• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Nights are cool and lovely here. I almost opened my windows last night, then I heard the wee-waw wee-waw sound.:angry: So much for hearing the outside noises- I didn't want that stinky crazy sheet in my house.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
Florida Girl - I'm glad you give your opinion because most everyone else seems to be against what you say. Even if i don't agree with you myself.

Mosquito spraying is one thing, although there may be better ways. But spraying for dog flies is not necessary and is only the TDC trying to cover up nature to please visitors.

Guess what yall? We also have gators, poisonous snakes, sharks, jellyfish, red tide, scorpions, black widows, brown recluse, love bugs, sandspurs, stinging nettle, sinkholes, high taxes, unreliable or unavailable insurance . . .
can we get some all purpose spray and get rid of them too?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
We also have gators, poisonous snakes, sharks, jellyfish, red tide, scorpions, black widows, brown recluse, love bugs, sandspurs, stinging nettle, sinkholes, high taxes, unreliable or unavailable insurance . . .
can we get some all purpose spray and get rid of them too?
:clap: Well stated. I will add, dangerous drivers.

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Isn't it too windy to spray anyway? Even if the dog fly plane was still allowed, the past few days would not have be an option as the winds have been too strong.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Just an observation--the love bugs are REALLY bad this year--I don't remember them being this bad. Obviously the dog fly spray would take out of few billion love bugs too.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Well, I suppose I'm with Florida Girl on this one. I remember stories my father and his siblings would tell about how, as children in the 1920's, they would wait as long as possible before running from the house to the outhouse (or anywhere else) during dogfly season, as they would be absolutely covered in a black swarm the moment they stepped out. It was miserable.

They would end these stories with "Thank God they now spray."

I wasn't a fan of the airplane, as you never knew when it would fly over, but I am all for mosquito control spraying. You can hear it far enough away to take cover until the cloud dissipates. It doesn't take care of all the flying pests, but at least it has made it manageable where a little repellent normally does the trick.

Poison? Yes. I also put poison on fire ant beds and gasoline down yellow jacket nests, and I assume most people do the same to protect their families. What is the difference, assuming you are not breathing the spray? :dunno:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Oh, and I saw NO lovebugs this year until last Saturday, while bringing my new vehicle home from Panama City. I think y'all can thank me for bringing them on. :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Well, I suppose I'm with Florida Girl on this one. I remember stories my father and his siblings would tell about how, as children in the 1920's, they would wait as long as possible before running from the house to the outhouse (or anywhere else) during dogfly season, as they would be absolutely covered in a black swarm the moment they stepped out. It was miserable.

They would end these stories with "Thank God they now spray."

I wasn't a fan of the airplane, as you never knew when it would fly over, but I am all for mosquito control spraying. You can hear it far enough away to take cover until the cloud dissipates. It doesn't take care of all the flying pests, but at least it has made it manageable where a little repellent normally does the trick.

Poison? Yes. I also put poison on fire ant beds and gasoline down yellow jacket nests, and I assume most people do the same to protect their families. What is the difference, assuming you are not breathing the spray? :dunno:

Thank the plumbers for indoor toilets. I think the praise was given to the wrong group of people. ;-) The true name of the Dog Fly is the Stable Fly. They lay their eggs and make their home in and around poop.

Why are you scared enough of the repellents to want to use "just a little bit," but are not afraid of poisons which actually kill animals? Don't you think the poisons which kill animals are a greater concern to our health than the chemicals which only repel them?
How could you assume that you are not breathing in the spray? :dunno:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Thank the plumbers for indoor toilets. I think the praise was given to the wrong group of people. ;-) The true name of the Dog Fly is the Stable Fly. They lay their eggs and make their home in and around poop.

Why are you scared enough of the repellents to want to use "just a little bit," but are not afraid of poisons which actually kill animals? Don't you think the poisons which kill animals are a greater concern to our health than the chemicals which only repel them?
How could you assume that you are not breathing in the spray? :dunno:

Probably explains why the outhouse was a popular place for flies to hang out. :lol:

I'm not scared of repellent. However, before spraying, our flies would laugh at Deep Woods Off, citronella, and anything else we could think of to coat ourselves with. (Now, imagine little sinister Halloween laughs whenever you see a dog fly. Then say "Wipeout" when you whack 'em with the fly swatter. :D )

And, I assume that I am not breathing it because I do not go outside while the spray is in the air. The possible exception might be smelling a flower that spray has fallen on. But I still take comfort in knowing a fly won't fly up my nose while smelling the spray on the flower. :roll:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
SJ, you can really get over the top! I have to say that on occasion I do enjoy running around the house after an occasional fly that meandered in crying, "Die! Die!"!!!:rotfl: