• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
It is unrealistic to expect any ordinance to result in the demolition of existing structures that were built before the ordinance was enacted.
So, then in reality...the ordinance is not really intended to protect anything.
More...to stop one property owner from developing his property, while allowing those "already in" to continue to enjoy the development of their property.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It's more complex than that. For instance, if current home owners were to have their homes destroyed they would not be able to build back to present size but would have to conform to the ordinance. The ordinance effectively devalues property bought at a premium. There are several past threads explaining it.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
It's more complex than that. For instance, if current home owners were to have their homes destroyed they would not be able to build back to present size but would have to conform to the ordinance. The ordinance effectively devalues property bought at a premium. There are several past threads explaining it.
And meanwhile:
one property owner is denied developing his property, while allowing those "already in" to continue to enjoy the development of their property.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
After every ordinance is passed, the new developers have to conformed to the new ordinance. This has been going on since the beginning of the legal system. Not sure I understand your gripe.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
After every ordinance is passed, the new developers have to conformed to the new ordinance. This has been going on since the beginning of the legal system. Not sure I understand your gripe.
Im not talking about new 1st tier or major development of larger tracts.
I'm talking sbout an already plated area where it's 99% built out and along comes one who has a new set of new rules.
I'm all for development regs. But there needs to be common sense.

Look at Grayton just south of 30A for example. Pandora's, Hibiscus, etc.
Go try and develop the vacant nearby property and let me know how that works out for ya. LoL

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
Who reviewed the project? Seems like some pretty big issues should have gotten it immediately rejected. Isn't that why we have a planning department?

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
This is so typical.. Unless these people have a building permit issued by the county, how in the world are they allowed to start construction?? Has anyone called code enforcement or inquired?