Driving on the beach

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by FoX, Mar 23, 2005.

?

Should driving on the beach be banned?

1. yes

51 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. no

33 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. conditional (give conditions below)

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

A few years ago you could recognize every rusty jeep or truck on the beach. Now you see beach permits on a lot of $75,000 SUVs.

Should it be banned? Additional restrictions? Is it safe?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  2. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

I've done it several times. Love it and voted yes. I've yet to see any $75,000 SUV's. Saw a H2 once. Passed a Mercedes, BMW and Escalade all stuck up to their axles though:roll: . I would have helped but they had abandonded the vehicles and were probably well into the cooler. :D

3. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

If you vote yes, don't be afraid to tell us why.

4. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

The beach should be people/animals. Not automobiles. That's the only thing I don't like about Grayton Beach. (Compromise - maybe during the fall and winter seasons when it's mostly locals.)

5. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

It's very unique. One of those things unique to Grayton. Not everybody can do it (paid $100+ last year and I'm sure the fee will keep going up to limit use). It's fun to load up your stuff and friends drive out to the surf and set up camp for an hour or a day:cool: . I'm not a local but I have yet to see a traffic jam, or any close calls. The people I have seen are very cautious when driving on the beach.

I would imagine for the locals having the option of driving on the beach would be great! SmilinJOe could grab a wrap and some chips from one of his favorite restaurants, drive up to the surf and have a very nice lunch. After an hour or so go back to making millions in South Walton property :D .

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

... and often do.

7. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

I think it will have to be limited soon. I imagine price will go way up, because the county won't want to lose revenue.

It's getting dangerous on 4th of July, not only with a high number of vehicles on the beach after dark, but full of fireworks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the county ban vehicles after dark.

8. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

There is great potential for a major disaster as the rules are currently written. The rules state that you must be a Walton County property owner or full time resident in order to obtain a permit. However, look around at the license plates on most of the vehicles with Beach Permits, and you will see out-of-state plates. Everyone buying property here is also purchasing a Beach Permit if they have a 4x4 (probably mostly for a status symbol when they go back to the big city). I do think the number of permits should be limited, and not by the price. If they limit it, I would like to see it limited to people who have homesteaded property in Walton County.

Just my 2 cents worth.

9. Mike B.

Mike B. Beach Lover

I think it sounds like great fun and Ill have to give it a try later in the summer on one of my trips, but I do have a question about the environmental effects. Do the oil leaks, coolant leaks, transmission fluid, power steering, etc., not offer a possible problem or is it not enough to make a difference in the grand scheme of things?

10. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

You have to be a property owner. As far a the vehicle leaks. My 02 SUV doesn't have any. But some of the older veh's I see make me wonder.

11. Mike B.

Mike B. Beach Lover

Property owner? Oh well, I guess I'm gonna have to make friends with one so I can drive on the beach! :)

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Making friends with one wont help unless you intend on driving their vehicle. Maybe that surfer girl will let you ride her beach buggy.

13. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

There are lots of rules.

Here are some just from memory:

Must be a 4X4
    Must be a resident of South Walton and can prove it
    Have to prove you are the owner of the veh and I had to provide pics of the truck.
    Sticker must be permantly afixed in an obvious locatioin (Can't just throw it up on the dash or tape it to the window)
    You have to schedule the drivers that are allowd to drive the veh and they make a charge per driver.

I'm sure there are more rules. But those are the ones I remember. :cool:

14. Mike B.

Mike B. Beach Lover

Ahh yes... The surfer girl that I have yet to find. :)

Those are actually some great rules. I guess that prevents schmucks like me who come down for a weekend here and there from cruising all over the beach.

On a side note, how does that sand effect your trucks as far as sand getting into everything like wheel bearings, transfer case, rear dif.?

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Basically, your (my) vehicle will rust back into the earth from which it came. May it rest in peace.

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

No problems with mine yet '02 Z71 Burb. But I'm not down there all year long doing it. Most of the local "beach trucks" I've seen are pretty rough. Lots of rust and some make a lot of noise in the drive train. :cool:

17. Mike B.

Mike B. Beach Lover

I was guessing that rust and differential wear would happen over time. In that case it would be cool to get an old Jeep CJ7 as a second car beach cruiser!

18. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Those, old Grand Wagoneers, and old Toyota Land Crusiers just seem to float over the sand. My Burb ain't so graseful :cool:

19. Mike B.

Mike B. Beach Lover

I have a friend with a cherry restored 74 FJ40 Landcruiser that will go anywhere! We cant even get it stuck in Kentucky mud.

20. RiverOtter

RiverOtter got any pics?

Sounds perfect! Make him an offer :cool: