• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ciclismo

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
This morning at 6:30am I was riding my bike with three friends down 30-a heading west. There were absolutely no cars on the road and we were passing through WaterSound where they have the medians in the middle of the road. A mid-sized pick-up truck honked and then violently swerved around us passing us very closely.

My friend gestured for the driver to come back and talk with us. There was no reason for his aggression so early in the morning. The driver of the metallic orange pickup truck hit his breaks and pulled a black handgun out of his drivers side window and started waving it at us. He then sped away.

I immediately called 911 and we met with two very nice Walton County Police Officers and filed a complaint. The officers were very nice and took the situation very serious and said they have all officers in the area looking for the car.

If anyone sees a mid-sized metallic orange pickup truck with a male driver, please notify the police.

In all of my years riding I have been yelled at, honked at, spit at, had things thrown at me, been run off the road into a ditch, been intentionally hit with a car's mirror, had a Harley sneak up on me and rev his engine to scare me and then laugh at me, two weeks ago had a driver laugh and cheer when we had a cyclist crash...but I have NEVER EVER had a gun pulled on me for riding a bicycle on a Sunday morning.

I am from the west coast and stilll learning about Southern culture...I am still trying to figure out this whole aggression thing towards cyclists...but I am sure this was not a friendly southern gesture.

I could be wrong...maybe it was his way of cheering in awe as he witnessed a life changing athletic performance by some local cyclists. Or maybe it was his way of showing support for our cyclist in Bejing and his reaction at Sammy Sanchez from Spain winning Olympic Gold in the Men's Cycling Road Race yesterday over Americans Levi Leipheimer, George Hincape and Christian Vandevelde! Maybe he was saying, "I am with you brother and I solute you and your athletic acheivements on this beautiful Sunday morning...ride safe and I will lead the way!"

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
That is terrible! This makes me sad. I am glad to see you at least have a sense of humor about it. I think it was because of your athletic acheivements on a beautiful Sunday morning. :D I assure you it was not a southern gesture.

Did you get the tag number? I will be sure and keep an eye out for him today.

Oh! :welcome: to 30-A!

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Sorry about your misfortune. No matter what you folks might have been doing, there is never a reason to pull out a gun.
Some people do get tired of the cyclist who acts more entitled than they should be. I do get tired of the cyclist who has a three foot wide path alongside the driving lane who won't use that lane. They either peddle right on the white line or they actually peddle in the driving lane. I understand that you have little choice when the bike path isn't there, but to stay in traffic when there is room elsewhere is inexcusable.
We personally slow down and wait until we can move around them and just leave you folks be, it's not that big of a deal.

It goes both ways as far as car traffic too. I get very frustrated when the above situation is coming towards me and for some reason the car coming towards me feels it is OK to just swerve out into my lane to go around the bike and sets up a possible head-on crash. Idiots! :angry:

When we all have a lane to ride in, I would be happiest if everyone would use their appropriate lane.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I suspect he thought you were shooting him a bird. Not a friendly move. This is an unincorporated area, people can carry weapons if they want. Secondly, the county went to a lot of trouble building a "BIKE PATH" for the tourists that like to ride bikes. Most native Walton countians don't ride bikes, too many miles just to get anywhere. Most vehicles that drive on highways have to be street legal, ie, lights and the ability to drive the speed limit. Highway 30A is a narrow road without any shoulder, and riding a bicycle in the middle of the highway is dangerous, inconsiderate, and very irritating. When I see a cyclist in the middle of the road, I think, why did the county put in a bike path? What, do they think they own the road? They have to much leisure time on there hands! And when they don't move out of the way, they have just made a statement that they don't care about anyone else on the highway, or where the vehicles have to go. They are on vacation, and to heck with the rest of the world!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Are you sure it wasn't florida girl driving that truck? Sounds like she is trying to justify reasons for pulling a gun on a bicyclist.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Got me thinking -- Maybe we need to market little digital cameras, front and rear on our bikes, to record face shots and license plate shots of vehicles of people who commit assaults and threaten us.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I suspect he thought you were shooting him a bird. Not a friendly move. This is an unincorporated area, people can carry weapons if they want. Secondly, the county went to a lot of trouble building a "BIKE PATH" for the tourists that like to ride bikes. Most native Walton countians don't ride bikes, too many miles just to get anywhere. Most vehicles that drive on highways have to be street legal, ie, lights and the ability to drive the speed limit. Highway 30A is a narrow road without any shoulder, and riding a bicycle in the middle of the highway is dangerous, inconsiderate, and very irritating. When I see a cyclist in the middle of the road, I think, why did the county put in a bike path? What, do they think they own the road? They have to much leisure time on there hands! And when they don't move out of the way, they have just made a statement that they don't care about anyone else on the highway, or where the vehicles have to go. They are on vacation, and to heck with the rest of the world!

oh my

Maybe you should get the word out to the local morons who would pull a gun on somebody that the bicyclist they intimidate might just be the head of a Fortune 500 company considering opening a large operation in Walton County. Do you think that helps or hinders the cause of economic development you so desperately desire? Personally, I hope any redneck who pulls a pistol on anyone in our county is thrown in a small cell and sodomized to the point they wish they were cleaning up a five bedroom 30-A rental after a bunch of liquored up college kids spent spring break there.