very important info! They changed mine when we first arrived and I have noticed how dusty things get very quickly! Sort of like ME...waiting on HMM to go to dinner!

19. Beach Runner

I don't have any, so I can't relate to that option. I do keep lipstick in my bra at parties so I don't have to carry a purse. Does that count? :floor:

Sorry, message-board Nazis. I'll not contribute any more to the tangent. :D

20. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

My air handler also has a permanent-type filter at the base of the unit that you can only get to by removing the front panel of the unit, although I can look underneath and see it. I clean it a couple of times a year. If you have one like mine and you don't know about that filter, it's probably thick with dust and dirt.