• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

amylouky

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
What is it, exactly? Is it safe for a 1-year old to be playing in?
(showing my ignorance here..)
Also, how's the water/beach around the Seagrove area? Is it fairly clear,
or does it still look like this? (sorry for the HUGE pic at the link..)
Dennis%207-16-05%20(084).JPG

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
I saw the same "black sand" last year after Ivan around Pompano Joes and tried to figure it out as well. It felt kinda oily

Hopefully someone out there knows.

From what I am hearing the water is beautiful again. Emerald Green !!!!!!

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
It's just the peat that was underneath all the layers of sand. The area used to be a mangrove forest if I'm remembering correctly. There are threads that explain all of this. Do a search under "peat".

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
amylouky said:
Is it safe for a 1-year old to be playing in?
Peat and/or decaying matter more or less. I'd expect probably not the best thing for a small tyke to play in. Beach sand in general is pretty much of a petri dish of sorts - think warm, moist, plenty of food for micro critters. Not that big of deal when they're old enough to not be putting everything into their mouths, but prior to that age...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OhioBeachBum said:
Peat and/or decaying matter more or less. I'd expect probably not the best thing for a small tyke to play in. Beach sand in general is pretty much of a petri dish of sorts - think warm, moist, plenty of food for micro critters. Not that big of deal when they're old enough to not be putting everything into their mouths, but prior to that age...

I have very little friends who seem to think it taste good on Cheetos.:dunno: Be careful though, especially if eating the dark sand on the beach in Gulf Trace. Yuck!

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Smiling JOe said:
I have very little friends who seem to think it taste good on Cheetos.:dunno: Be careful though, especially if eating the dark sand on the beach in Gulf Trace. Yuck!
Ick - rather taste a froggy :D

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Smiling JOe said:
Well that option is available at Hunt's Oyster Bar in downtown Paneemaw Sh_tty. Did I just say that?
Hmmm - avatar consumption? :blink:
I'm not much into oyster bar fare - besides, froggys be more fun to watch than to eat. :cool:
Now an Otter's tastes might be running in those directions. :D
Speaking of which, haven't heard from him today. Maybe out lounging around?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OhioBeachBum said:
Now an Otter's tastes might be running in those directions. :D
Speaking of which, haven't heard from him today. Maybe out lounging around?
He is probably out trying to close some big business deal so that he can get down here permanently.:dunno::D

Smiling JOe said:

SJ :nono1: , "we've been over this and over this. There's what's right and there's what right, and never the 'tween shall meet."

-Raizing Arizona

We'll make it right at Gulf Trace, you watch. ;-)