• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
And you certainly don't have to have a permit to bring your dogs on vacation with you. You only have to have the permit to take them on the beach.

You can take them to Choctawhatchee Bay for swimming without a permit, though I'd be wary of letting them off leash if you go to the bay at Hwy 331. We also have a bark park on J. D. Miller Rd where your dogs can play and socialize off leash.

Certainly your dog would have fun on the beach, but they won't miss it if they don't know about it. Your pet will be happy just being with you.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
Just do with you want with your dog. Get a ticket. Hire Matt Gaetz to fight it. A year later cash your check. Another unconstitutional law that the BCC is aware of.

really don't get the unconstitutional part. it's unconstitutional to have people control their animals so that other people and animals don't get hurt or killed. yeah, i get it.

actually, i am sick and tired of people who let their dogs run loose,on or off the beach. they are a nuisance..i don't blame the animals, just their owners. and another joy about pet owners are those who let their dogs defecate on the beach or along 30a. just true ignorance. eventually, no one will be able to bring their dog on the beach because of the people who refuse to obey the rules.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
really don't get the unconstitutional part. it's unconstitutional to have people control their animals so that other people and animals don't get hurt or killed. yeah, i get it.

actually, i am sick and tired of people who let their dogs run loose,on or off the beach. they are a nuisance..i don't blame the animals, just their owners. and another joy about pet owners are those who let their dogs defecate on the beach or along 30a. just true ignorance. eventually, no one will be able to bring their dog on the beach because of the people who refuse to obey the rules.

I think what he is saying is, that it is unconstitutional to allow one group of people, property owners, a priviledge that you don't give to another group. Wrobert, jump in if I am mistaken, I am not trying to speak for you. But the other argument is that we give property owners a potential priviledge, homestead, that we don't give another. I think I might have raised more questions than answered, sorry.

LOCAL 32550

Banned
Aug 13, 2009
Well I walk the beach every evening with my 2 dogs. I have a chow chow and a Euraiser they are well behaved. They are always on a leash. I've had people with there dogs off leash come running towards us. In my walk I walk past Majestic Sun
I see many dogs walking the beach who I know do not have permits. I do tell them they need a permit and please pick up after your dog. I pay for my 2 permits every year and I don't think it is right that many people do not have permits. I do see the Officer on the beach once in a while but you know what it is always way after sunset when the beach is dark and empty. They need to patrol when there are people out there.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Just do with you want with your dog. Get a ticket. Hire Matt Gaetz to fight it. A year later cash your check. Another unconstitutional law that the BCC is aware of.

There are any number of legal precedents for local and state governments being allowed to treat different groups differently as long as they aren't trying to screw a legally protected class. Take college tuition- perfectly legal to set different tuition rates for state residents and students from out of state. Perfectly legal to limit certain types of elections to voters who who are both registered voters and property owners in a certain area. (That was required when we formed a MSBU for my area) And perfectly legal to have an entire beach limited to residents of a particular municipality. It happens in a fair number of other locations.

Special rights for property owners when it comes to dogs or trucks on the beach is perfectly consistent with a whole boatload of case law on that issue.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think what he is saying is, that it is unconstitutional to allow one group of people, property owners, a priviledge that you don't give to another group. Wrobert, jump in if I am mistaken, I am not trying to speak for you. But the other argument is that we give property owners a potential priviledge, homestead, that we don't give another. I think I might have raised more questions than answered, sorry.

bottom line is that this is just one of the many things that becomes necessary after having so many folks move here and visit here. its called "progress" but it doesn't really seem like progress sometimes. when dogs became illegal on the beach - it was a heck of a county commission meeting with tons of folks attending. mostly locals who didn't want to give up beach rights for their dogs. we were very used to being able to take our dogs out at any time, on or off leash - depending on the dog - some dogs took themselves to the beach every day as part of their routine - we knew and loved them all - just seemed like a big change to take this way of life (for dogs and residents) away . but, it is a necessary change - I hate to admit. too many families on the beaches. too many people with dogs. too many people not responsible dog owners. too many people (visitors) who don't like sharing the beach with dogs. etc etc etc. Beaches throughout the state of Florida had long ago instituted similar laws regarding pets on beaches - to protect beach goers - and it was just our turn to do the same (it was heartbreaking for locals). there are still some remote beaches throughout the state where you can actually go and take your dog, build a bonfire, and relax all day and for as late in the night as you wish - all without a permit and within the law. we do seek those beaches frequently. I am not telling where they are.:D look what happened to sowal beaches!

Last edited:

Jesus

Beach Lover
And please remember to have your pets spayed or neutered.

Chip and Dale

Beach Lover
Jun 7, 2006
WaterColor
Do what you will with the eggs, but...

Every sperm is sacred,
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
back to the subject of dogs on the beach...

One thing that leaves me scratching my head is that dogs on the beach are illegal, no allowances of any kind, in both of our neighboring counties, yet nobody complains! Meanwhile, WE try to make a change, and all hail breaks loose. Why?? :dunno: