• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Porkchop

Beach Comber
Nov 16, 2010
Blue Mountain Beach
I have a few questions regarding public use that I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable residents can help to educate me on:

What is the legal status of Draper Lake? Is it county property or is it private?

If it is county property, is there a right of way or easement to provide the public with access to the lake (say for launching a kayak, etc.)?

I'm of the understanding that, in Florida, public waters which are surrounded by private property must, by law, have an easement which connects the body of water to a public thoroughfare in order to allow reasonable public access to the waters for the purposes of navigation, commerce, and recreation. Aside from entering Draper lake at the point where it connects to the Gulf, I'm unaware of any other access point.

Basically, if it's public water, I would like to be able to kayak there, but I don't know of any access point other than from the Gulf, or dragging my kayak across private property beach—neither of which seem like reasonable and meaningful access.

treymerrill

Beach Comber
Nov 13, 2011
Alexandria, VA
I am curious about this as well. Draper Lake is a beautiful subdivision, and I'm not sure if there are public entrances for the trails or if they are reserved for owners? A public lake access, if there isn't one at Draper Lake, would be a great feature along 30A. Maybe a park on that large parcel that sold a few years ago!

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I'm sure owners say it's private.

Can you say "customary use'. For sure.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just east of the bridge is a public pavilion for viewing. I don't know if it's county or TDC maintained, but could probably be developed to include water access.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Just east of the bridge is a public pavilion for viewing. I don't know if it's county or TDC maintained, but could probably be developed to include water access.

If you are talking about the tower east of the bridge in Draper Lake, it's not public. It has a key code lock on the gate that is the same on their pools.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
If you are talking about the tower east of the bridge in Draper Lake, it's not public. It has a key code lock on the gate that is the same on their pools.
Nice, Realtor code for check your most recent code / access form...

Sounds like a DBPR complaint.

Have you no shame?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

My bad, the overlook I'm talking about is on Redfish.