Dogs on the Beach in Fort Walton Beach

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Scooter, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Anyone know the laws for dogs on the beach in Ft. Walton?

2. leslie@Treetop

leslie@Treetop Beach Crab

Wondering the same

I was wondering the same about dogs on 30-A beaches. I always see them out there, but I thought it was not allowed. Anyone know?

3. Scooter

Scooter Beach Fanatic

Only dogs with permits are allowed on Walton county beaches before 8:00 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m. You must be a resident to obtain a permit.

4. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

Dogs are not allowed on the beaches in Okaloosa County.

5. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

I'd love to take my dog to the beach, but I know that she'd $h1T on the beach, and somebody'd expect me to pick it up.....and that ain't happening. So, my dog stays home, inside, and neurotic, because she can't become one with the sand without doing number 2 (especially after a vigorous workout with "the ball", and she knows the crazy dude ain't picking up Special K (kaka). Funny how that works..... So, she suffers, and gets fatter by the day.

6. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

Dogs used to run free in South Walton, but you know, there are just too many people these days and the oil spill has certainly added another logistics problem. Many people are good owners and control their pet. I am continually shocked at the irresponsible owners that let their dogs harass other beach visitors and wildlife. If doggy patrol parked at the Eastern Lake access between 7 and 8:30 a.m. most days they could give out tickets for dogs not on a leash. There are about four big dogs that run wild for about an hour every day, much to the duress of the local birds. Lets be reasonable. This is probably not a good time to let your dogs run loose or even be on the beach. There is that occasional tar ball, and your dog is probably okay with running through it and then tracking it across the access, much less into your house or rental. It is a hard enough time for the local birds to be feeding on the beach and outfalls without being harrassed by dogs not on a leash. I would not take my dog to the beach right now, leash or no leash. It is a lot harder to get tar balls out of furry animals than bare feet.

7. Yzarctoo

Yzarctoo Beach Fanatic

8. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Kaka is the reason I've never been real keen on our dogs having a beach tag. Actually, I would not hesitate to pick it up with a baggie (gotta do that before we go to the vet anyway), it's the thought of sand-skiing across the beach, being pulled by a 100-lb lab that worries me. She would love it, but what she doesn't know about won't hurt her. :cool:

However...my primary issue with dogs off-leash on the beach centers around the time I was enjoying a day on the beach, face-down in a lounge chair, only to feel a wet nose jam itself in my cash-and-prizes and then the unmistakable feeling of getting peed on...:shock:

9. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Property owners may also buy beach permits for their dogs.

Our Pepper (black standard poodle) loves the beach. We put her on a long leash, and she loves running back and forth at the shoreline. She expects everyone who passes by to tell her how pretty she is, and if they don't, she barks at them.

She knows the word "beach," and when we're there, she runs to her leash when we say that word. :wub:

She has never gone potty on the beach. She waits until she gets back to the fenced-in area at the house.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  10. ktschris

ktschris Beach Fanatic

Thank you!!! This made me laugh out loud!

11. lgauthreaux

lgauthreaux Beach Comber

Me too!!! I have tears running down my face, I laughed so hard.

12. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

:lolabove: SN that has to be one of the flat out funniest terms I've never had the hysterical joy of hearing before!!! Thk U Thk U! Made my day!

13. JustBeachy

JustBeachy Beach Lover

:lolabove: oh my, funniest thing I've read today. All the more funny, because it's true...

14. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I would definitely watch a dog on the beach very closely. I wouldn't be surprised to see one gobble down a tarball in a heart beat. Nothing like an emergency trip to the vet, at least BP might cover it for you.

15. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

That's probably true, especially if in a dog's mind, tarball on sand = cat poop in litter box. :roll:

16. DuneAHH

DuneAHH Beach Fanatic

Jiminy cat poop you're cracking me up gull!

17. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

In Bay County, it seems the beach area west of the new City Pier @ Pier Park is dog friendly. We were out on the pier over the 4th late one morning and were surprised to see 20+ dogs enjoying the beach with their owners. I'm glad there's a designated place for them to romp.

18. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

No, like most other neighborhood dogs, she poops in the DOT drainage ditch! It helps the grass grow (organic fertilizer), and doesn't infringe on the human populace. :roll:

19. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

But any number of the drainage ditches wash into the Bay, leading to unacceptably high levels of fecal bacteria in many common swimming areas. It's actually far more of a health hazard to swim along a good chunk of the south shore of Choctawhatchee Bay right now than it is the Gulf because of those high bacteria levels.

20. John R

John R needs to get out more

Please pick up after your dog. I'm sure your dog is smart enough to only go in the drainage ditches, and not the street, or you neighbor's yards. Fecal matter of meat eaters is not a natural fertilizer, and if in the ditch, will eventually make it's way to the bay, very nice. It will contaminate the water which people fish from and recreate in with coliform bacteria, and more. Possibly a change in practice with regards to your dog's dirt is in order.