• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
A situation: A person has a large dog inside a fence. Every day neighbors let their dogs (4 small ones) out. Those 4 come barrel out and go right for the fence and harass the large dog, barking, snarling running up and down the fence even into the driveway. Owners of small dogs do nothing about it and thinks it's cute that they give large dog some exercise. Owner of large dog attempts to teach large dog to ignore small dogs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Large dog gets out unknown to owner, and wanders around and in front of small dogs house. Owners of small dogs lets them out not knowing large dog is out. One small dog gets bitten by large dog. Expensive vet bill follows. Owner of small dog suggests that owner of large dog place the large dog in a new home as a solution.

What do you think and what would you do?

shesgottasurf

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2007
What do you think and what would you do?[/QUOTE said:
Since you asked, I think it should (but probably won't) teach the owner of the small dogs that they should not be letting them out for sure without being on a leash for just this reason, among many others.

It should tell you that you may have a problem with your fence. Better fix the problem.
It's both owner's fault that the dog got bitten as they were both running around off leash.
And for them to suggest that you relocate yours is just silly.
That's all there is to it IMHO.

Owner of large dog suggests to owners of small dogs that leash law is not optional and they are equally responsible for the vet bill. Continued non compliance with leash law on small dog owners part should result in big owners dog acquiring a bib, bottle of ketchup and fence leave for the day. ;)

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Without knowing if large dog escapes frequently or if whether large dog would have bitten any dog it encountered, it's a little harder to offer an opinion; however, I suspect large dog felt like he was being attacked by a pack and defended itself. Would this had happened had the owners of the small dogs all been been on a lead and able to control the situation? probably not. If they were on leads, then large dog owner would be responsible for damages, IMHO.

John's spot on about dog owners getting a clue. If you have 4 dogs, small or not, you have a pack and are you the alpha dog and able to control it? Often, people with small dogs treat them differently than large dogs and they develop Small Dog Syndrome. It's probably one of the reasons the small dog owner thinks their small dogs harassing a big dog bordering their territory is "cute". Also, with 4 dogs, the owners probably haven't taken the time to properly socialize each dog individually to people and other dogs.

Fencing in your yard should be just to keep dogs safe from different elements off lead, but should still be supervised in the yard with the owner, IMO.

Small or large, regardless of breed, dogs require walks to satisfy their need to roam with a pack, and secondly, to release energy. Owner of large dog may be guilty of not doing this often enough due to time restraints, which is why the dog escaped or it's just a breed trait; Beagles are notoriously escape artists. (It could just be that large dog just knew the time the little dogs were going out front and decided to get even, and I wouldn't blame him or her. I would have been plotting my revenge, too. ;-))

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
some more: (okay, i'm the owner of said Large dog :wave:)
Large dog doesn't get out frequently. Actually, he doesn't get out, he just walks through an open gate. :lol: He doesn't run out like he's escaping either. He just moseys around and never goes more than a few yards away from home. But when he see these dogs and he's out, he reacts just like he does when he's in.... He charges them....just like they do to him. I don't know how to teach him to be the 'bigger dog' and ignore these pesky little guys. But I was totally mortified that i was asked to remove my dog from our home. Like, what's the other solution? Should we move away? :lol: This dog is my 3 yo's dog. He's been hers since she was born. She adores him and would be crushed if he was no longer here. That's another reason I try to keep mine from reacting....my kids are inside the fence with him. If one of them were to step in front of him while he's running the fence with these yappers, they could get hurt.

I'm at a loss. I really try not to have a lot of drama in my life, but this is ridiculous IMO.

BTW JohnR, I love your brief statement, but could you post again? Your post count is all 6's and for some reason, that scares me.:shock:

Last edited:

realtordanielle

Beach Lover
Dec 19, 2008
Owners of small dogs is more than equally responsible for the vet bill. They have let their dogs loose and endlessly harass the big dog. The owners of the small dogs need to get a wireless fence, regular fence, or learn to walk their dogs on a leash.

The owners of the large dog have been excessively harassed by the owners of the small dogs but should have never let their dog out to roam. Of course, sometimes, dogs do just
get out accidentally. Happens to me. I feel the owners of the large dog should pay for a small portion of the vet bill. Just as a neighborly courtesy with hopes of keeping things
calm.

The small dog owners need to get their dogs under control. I wouldn't respond to their letter but I would seek out the Animal Control if their dogs continue to run loose and harass the big dog. It's for their own safety and to maintain peace in the community.

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
That's another reason I try to keep mine from reacting....my kids are inside the fence with him. If one of them were to step in front of him while he's running the fence with these yappers, they could get hurt.

I was fortunate enough to have a close friend who is an excellent, experienced dog trainer give me tips on training, and one of the harder things to do is teach during distractions. I take my pup for a walk around my neighborhood frequently and there are two small, yappy dogs that run out to the edge of their property as we walk by. They are in an invisible fence, and I never see the owner with them outside. Right across the street is a lab who is out, too. He doesn't bark though, just paces the property when we walk by. I taught my pup to ignore them (and now any dog that I do not want him to approach without permission)

It will take some time and patience, but a few minutes every day will make a big difference. Get a 16 ft lead and go out with your dog in the yard with the kids. If he starts to run the fence, correct him then walk him over to the opposite side of the yard, make him sit, then give him a treat. Have your kids do the same with you. It's put them in an alpha position. Do this consistently. If you notice your dog is not running the fence, reward him still. This could be with a cool toy or treat. The point is you want him to associate not running the fence with great things. Eventually, the other dogs may stop running the fence too since yours is not reacting. This happened with the yappy dogs. They bark still from the house, but do not lunge at us when we walk by. When I do corrections, I just did a small pull on the collar twice. This let him know I did not like what he was doing. After a while, they get it and the command works. I would use leave it as a command and also use a hand signal to the other side of the yard or use a toy to redirect him to after you say leave it.

I actually trained my pup right there in front of their house to heel, sit. lay down, look at me while we are walking. Now we just walk right by and my pup doesn't even look over there. He will look at the lab because they played together, but when I want to move on, he doesn't whimper anymore.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I so appreciate the tips and opinions. I have to say, we don't let our dog out to roam. My husband was moving a sofa out and another one in so the gate was left open accidentally....his hands were full of sofa.
We were going to offer to pay half the bill but recieved this ridiculous 'solution' before we had the chance to do that. I have not replied to their written request to relocate our dog. I will let them simmer in their own stew and won't dignify the request with a response. yet. :wave:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
I so appreciate the tips and opinions. I have to say, we don't let our dog out to roam. My husband was moving a sofa out and another one in so the gate was left open accidentally....his hands were full of sofa.
We were going to offer to pay half the bill but recieved this ridiculous 'solution' before we had the chance to do that. I have not replied to their written request to relocate our dog. I will let them simmer in their own stew and won't dignify the request with a response. yet. :wave:

Possible Considerations:
1) If you feel, deep down, that the right thing is to contribute some portion to a vet bill... then do so. Write a check for whatever amount feels appropriate to you & memo'd "contribution in full" (don't bother asking or negotiating amts. or actions). If it gets cashed... case closed.
2) Is it possible to block big dog's sight line on that side of the fence? out of sight / out of mind?
3) Has there been ANY change in the small dogs activities since said skirmish?
4) Are the small dogs likely litigious?

Last edited: