Dog Fly Plane?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by florida girl, Sep 7, 2007.

1. florida girl

florida girl Beach Fanatic

Who thought it was a good idea to get rid of the dog fly plane? Did it occur to anyone that the years of spraying has brought us to the relative comfort we now enjoy? Maybe you don't want to learn from history, but there are those of us who have, and don't want to go through it again! Make decisions that effect your own life, not everyone else too! So, you use garlic to kill mosquitoes? Is that a viable solution? Or just a joke? There are consequences to these decisions! Or are you still living like a teenager thinking that mommy or daddy is going to bail you out?

2. savvytangerine

savvytangerine Beach Fanatic

All I can share is my natural spray (mostly forms of citrus) works better than some of the nasty smelling stuff that you can by in a store. Don't knock it until you've tried it! :wave:

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I'd ask, Who's idea was it to spray us and our environment with poisons which kill small animals on contact, without even warning people that they were being sprayed. Two weeks ago, I watched a helicopter fly in circles around us at Pier Park, spraying poisons. There was no warning that I was going to be sprayed. Even cans of Off have warning labels, but they were spraying poisons which kill, not repel, and we received no warning. The same thing was happening in SoWal -- no warnings whatsoever. My two problems with the spraying are 1) I should have the choice to spray myself with insect repellent, not to be sprayed with poisons by our gov't. Sounds too much like Hitler's camps to me. 2) Spraying to kill all animals small as or smaller than a Stable (Dog) Fly on contact is having no respect for the hidden treasures which animals provide. There is much more to life than most care to look at.

I didn't start the end of the spraying, but I would be proud to stand up beside the caring people who did. :clap: If you don't like the Dog Flies on the few days when they come are blown down, wear clothes. Clothing will not keep the animals from dying or me from ingesting it, but you can certainly control them from landing on yourself.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

My Bug Juice also works better than DEET against Dog Flies.

5. florida girl

Perhaps as a repellant, but does it kill mosquitos?

6. florida girl

I think comparing to Hitler is incredibly overdramatic! Actually, I was out on the bay a couple of weeks ago fishing and was attacked by dog flies. Much to hot to wear "protective" clothing. I also think that there should be some qualifications made before jumping to conclusions. Need to get the facts straight! A repellant is pointless concerning controlling these pests. The numbers have to be reduced. I haven't heard anyone come up with a better way, just criticizing the way we have. People speak without knowledge. Most folks I know would never have dreamed the BCC would have been such spineless jellyfish, and actually approved such nonsense!

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

As an FYI, the State doesn't spray for Dog Flies over the Bay, and according to the people allowing the spraying, it is sprayed from an altitude of 150 ft, and kills only on contact, so it wouldn't be killing the Dog Flies hovering over your boat on the Bay.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You haven't been listening, if you have not heard that. The source of these Stable Flies is far north from hear and several vocal people have suggested that if the State is going to try and control the Stable (Dog) Fly population, they should do so at the source, rather than down here. Killing a few flies on the beach in one afternoon, doesn't do much for controlling the population of the Dog Flies.

You got one part right, "people speak without knowledge."

For the record, the BCC didn't approve anything regarding the Dog Flies. Get your facts straight. In fact, they took no action at giving the State the ability to fly at such a low altitude in a highly dense population. Two of the County Commissioners even cited that they didn't feel it was safe to have such a large airplane flying at such low heights.

9. savvytangerine

Ok. I'm going to bite. To me the point is these bugs are pests and I want to repell them from my being.

I think it is senseless killing them just because they are bothersome. (Yes some also carry things like West Nile -- one more reason to repell them.)

If something bothers me, I want it to go away - I don't want it dead.

Not to mention lots of great bugs, small animals etc are effected by the spray. If it kills a bad bug won't it kill a butterfly? :dunno:

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Here is a question for you. What if terrorists seized the plane, filled the spray tanks with something horrible like Ebola, and sprayed it all over the population of the Gulf Coast States? No one would think twice about it until they were spreading Ebola and eventually dieing.

11. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Yes, it will kill butterflies and other bugs. But most pesticides are formulated differently than they were back in the DDT days. They are specific to critters with a specific central nervous system. What's bad for a bug with an exoskeleton won't (necessarily) build up in the system of a vertibrate mammal. Bayer has exceptional safe products.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Actually, according the scientists working for the State, the poison they use to spray the Dog (Stable) Flies is not "critter specific." It is a poison which is sprayed at doses designed to kill all insects similar in size to, or smaller than, the Dog Fly. I'm no scientist, but that is what they told us at a recent meeting. :dunno:

13. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

I wasn't clear. (Imagine that?:blush:) Very few are specific between bug species; the Bayer products that kill bugs are safe for humans and pets (mammals.)

14. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

organophosphate, Dibrom Naled, for dog flies. Organophosphates, which include naled,malathion and chlorpyrifos, are a highly toxic class of pesticides that affect the central nervous,cardiovascular and respiratory systems. Some organophosphates have been linked to birth defects and cancer.

According to all the research, Dibrom (naled) is an insecticide/pesticide with a toxicity equal to Chlordane, Dursban and Diazinon. These three pesticides have been taken off the market as being too hazardous to human health, and Dibrom is equally toxic in lab studies.

It has been proposed to spray it from a low-flying plane across our beaches
    which allows the droplets of pesticide to drift for miles and be inhaled deep
    into the lungs of unsuspecting sunbathers and homeowners, etc. Dibrom naled has been shown to kill foraging honeybees and migrating monarch butterflies.

15. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

It is appropriate that Dawn of the Dead is on cable every few hours now;this horse just will not stay dead without a good beating.;-)

16. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

:D she started it!

Oh......I thought we were all supposed to be more tolerant......so I'll tolerate the dog flies. Spritz a little skin so soft on and they don't bite me.:dunno:

17. savvytangerine

:clap: :D Repel those bugs BB!

Thanks all for the info everyone. I know a little on this subject -- just not enough to voice some of the very important "why"s. All I know is most things can be repelled with little or no harm to anything - good or bad.

I'm not sure why it is important to some to kill vs repel...? I'm sure I will be enlightened by FLgirl sometime tomorrow. :roll:

18. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Dog flies are a little annoying. I have been shooting photos on the beach with a couple of dozen on me gnawing. I don't find it that hard to ignore them. They leave no welts, sores, or itchy spots like some other biting insects. The idea of spraying the beaches from a plane seems like overkill. It would be interesting to take a vote from every tourist crossing the bridge and see which they would prefer if given an honest choice.

19. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I for one, think it was a good idea. Having raised 2 children that have been exposed to the poisons each fall for all of their lives, I am very concerned with the fact that they have done absolutely no studies on the long term effects of this spraying on humans. I just hope that my kids or grandkids arent the case studies for what this spraying will do to you. And it would only take that HUGE @$$ plane to fall on a few beach-goers for people to realize that killing a few of these flies that get blown down here every fall isnt worth the risks that others are taking with our lives.

20. florida girl

You know, I think the primary problem is a perception of local governing entities. If you come from a large city, apparently you are accustomed to corrupt hierarchy and no one ever listening to the common citizen. Apparently, the only way to be heard there is to create a lot of commotion! The problem occurs when those individuals move to a small town. Our hierarchy is our neighbor. Private citizen?s are heard, a lot of commotion is not necessary. The citizens comments are taken seriously. When the city antics are used in a small town, it overloads the system. The local governing body expects the citizen?s comments to be valid particularly when accompanied by a lot of commotion! You need to make sure your accusations are researched and correct! I know the dog fly breeds elsewhere, and the wind carries them here! I ?happened? to be on the bay at the time I experienced them! Did it ever occur to you that the reason we don?t see to many dog flies is because there has been a systematic cull for a lot of years? That with the drought conditions the past 2 years? The poisons that have been sprayed have been researched as much as possible by scientists! Is there any evidence of random poisoning of any other creature including humans? I haven?t heard of anyone being poisoned, in fact, even Pat Patterson lived to be 105 in Grayton Beach! According to the article in the DeFuniak Herald, the BCC discontinued the dog fly program completely! Not just not allowing a new plane! Did it occur to anyone what would happen with a complete discontinuance, not a slower withdrawal? Was that investigated? No, just a ?Hitler? conspiracy? Is your neighbor ?Hitler??