Dog Fly Plane?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by florida girl, Sep 7, 2007.

1. tuck

tuck Beach Lover

I do not use a repellent either. You have a choice to to use on though if you so wish. You claim skin so soft works well for you, so use it.

Don't be to sure that your the only local or old timer on this board, some of us have just as many memories and stories.

2. fisher

fisher Beach Fanatic

3. beachbob

beachbob Beach Comber

You are right. That smiling joe is an idiot, roping off the yard so that the yellow jackets are fenced in. :funn:

4. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Smiley J-Spraying has been proven to bring extinct species back from the ether of oblivion. Case in point, Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. You don't see any of them at your new pad, do you?;-)

5. florida girl

florida girl Beach Fanatic

In any court, eyewitness testimony, and physical evidence are vital. Yet, if that is not believed, what can be done? In this particular situation, there is both, and there is room to improve the methods of control. Yet, you have not come up with a better method of control, and you have decided to not accept eyewitness testimony, or the data compiled by the state program. How can a viable discussion be held?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  6. fisher

fisher Beach Fanatic

????????:dunno:???????

What in the world are you talking about?

7. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

Be nice! :nono1: I think he meant that he was roping it off so he and his dogs weren't as likely to wander into them.

Has SJ been eaten by his yellow jacket friends? :dunno:

8. florida girl

We have stated that life was unbearable before the Mosquito/Dog Fly programs began, that much research has been done to aid in controlling these pests and others, yet none of that is acknowledged by certain individuals, as though our testimony is not valid somehow.

9. fisher

fisher Beach Fanatic

I do not doubt that you hate dog flies and that there were times in your past that the pests were overwhelming to you. However, I'm not sure what research you are referring to.

Many municipalities dump poisons in the air and water in the name of short term control of pests without seriously considering the long term effects of such poisons on the environment or on us humans. However, more and more muncipalities are getting smart and avoiding spraying chemicals, adding fluoride to the water supply, etc. Hopefully, Walton County will stay smart.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Dibrom and most other insecticides are proven to be dangerous. Dog fly guy flat out said this stuff is nasty. He believes that the amounts released are too minute to do any real damage but isn't certain of the long term effects of the stuff. If the minute amounts can kill dog flies, bees and lots of other insects, I believe that it can't be good for humans or other larger animals to be exposed to the stuff.

You seem to believe that you are the final arbiter of truth here.

I am not so certain of my position. I'm not positive that this stuff will harm me, my pets, my kids, etc. However, I don't want to find out. I would rather deal with the pests including roaches, dog flies, mosquitoes, etc etc than the manmade nasty chemicals. I am ecstatic that the dibrom in no longer being dispersed in Walton county by the dog fly plane. This gives us both a choice now. You can slather yourself with repellent to avoid the dog flies. I can go "au natural" and deal with the flies. I did not have a choice when the plane was buzzing overhead on a nearly daily basis to avoid this chemical onslaught. Personal choice is now available to both of us--this wasn't the case in the past.

10. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

GODDAMMIT FLORIDA GIRL, QUIT WHINING!!!:bang::wave::wave:

11. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

edit that post, now! :nono1: Try...FTLOG!

I had to edit first!

12. florida girl

If you don't like it, why are you reading it?

13. ameliaj

ameliaj Beach Fanatic

Whoa, the flies must be bad today. They seems to be making everyone a tad bit grumpity.

14. florida girl

I went to the Mosquito Control meeting Tuesday, and do you know that although the plane sprays Okaloosa County, skips Walton County, picks back up in Bay County, we still pay taxes for the service on our tax bill?

15. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thanks for the update. Please get on that and have them remove it from my bill. :wave:

16. Beachbummett

Beachbummett SoWal Insider

Ours too please! :wave:

17. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I vote we have an independent accountant audit the county - their payoff is that they get to keep .001% of the money they save us!