• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
back to the subject of dogs on the beach...

One thing that leaves me scratching my head is that dogs on the beach are illegal, no allowances of any kind, in both of our neighboring counties, yet nobody complains! Meanwhile, WE try to make a change, and all hail breaks loose. Why?? :dunno:

everyone thinks they gotta have what they want and now. and it better be as good or better than the next person. I don't know!:wave:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I walk the beach often and always in bare feet and have lived here for 10 years. I can't begin to tell you how many loads I encounter that are not cleaned up. And yes, the dogs running free bother me as well because they are NOT in control by their owners. I have been attacked once while carrying a small umbrella and jumped on a few times. I should not have to put up with that, no one should. I have a dog myself who will never get to the beach because I am one of those locals that does not believe a dog MUST be on the beach. It's always the case that a few folks ruin it for everyone but I am afraid most of the people that let their dog on the beach DO NOT follow the rules and there is a leash law in this county too which is never enforced so people do what they want. The liability should be enough to scare our county officials and one of these days someone will get hurt and then and only then will they pass an ordinance not allowing dogs on the beach. But then again, our county does NOT enforce anything and most of the ordinances are a joke and everyone knows that. Of course they will say now they have had to make cut backs and don't have enough people to issue tickets but it has always been that way!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I walk the beach often and always in bare feet and have lived here for 10 years. I can't begin to tell you how many loads I encounter that are not cleaned up. And yes, the dogs running free bother me as well because they are NOT in control by their owners. I have been attacked once while carrying a small umbrella and jumped on a few times. I should not have to put up with that, no one should. I have a dog myself who will never get to the beach because I am one of those locals that does not believe a dog MUST be on the beach. It's always the case that a few folks ruin it for everyone but I am afraid most of the people that let their dog on the beach DO NOT follow the rules and there is a leash law in this county too which is never enforced so people do what they want. The liability should be enough to scare our county officials and one of these days someone will get hurt and then and only then will they pass an ordinance not allowing dogs on the beach. But then again, our county does NOT enforce anything and most of the ordinances are a joke and everyone knows that. Of course they will say now they have had to make cut backs and don't have enough people to issue tickets but it has always been that way!

all very good points!

but I do know lots of folks who have been stopped and/or ticketed due to having a dog without a permit and off leash - including myself a while back. they normally issue a warning - which I appreciated. but then I too stopped taking my dog to the beach - and I do believe she has a right to run and enjoy the beach - she does not leave anything but her footprints, unlike many humans who leave behind all manner of trash far worse for the environment than dog poo (not that owners should leave it on the beach! I know many do). but its just not worth the trouble - what lab wants to be on a leash on the beach? and I know some people are very scared of big dogs and when giant lab is running in their direction, their hearts full of joy, but still the poor person has no choice but to hit the dirt. not good. I had a giant chocolate lab who scared the crap out of lots of people. I didn't understand it at the time - but it was because she was so big and so full of joy - she was mistaken for being aggressive. so, maybe dogs should not be on the beach. unless you have a small dog who doesn't mind sitting next to you on a leash - I know there are leash laws - but we never had to worry about that until recent years... :D oh well... sometimes we gotta get civilized.

best to keep the dog home. too bad. it used to be so different. so easy. we could always find a secluded part of the beach to play and big funn with lots of running and fetching - and you can do that now if you try. but it is harder and harder to find that perfect out of the way stretch with no one around. and I refuse to let a dog park take the place of real romping. with my next dog we'll just have to go further out and find a place in the big wide outdoors and do whatever we please.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am sure that if I was a dog I would love to play on the beach/in the water, but too many bad owners have ruined it for their dogs.

Used to be that you could walk down the beach and maybe meet some friendly dogs on the way - now you will get jumped on, have to watch where you are walking, and must play defense to keep smaller/more fragile people safe.

And there is nothing like watching a glorious sunset at the beach ................ and having a large dog walk up and take a huge dump in silhouette. :angry:

loobylu

Beach Comber
Mar 7, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm a new owner in So. Walton, and a responsible pet owner. I plan on getting a permit for my dog before we go down for our first vacation as owners. I know there are some off leash parks in the area. Which ones are good? (i.e. plenty of shade, fresh water, clean...)

Also, has it ever been proposed to have an off-leash dog park, perhaps limited to certain hours of the day, that is on the beach - maybe a small section of a public beach?? It could be policed better (if limited to 1 or 2 areas), have pick-up bags available as reminders, and also be a welcoming place for our pooches (and other responsible dog owners) to meet each other and play in the sand and surf. Then those who don't want to encounter dogs, could avoid that area. It might also be a place that our vacation renters would be permitted to bring their dogs who accompany them on vacation (we definitely want people coming back - although, I guess most rentals are "no pets").

Unfortunately, I agree with many of you that many people can be rude, and irresponsible with their pets...I certainly don't want to see dog poop at my beach, and I don't want my dog to frolic around unvaccinated, aggressive, or un-fixed dogs. It's a "sticky" subject.

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
I miss walking with Badger Breaux. Badger would be at my door at the duplex I stayed in every morning and we'd go take a walk on the beach. I believe he lived in Grayton Trail. I miss him!:love: