• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
This week's Beach Breeze has notices about community meetings on two
projects in Seagrove (page 14-C Thursday, May 25, 2006).

The Endless Summer
June 12, 2006 5:30 at TDC
"The project will be a residential subdivision comprised of 5 lots
with a total acreage of approximately 1.10 acres located
approximately .30 miles to the west of the intersection of CR-395 and
CR-30-A. Subject property is located on the south side of CR-30A. "

Summer Place
June 12, 2006 6:30 at TDC
"The project will be a residential subdivision comprised of four lots
with a total acreage of approximately .54 acres located along
CR-30-A; approximately 660 feet west of the intersection of CR-395
and CR-30-A across from Hickory Street. Subject property is located
on the south side."

These are both located on the south side of 30-A, i.e. on the beach bluff.

So, David, I guess you're talking about the lot that his pool and parking area occupies and the empty lot that used to say "Seacrest Guests" and now says "Harris Family and Guests Only"?

Maybe you have the influence to fight this, but I learned long ago that I don't. Money is power. From what I've seen on many occasions, local government officials tend to let people with boatloads of money do whatever they want. They'll allow him to load up his two lots at the cost of the character of the neighborhood. It's not like he needs the money (or maybe his taxes were more than expected and he does?).

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Funny that I've heard the name Doodle Harris twice in one day, and both times the reference to his name makes me want to barf. :puke:

Thanks to the shenanigans of Doodle and his "Big Canoe, Inc." corporation several years ago, we just lost a public beach access in Seagrove. As far as I know, the five foot easement to the west of Sugar Cliffs property was a publically dedicated beach access since at least the early-mid 90's. The County maintained the access, even rebuilt it after Ivan (or whatever the hurricane was around that time that took out many of the walkovers). It was a well-travelled public access. A few years ago the private homeowners in Sugar Cliffs sued (Case Number 01CA000478, Sugar Cliffs Owners Assoc. vs. Walton County) stating that the easement on which the walkover was built was never properly recorded. Thanks to Doodle not following the statutory procedure for dedication of the easement back in the 90's, the courts have turned the land and the walkover over to Sugar Cliffs. Howard Carr was somehow involved in the supposed deal, but I'm not clear as to his involvement. I do know that Howard Carr was a defendant in this case, as was the Cassine Owner's Associations. Cassine had an interest in keeping the walkover public, as it is directly across the street.

BR is so right - local government officials DO let people with boatloads of money do whatever they want. In this case, they've permanently taken away a public beach access and handed it on a silver platter to the rich. Sure hope this doesn't catch on. Money talks.

As far as Doodle's two new proposed developments go, I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's behind about the effects on the "character" of the neighborhood as long as it lines his pockets. :bang: :bang:

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
The same thing is happening in Blue Mountain Beach. The beachfront single-family home site once owned by the Cawthon family on Blue Mountain Road is now for sale by B.J. Development, LLC as a development opportunity. The Blu' Biscayne. Their sign says the property allows up to three residential units. Ms. Cawthon sold her home after the county inappropriatly allowed a lot split on the property adjacent to her home on the east, next to the Blue Mountain Beach highway 83 beach access. That site double in density to 4 single-family homes, which did not fit within the allowed setbacks.

And where is the Coastal High Hazard area? Is it not on the beach? How can we be increasing density in the most susceptible area we have? When all this new density on the coast is damaged by storms who pays in the way of higher insurance bills?

But the county says because of the changes made in 1996 to the Future Land Use Map (FLUM) this single beach front lot with a single structure can now have three structures. This is because the designation of the site was changed to Infill, which allows up to 6 units per acre, in 1996.

Of course all of these changes, all this increased density, alters the look and feel of our communities. They change where we live but the powers that be keep approving the changes. The increased density also impacts stormwater management issues, traffic on our roads and parking. The increased density impacts hurricane evacuation times. But the county keeps allowing developers to increase density.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Richard said:
And where is the Coastal High Hazard area? Is it not on the beach? How can we be increasing density in the most susceptible area we have? When all this new density on the coast is damaged by storms who pays in the way of higher insurance bills?

I hope people who come to the meetings make this point. Loudly.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Please note that the signs on his lots say that the planning meeting is on June 8th, and the BCC meeting is on the 12th. I think both meetings are at the Courthouse Annex. So it's important that people attend the meeting on the 8th. As a previous poster said, if the zoning is changed, we're one step closer to having condos instead of homes along the beachfront in Old Seagrove. This would completely change the character of the area.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Beach Runner said:
So, David, I guess you're talking about the lot that his pool and parking area occupies and the empty lot that used to say "Seacrest Guests" and now says "Harris Family and Guests Only"?

It's also the lots on the beach between Seaside and Seagrove. He owns the empty lots there and the first small white house in Seagrove.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SGB said:
Please note that the signs on his lots say that the planning meeting is on June 8th, and the BCC meeting is on the 12th. I think both meetings are at the Courthouse Annex. So it's important that people attend the meeting on the 8th. As a previous poster said, if the zoning is changed, we're one step closer to having condos instead of homes along the beachfront in Old Seagrove. This would completely change the character of the area.
I guess it the condos will fit right in with the new "Downtown Seagrove." :bang:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Sounds like we need some new county commissioners who aren't in the developers pockets. Can anyone name a delevopement that's not been allowed. But we'll attend to annouce our displeasure of any zoning changes.