1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

Dune Lake Fishing

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by Mike Smith, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Beach Lover

What's the fishing like in the dune lakes? I was thinking of giving it a try at Deer Lake in a few weeks. I assumed there might be some nice bass, but with the brackish nature of the lakes I wasn't sure. I'm a catch and release and licensed fisherman.

Any insights and advice would be appreciated.

2. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

I've done quite a bit of fishing in Western Lake. I have caught bass, redfish, all sorts of panfish, and an occasional jack and black drum. I have heard that you can also catch alligator gar, mullet, flounder, stingray, and ... I've never fished deer lake, but if I did, I would work the bank for bass and redfish with a gold spinnerbait or spoon. Good luck! Let us know what you catch!

3. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

Soft plastic jerkbaits twitched slowly at or near the surface used to work well for bass. I haven't tried in years, though, and don't know what it's like now.

4. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Beach Lover

Thanks Jimmy! That's a lot more variety of fish than I thought there might be. I appreciate the suggestions on lures, too. I'll be sure to report what I catch. I'll be at Deer lake between Christmas and new years!

5. BeachSteelers

BeachSteelers Beach Fanatic

Red Tide killed off much of the fish in western lake as well as a few others last month.

6. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Stinky's Bait Shack, located on Lake Allen next to Stinky's Fish Camp, could advise you. Unfortunately they are closed for the season right now. But you can still get live bait there.

7. Garner

Garner Beach Fanatic

Yellowfin is open every day, year round at two locations. The main store is on Heron's Watch Way, just north of 30A, by Old Florida Fish House restaurant (and as close to Deer Lake as you can get). The second year round location is in the Watercolor Publix shopping center next to the liquor store. The Grayton store is open daily in season and most weekends off season. All stores are fully staffed (five licensed fishing guides) and stocked for all of your fishing needs and desires.

8. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Beach Lover

Thx Garner. Glad to hear you're open. I was hoping to pop into the Seagrove store when we get to town.

9. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Really? I Doubt it. Usually the kill is just near the outfall. And sometimes just fish washed in from the gulf.

10. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Beach Lover

Good to know. I had read that the red tide didn't affect fresh water but the dune lakes are unique. Given that there are fish in them and the red tide happens at least every year, I'll remain optimistic.

11. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Beach Lover

I fished yesterday in Deer Lake on the outflow and walked as far back as I could. No hits yet. Tried a jig with spinner, spinner bait, and a couple of others.

Guess that's why it's called fishing instead of catching. :). I'll give it another go this week and report back.

12. mommaDee

mommaDee Beach Comber

My son fishes in Deer Lake several different times a year. He trolls while peddling his fishing kayak -- he just uses a jig. He has caught speckled trout and red fish but hasn't even had a nibble this Christmas season. He was here in October and caught several red fish -- and then the red tide came in and the fish all died. He referred to it an apocalypse! He was able to surf fish in the Gulf yesterday and today and caught a blue fish and a small black tipped shark using squid, mackerel and shrimp as bait . He gets all his supplies at Yellow Fin. I get my fish at Goatfeathers!