• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Who thought it was a good idea to get rid of the dog fly plane? Did it occur to anyone that the years of spraying has brought us to the relative comfort we now enjoy? Maybe you don't want to learn from history, but there are those of us who have, and don't want to go through it again! Make decisions that effect your own life, not everyone else too! So, you use garlic to kill mosquitoes? Is that a viable solution? Or just a joke? There are consequences to these decisions! Or are you still living like a teenager thinking that mommy or daddy is going to bail you out?

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Who thought it was a good idea to get rid of the dog fly plane? Did it occur to anyone that the years of spraying has brought us to the relative comfort we now enjoy? Maybe you don't want to learn from history, but there are those of us who have, and don't want to go through it again! Make decisions that effect your own life, not everyone else too! So, you use garlic to kill mosquitoes? Is that a viable solution? Or just a joke? There are consequences to these decisions! Or are you still living like a teenager thinking that mommy or daddy is going to bail you out?

All I can share is my natural spray (mostly forms of citrus) works better than some of the nasty smelling stuff that you can by in a store. Don't knock it until you've tried it! :wave:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'd ask, Who's idea was it to spray us and our environment with poisons which kill small animals on contact, without even warning people that they were being sprayed. Two weeks ago, I watched a helicopter fly in circles around us at Pier Park, spraying poisons. There was no warning that I was going to be sprayed. Even cans of Off have warning labels, but they were spraying poisons which kill, not repel, and we received no warning. The same thing was happening in SoWal -- no warnings whatsoever. My two problems with the spraying are 1) I should have the choice to spray myself with insect repellent, not to be sprayed with poisons by our gov't. Sounds too much like Hitler's camps to me. 2) Spraying to kill all animals small as or smaller than a Stable (Dog) Fly on contact is having no respect for the hidden treasures which animals provide. There is much more to life than most care to look at.

I didn't start the end of the spraying, but I would be proud to stand up beside the caring people who did. :clap: If you don't like the Dog Flies on the few days when they come are blown down, wear clothes. Clothing will not keep the animals from dying or me from ingesting it, but you can certainly control them from landing on yourself.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
All I can share is my natural spray (mostly forms of citrus) works better than some of the nasty smelling stuff that you can by in a store. Don't knock it until you've tried it! :wave:
My Bug Juice also works better than DEET against Dog Flies.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I'd ask, Who's idea was it to spray us and our environment with poisons which kill small animals on contact, without even warning people that they were being sprayed. Two weeks ago, I watched a helicopter fly in circles around us at Pier Park, spraying poisons. There was no warning that I was going to be sprayed. Even cans of Off have warning labels, but they were spraying poisons which kill, not repel, and we received no warning. The same thing was happening in SoWal -- no warnings whatsoever. My two problems with the spraying are 1) I should have the choice to spray myself with insect repellent, not to be sprayed with poisons by our gov't. Sounds too much like Hitler's camps to me. 2) Spraying to kill all animals small as or smaller than a Stable (Dog) Fly on contact is having no respect for the hidden treasures which animals provide. There is much more to life than most care to look at.

I didn't start the end of the spraying, but I would be proud to stand up beside the caring people who did. :clap: If you don't like the Dog Flies on the few days when they come are blown down, wear clothes. Clothing will not keep the animals from dying or me from ingesting it, but you can certainly control them from landing on yourself.

I think comparing to Hitler is incredibly overdramatic! Actually, I was out on the bay a couple of weeks ago fishing and was attacked by dog flies. Much to hot to wear "protective" clothing. I also think that there should be some qualifications made before jumping to conclusions. Need to get the facts straight! A repellant is pointless concerning controlling these pests. The numbers have to be reduced. I haven't heard anyone come up with a better way, just criticizing the way we have. People speak without knowledge. Most folks I know would never have dreamed the BCC would have been such spineless jellyfish, and actually approved such nonsense!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think comparing to Hitler is incredibly overdramatic! Actually, I was out on the bay a couple of weeks ago fishing and was attacked by dog flies. Much to hot to wear "protective" clothing. I also think that there should be some qualifications made before jumping to conclusions. Need to get the facts straight! A repellant is pointless concerning controlling these pests. The numbers have to be reduced. I haven't heard anyone come up with a better way, just criticizing the way we have. People speak without knowledge. Most folks I know would never have dreamed the BCC would have been such spineless jellyfish, and actually approved such nonsense!

As an FYI, the State doesn't spray for Dog Flies over the Bay, and according to the people allowing the spraying, it is sprayed from an altitude of 150 ft, and kills only on contact, so it wouldn't be killing the Dog Flies hovering over your boat on the Bay.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Need to get the facts straight! A repellant is pointless concerning controlling these pests. The numbers have to be reduced. I haven't heard anyone come up with a better way, just criticizing the way we have. People speak without knowledge. Most folks I know would never have dreamed the BCC would have been such spineless jellyfish, and actually approved such nonsense!
You haven't been listening, if you have not heard that. The source of these Stable Flies is far north from hear and several vocal people have suggested that if the State is going to try and control the Stable (Dog) Fly population, they should do so at the source, rather than down here. Killing a few flies on the beach in one afternoon, doesn't do much for controlling the population of the Dog Flies.

You got one part right, "people speak without knowledge."

For the record, the BCC didn't approve anything regarding the Dog Flies. Get your facts straight. In fact, they took no action at giving the State the ability to fly at such a low altitude in a highly dense population. Two of the County Commissioners even cited that they didn't feel it was safe to have such a large airplane flying at such low heights.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Perhaps as a repellant, but does it kill mosquitos?

Ok. I'm going to bite. To me the point is these bugs are pests and I want to repell them from my being.

I think it is senseless killing them just because they are bothersome. (Yes some also carry things like West Nile -- one more reason to repell them.)

If something bothers me, I want it to go away - I don't want it dead.

Not to mention lots of great bugs, small animals etc are effected by the spray. If it kills a bad bug won't it kill a butterfly? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Here is a question for you. What if terrorists seized the plane, filled the spray tanks with something horrible like Ebola, and sprayed it all over the population of the Gulf Coast States? No one would think twice about it until they were spreading Ebola and eventually dieing.