• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bamcon

Beach Comber
Sep 5, 2005
What does one typically catch in Eastern Lake, in warmer weather? Am considering buying a place on one of its canals or slue (?) and was curious about the fishing. Also, what type of boat would be the best for such fishing. A boat would need to be figured into the Budget! Thanks.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You need to go over to Yellowfin Ocean Sports in Seagrove, and they can hook you up with the perfect kayak rigged for fishing. The fish will vary a bit, depending upon the salinity, which varies quite a bit. Expect Redfish and Bass as two of the better finds.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
As SJ said the fish vary depending on openings to the Gulf. A kayak works fine or a small john boat. Don't let the pontoon boats all over the place fool you.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
remember that the salinity will be highest near the outfall, and salt water is more dense than fresh, so the bottom will be saltier than the top.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I've talked to people who've caught reds and specks in Eastern, but I've caught all fresh water variety. Then again, I was using fresh water tackle. I fish from a kayak and have put my bass boat in there as well, but only because I had other people who I was entertaining. I prefer the kayak. You will catch as many bass as you could want to in there on a variety of lures. Of course, I have my favorites. But the bass are small in there. There are a bunch of them though and it can be fun. Of course, I throw all of the fish back because it is a small area if you think about it and I just kinda like conservation. I sometimes wonder though if Eastern lake could actually use a reduction in the number of fish to possibly have those left able to gain in size. Anyway, good luck.

Captain Larry

SoWal.com Featured Blogger
Mar 21, 2006
Eastern Lake
As mentioned allready, the species change w/ salinity. Eastern Lake ( which I live on) will have spectacular trout fishing for a few years, then the black snapper will be the predominate species for a while and then perhaps redfish. Right now the healthy population seems to Largemouth Bass. I think the reason most are small is that the lake has just been "fresh" for under 2 years now. If it stays with the low salinity the bass will thrive and a lot of these 1 pounders will be 5# in a few years- If the gulf starts comimg in regularly again the bass population will be pushed up to the back of the creeks and will decline to fit the fresh water boundries- but- the trout will come back quick!

In the 40 + years I've been fishing the dune lakes I have caught just about every fresh and salt water species around in them except groupers, cobia and kings. I have caught pomps, spanish, jacks snappers etc quite often when the salinity stays high for a few years---

One of the better aspects of fishing here- you never know what is going to be at the other end of the line---

Back in early winter when the lake was high I counted 28 Bass swimming along the Southern edge of the lake mouth -- within 15 feet of the Gulf- while I was pompano fishing!!

Capt Deadfish

Mark Partington

Beach Lover
Dec 10, 2007
walton county
www.flickr.com
Ive never thrown a line in because I had the feeling this was snag city.
It sounds alot like fishing near the mouth of the rivers runnin into the bay-you hit trout,pompano,reds-its wild out there-the mix.
thanks capt'n.
Again yellowfin is always happy to not make me feel nearly as stoopid as I am.
I have learned you can have an amazing range in yjiour tackle box-then somedays you could string a skeleton key.
you just gotta hold your mouth right,get all empty headed-shut up & fish.
m

lsucajuns

Beach Lover
Jun 10, 2008
Dune Allen
hendersonscott66.wix.com
A few Fish

Here are a few pictures of a evening at Eastern. We would catch about 10-15 in the early evening to night.
What a great time

Kayak Fish

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
I used to catch black drum in there maybe 5 or 6 years ago. A couple were over 10lbs, and then after a while I didn't catch anymore. Caught quite a few mangrove snapper that weren't very big, and some redfish. Sometimes a stingray, some trout, croakers. You just never knew what you'd catch and that was what made it fun. These lakes really are great.