1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question about the black "sand" on the beaches..

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by amylouky, Aug 8, 2005.

1. amylouky

amylouky Beach Lover

What is it, exactly? Is it safe for a 1-year old to be playing in?
    (showing my ignorance here..)
    Also, how's the water/beach around the Seagrove area? Is it fairly clear,
    or does it still look like this? (sorry for the HUGE pic at the link..)
    [​IMG]

2. Beachlover2

Beachlover2 Beach Fanatic

I saw the same "black sand" last year after Ivan around Pompano Joes and tried to figure it out as well. It felt kinda oily

Hopefully someone out there knows.

From what I am hearing the water is beautiful again. Emerald Green !!!!!!

3. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

It's just the peat that was underneath all the layers of sand. The area used to be a mangrove forest if I'm remembering correctly. There are threads that explain all of this. Do a search under "peat".

4. OhioBeachBum

OhioBeachBum Beach Fanatic

Peat and/or decaying matter more or less. I'd expect probably not the best thing for a small tyke to play in. Beach sand in general is pretty much of a petri dish of sorts - think warm, moist, plenty of food for micro critters. Not that big of deal when they're old enough to not be putting everything into their mouths, but prior to that age...

5. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I have very little friends who seem to think it taste good on Cheetos.:idontno: Be careful though, especially if eating the dark sand on the beach in Gulf Trace. Yuck!

6. OhioBeachBum

Ick - rather taste a froggy :D

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Well that option is available at Hunt's Oyster Bar in downtown Paneemaw Sh_tty. Did I just say that?

8. OhioBeachBum

Hmmm - avatar consumption? :blink:
    I'm not much into oyster bar fare - besides, froggys be more fun to watch than to eat. :cool:
    Now an Otter's tastes might be running in those directions. :D
    Speaking of which, haven't heard from him today. Maybe out lounging around?

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

He is probably out trying to close some big business deal so that he can get down here permanently.:idontno::D

10. Moondance

Moondance Beach Fanatic

SJ :nono1: , "we've been over this and over this. There's what's right and there's what right, and never the 'tween shall meet."

-Raizing Arizona

We'll make it right at Gulf Trace, you watch. ;-)

11. JB

JB Beach Fanatic

I have a related question for anyone who would know: Why is the exposed peat particularly bad on the 30-A beaches? Since Dennis, all the photos I have seen of Destin, Miramar and Sandestin show much whiter, sandier beaches. One would think it would be worse the further west you go.

12. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

I'm going to let someone else take that one since scraping may be involved and it just gets my blood to boiling and I start screaming about idiots and the idiots that parented them and I then have to be medicated and it just takes too much out of the work day. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

13. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

This is really a good ?...not a dumb ? As my son says...there are no dumb ?'s!!!

I also have notice even since Opal ('95) that the sand down around the Back Porch in Destin has been whiter and more abundant. The SoWal sand was never the same after that storm. Marine...deep breath and visualize the beach with NO TRASH! Darn, now my blood is percolating!

14. seaside gal

seaside gal Beach Comber

How is the sand a water at Seagrove? Is it still raining there? We will be there at Seagrove August 14! Just wandering how the beaches are. :cool:
    We are staying at Dunes of Seagrove, our first time there. Seems the beach access there are fine, I'm guessing!

Any info would be appreciated,
    Thanks, Seaside gal.

15. amylouky

amylouky Beach Lover

Check out this thread.. Seaside and Seagrove damage/access - SoWal Beaches Forum
    Looks like the access at Dunes of Seagrove is still down. Not sure what your options are, maybe someone else will know?
    We'll be there that week too, btw! Not looking forward to the 11+ hour drive, but it'll be worth it!

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I heard someone yesterday in a rental office telling someone that the closest access to the Beach in Seagrove was One Seagrove Place, the tallest building around 30-A. This person said that they heard that One Seagrove Place was being very considerate to others, and allowing others to go through the lobby in One Seagrove Place to get to the only access in that area. I highly recommend you giving a courtesy call to One Seagrove Place to confirm if it is true before heading over there.

One Seagrove Place
    4100 E. Scenic Hwy 30-A
    Seagrove Beach, FL 32459
    Main Office
    (850) 231-5032
    (800) 368-9100
    Fax
    (850) 231-5543

17. ktmeadows

ktmeadows Beach Fanatic

I do remember One Seagrove Place allowing folks to go through the lobby and use their access after Ivan. Not sure if that's the case again now, but I wouldn't be surprised.

18. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

If it is true, Kudos to One Seagrove Place and its owners for being an excellent examples of hospitality.

19. bsmart

bsmart brain

Its called paleosand. SOME areas around Destin once removed the sand dunes and the ancient material underneath them for easier beach access for the tourists. They have been replaced by natural processes over time, but compared to the dunes in South Walton most are not as old. Here in SoWal, we love the natural environment, and the sand dunes are ancient, hence the paleo sand that is underneath, which is disturbed during storms, and the differences in sand color from one local to the next.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2005