• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should driving on the beach be banned?

• yes

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • no

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • conditional (give conditions below)

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
A few years ago you could recognize every rusty jeep or truck on the beach. Now you see beach permits on a lot of $75,000 SUVs.

Should it be banned? Additional restrictions? Is it safe?

Last edited:

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
The beach should be people/animals. Not automobiles. That's the only thing I don't like about Grayton Beach. (Compromise - maybe during the fall and winter seasons when it's mostly locals.)

FoX said:
If you vote yes, don't be afraid to tell us why.

It's very unique. One of those things unique to Grayton. Not everybody can do it (paid $100+ last year and I'm sure the fee will keep going up to limit use). It's fun to load up your stuff and friends drive out to the surf and set up camp for an hour or a day:cool: . I'm not a local but I have yet to see a traffic jam, or any close calls. The people I have seen are very cautious when driving on the beach.

I would imagine for the locals having the option of driving on the beach would be great! SmilinJOe could grab a wrap and some chips from one of his favorite restaurants, drive up to the surf and have a very nice lunch. After an hour or so go back to making millions in South Walton property :D .

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
RiverOtter said:
SmilinJOe could grab a wrap and some chips from one of his favorite restaurants, drive up to the surf and have a very nice lunch.

... and often do.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I think it will have to be limited soon. I imagine price will go way up, because the county won't want to lose revenue.

It's getting dangerous on 4th of July, not only with a high number of vehicles on the beach after dark, but full of fireworks. I wouldn't be surprised to see the county ban vehicles after dark.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There is great potential for a major disaster as the rules are currently written. The rules state that you must be a Walton County property owner or full time resident in order to obtain a permit. However, look around at the license plates on most of the vehicles with Beach Permits, and you will see out-of-state plates. Everyone buying property here is also purchasing a Beach Permit if they have a 4x4 (probably mostly for a status symbol when they go back to the big city). I do think the number of permits should be limited, and not by the price. If they limit it, I would like to see it limited to people who have homesteaded property in Walton County.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think it sounds like great fun and Ill have to give it a try later in the summer on one of my trips, but I do have a question about the environmental effects. Do the oil leaks, coolant leaks, transmission fluid, power steering, etc., not offer a possible problem or is it not enough to make a difference in the grand scheme of things?

Mike B. said:
I think it sounds like great fun and Ill have to give it a try later in the summer on one of my trips, but I do have a question about the environmental effects. Do the oil leaks, coolant leaks, transmission fluid, power steering, etc., not offer a possible problem or is it not enough to make a difference in the grand scheme of things?

You have to be a property owner. As far a the vehicle leaks. My 02 SUV doesn't have any. But some of the older veh's I see make me wonder.